SaysWho?

As someone who isn't a very big fan of the vania side of Metroidvania's would this appeal to me in any other way than a regular Castlevania (like SOTN) would?

I haven't had a ton of time to gauge how this gameplay plays, only watched like 30 minutes of gameplay last night from a streamer. 

16 minutes ago, Nokt said:

As someone who isn't a very big fan of the vania side of Metroidvania's would this appeal to me in any other way than a regular Castlevania (like SOTN) would?

I haven't had a ton of time to gauge how this gameplay plays, only watched like 30 minutes of gameplay last night from a streamer.  

Did it look appealing to you in the 30 minutes you watched? I think that would be enough time to gauge if the game is for you or not.

49 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Did it look appealing to you in the 30 minutes you watched? I think that would be enough time to gauge if the game is for you or not.

Games don't always look as they seem. Hollow Knight and SOTN are good examples, look fun, and like a Metroidvania that I would like to play, but for whatever reason they just don't click with me. I have the same feeling this would be the same because it looks fun, I just don't click with vanias. 

35 minutes ago, Nokt said:

Games don't always look as they seem. Hollow Knight and SOTN are good examples, look fun, and like a Metroidvania that I would like to play, but for whatever reason they just don't click with me. I have the same feeling this would be the same because it looks fun, I just don't click with vanias. 

I don't think you'll like it then.

Maybe it will come to gamepass and you can try it out.

• Like 1

I was the same way with SotN and Hollow Knight. I only got way into Hollow Knight after watching Joseph Anderson's review, which showed off some later game combat, where the game picked up a lot.

And I've been having a glass l blast! But I still couldn't say whether you'd like this or not.

4 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

I was the same way with SotN and Hollow Knight. I only got way into Hollow Knight after watching Joseph Anderson's review, which showed off some later game combat, where the game picked up a lot.

And I've been having a glass l blast! But I still couldn't say whether you'd like this or not.

You've been having a what.

5 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

And I've been having a glass l blast!

You...what? 

A buddy of mine got this game and put 30 hours into and beat it. Says he’s gonna go back and pick up more of the collectibles and whatnot. But I think that is a testament to how good the game is. It ain’t no Mighty No. 9

He’s planning on double-dipping with the Switch version, for portable play. I’ll likely start playing this tomorrow. Looking forward to it!

For you purists in here, how does this game hold up in the Castlevania series? One thing I'm a stickler on is it has to FEEL like Castlevania. If it doesn't have the atmosphere, setting, and most importantly the music done right then it's just another video game.

Just started the switch version, in the main castle now, and I’m loving it. Obviously unless you really want this as a handheld game get it on anything else, but I think certain areas are exaggerating it. Maybe it’s a combo of having low expectation for how it would end up looking and not having seen how it runs on pc/console but it seems fine to me. 

But whatever, I’m having a glass I blast.

• Haha 1

Well I played the Switch version today to see for myself. It is not that bad. Not the best presentation. I went back to my PS4 game tonight and beat a few bosses and also got the bad ending. I'm really getting near the home stretch. I can see finishing this game this week.

WARNING REGARDING PS4 VERSION

A buddy of mine got the PS4 game and it hard crashed on him multiple times. Lost his progress each time and had to start from scratch over and over. 

Another friend played 30 hours of it without issues on his PS4. So...be careful. Save often. Don’t play for extended periods of time without taking breaks here and there.

I’ve been playing the Switch version (been playing IGAvanias on handhelds for years now, no need to stop now) and it’s pretty good. Graphics are a bit “low rent” and controls feel a little “floaty” compared to past games IGA has directed...but otherwise decent. 

Music is awesome. So there is that, at least.

52 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I played it for a few minutes last night, mostly just to test it on Switch. I kinda wish I'd kept my Steam backing. It doesn't feel or look broken, but definitely inferior. I'm working on a couple other games right now, so I'll focus on them and come back to Bloodstained when they do some fixes. 

You can get the steam version on Fanatical for $28 if you use fanatical10 coupon code.

Bought it but was only able to spend an hour or so on it thus far. It's so damn ugly, it's almost impressive and I thought maybe it'd be nicer in motion. I shit on Hollow Knight's visuals first but ended up really liking them in practice, not here though.  Gameplay is pretty good so far but something feels off about movement compared to his previous titles I've played. 

I'll reserve full judgment until I'm really further into it but first impressions are okay. 

51 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

It's odd, I've seen two "ugly" comments but I was pleasantly surprised by the visuals. Maybe it just looks like ass on consoles.

I just can't stand the overall art style and think the backgrounds are terrible compared to something like SotN. For some reason I find the entire HUD to look really "cheap" as well. The damage numbers and so on all have this generic font and so on.

It's not the resolution or frame rate or anything technical like that, just the art direction in general. 

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

It's odd, I've seen two "ugly" comments but I was pleasantly surprised by the visuals. Maybe it just looks like ass on consoles.

Here is the hard truth: all games today have good to great graphics. We've reached a point where objectively bad graphics really don't exist. 

Now its just up to personal preference. 

13 minutes ago, GameDadGrant said:

Here is the hard truth: all games today have good to great graphics. We've reached a point where objectively bad graphics really don't exist. 

Now its just up to personal preference.  

Yeah but neither of you specified that's what you meant.

• Guillotine 1

2 hours ago, elbobo said:

I "beat" it last night, not even half the castle uncovered but not really sure where else I was supposed to go. 

Spoiler

I'm guessing you got the bad ending. Did you beat the guy in the end? Have you beaten the boss that uses blood for a dress? If so you gshe you an ability to drian blood for life. you use that in the room with a huge bath of blood.

54 minutes ago, Rodimus said:
  Hide contents

I'm guessing you got the bad ending. Did you beat the guy in the end? Have you beaten the boss that uses blood for a dress? If so you gshe you an ability to drian blood for life. you use that in the room with a huge bath of blood.

never fought her

7 hours ago, Rodimus said:

Do you have the ability to beam yourself? If so there is a tall area you can use that ability to climb.

yeah I got that but I have a bunch of other games I picked up on the steam sale to get through before I go back to bloodstained