Update (12/07): Foundation (Apple TV+) renewed for a third season

1 hour ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

We should put the title in quotation marks to reflect what appears to be its tenuous relationship to the source material.

It really does look like a Hari Seldon biopic. On its own that wouldn't be horrible (really, it's the prequel books)...but it also appears that the entire galaxy knows about Seldon? And that he is broadcasting (or at least telling some people) his plan? But the entire reason the Foundation succeeded was because even the people inside the Foundation were ignorant to its purpose. Only by the galaxy being ignorant of psychohistory could Seldon control the future.

3 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

It really does look like a Hari Seldon biopic. On its own that wouldn't be horrible (really, it's the prequel books)...but it also appears that the entire galaxy knows about Seldon? And that he is broadcasting (or at least telling some people) his plan? But the entire reason the Foundation succeeded was because even the people inside the Foundation were ignorant to its purpose. Only by the galaxy being ignorant of psychohistory could Seldon control the future.

It's David S. Goyer, we're in trouble. Despite that, he did do an interview recently mentioning the time jumps and such, so . . . they are aware, at least.

David-S-Goyer.jpeg
WWW.SLASHFILM.COM

The Dark Knight and Man of Steel writer David S. Goyer shared some stories of the worst (and best) notes he's received from studio executives.

He makes it sound like they're adapting the books properly, but it doesn't look like it . . . 

• 1 month later...

My wife and I will be reading the first book before jumping into this (well, a re-read for me), but afterwards we'll be watching. Slashfilm and Collider were both positive, surprisingly.

l-intro-1632445393.jpg
WWW.SLASHFILM.COM

The Apple TV+ adaptation of Foundation is a stunning reinvention of the original novels, bringing new life to a science fiction classic.

Watched the first episode. I didn’t read the books so I have nothing to compare it to. I liked it. The world is beautiful and interesting enough that I want to keep watching to learn more about it. The time jump is intriguing but isnt confusing yet, which is nice. Mostly well acted so far. First episode did it’s job and I’m curious/excited to see where it goes next. 

12 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

Watched the first episode. I didn’t read the books so I have nothing to compare it to. I liked it. The world is beautiful and interesting enough that I want to keep watching to learn more about it. The time jump is intriguing but isnt confusing yet, which is nice. Mostly well acted so far. First episode did it’s job and I’m curious/excited to see where it goes next. 

Just a heads up two episodes dropped last night, unless you watched both thinking it was one whole episode possibly. 

• 3 weeks later...

Now that we're four episodes into the show, I have some thoughts:

- MY GOD @ the production values!  Apple certainly spared no expense there!

- I'm completely engaged with anything that involves Trantor and the Galactic Empire.  This  is where the show REALLY shines.

- Up until the last episode, I was completely DISengaged with anything that didn't involve Trantor and the Galactic Empire.  The "romance" in the second episode was downright PAINFUL!  I think the worst aspect of the non-Trantor sequences is the near-religious worship of Hari Seldon when the show really did very little to provide a justifiable foundation (see what I did there?) for that degree of fervor.

All-in-all, I'd give the show a 6.5 or 7.0 so far - it's not bad by any measure whatsoever, but there are definite areas where the quality hopefully improves.

i’m 3 episodes in and like it but it’s not great yet. the empire stuff with dawn day and dusk is really good. the other stuff is just alright. i knew nothing about the source and the time jumps kinda bummed me out lmao. i was liking the characters we had. 

8 minutes ago, johnny said:

i’m 3 episodes in and like it but it’s not great yet. the empire stuff with dawn day and dusk is really good. the other stuff is just alright. i knew nothing about the source and the time jumps kinda bummed me out lmao. i was liking the characters we had. 

Don't be concerned about the source material as any resemblance at this point is purely tangential.

From what I recall from the books this seems to be some of Forward the Foundation, Foundation, and Foundation and Empire.  I am still puzzled about what was going on at the end of the second episode, but I'm assuming it's going to be explained at some point.

Spoiler

I get the feeling it has to do with Seldon saying he didn't think he would be making the trip.  He could not be alive when the colony arrived.  The people leaving the ship I'm assuming may have to do with the 2nd foundation cause where else would they go.

There are certainly some changes in this, but I'm actually pretty okay so far with the changes they made. While different, they're trying to weave in the same ideas in a form that works for a show medium and that's appropriate. That's in stark contrast to the I, Robot movie which made changes that practically spit on everything Asimov had to say about robots.

The fact that Demerzel, who otherwise only features in the prequels (and other stories in a different way), is in the show already makes me so excited about the fullness of the universe they may strive for.

Hopefully they don't fuck it up!

Just finished episode 3/4. Yeah just like everyone else I’m completely and utterly engaged in everything on Tranton and with the Empire. Everything else was a giant ball of meh until episode 4 and now I’m pretty into that stuff as well. 

The time jumps weren’t confusing but were a little jarring and disappointing in that I wanted to spend more time with those characters. But after 4 episodes im getting a better sense of how this is all going to work so im more ok with the jumps. 

Also Lee Pace is amazing and I could watch a full 60 min of just him. 

On the one hand I'm happy that sci fi is getting this kind of budget and treatment...but on the other (so far, at least), the actual ideas of Foundation (which make it great, since the writing kind of sucks) aren't really translating. Salvor Hardin was great because they were intelligent and smart enough to avoid violence to save Terminus. The show's Hardin is...a chosen one? Or something? And likes violence, maybe? And in Foundation, the Empire wasn't really a part of the books, it was all about how scientists (with very little access to advanced math or psychology, initially) could survive when surrounded by massive spacefaring provinces and kingdoms.

FWIW, Trantor and the empire are explored a lot more in the prequel novels Prelude to Foundation and Forward the Foundation. There are changes, but this is why I say they are clearly trying to wrangle the whole universe into a show form and considering the novels huge time jumps that requires changes.

Like, Demerzel is the most influential character in the entire Foundation timeline by a mile, but doesn't feature in the original 3 Foundation novels.

3 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

As long as Gaia doesn't appear, then I'll be happy.

:lol: My wife hated Gaia as a "character" but I liked the idea Asimov was playing with.

The idea being making humanity follow the zeroth + 3 laws themselves with a way to more directly refer to "humanity" and safeguard the totality.

I finally caught up on the show, and even though I was a huge fan of the Foundation novels, I'm really enjoying the direction they are taking with this series. Any time Jared Harris shows up in a series automatically tells me it's going to be high quality. It had been so long since I read the books that all I remembered of Trantor was the fact that it was covered in metal (and you never saw the real sun), so seeing it fleshed out as they're doing is really awesome to see.

The scenes on Terminus seem like they're almost a completely different show than what's happening in Foundation, and only because I know the history (or the psychohistory) do I understand why they're actually focusing on it so much. If I didn't have the foundation (yeah, I did it, too) of knowledge of having read the series beforehand, I might be completely lost. But that might just be an assumption on my part.

So far, the emperor has proved to be the most fascinating character throughout the entire series, and for some reason I always thought I'd be saying that about Hari Seldon instead.

I really, really hate it when a show spends a significant amount of an episode's runtime going over the details of an event we have already been told about and we've even seen to some extent. This episode spent a full third of its runtime on Gaal's excommunication from her religion/society/planet/whatever. We've already seen this. It was the opening of the show. We learned nothing new about her character in this time. We learned of some actions she took. She threw a math book into their ocean and then changed her mind and went and got it. Great. But those are pretty unimportant details after the fact. And we didn't need 15 minutes to see that. Coming back to it in episode five and wasting that much time on it--again, when we've already seen it and she even talked about it in more detail in the episode--instead of spending time with her where she is now math-ing the shit out of her situation, or more time with the situation on Terminus, or more time with Brother Dawn's deviation is so frustrating to me.

8 hours ago, brucoe said:

I finally caught up on the show, and even though I was a huge fan of the Foundation novels, I'm really enjoying the direction they are taking with this series. Any time Jared Harris shows up in a series automatically tells me it's going to be high quality. It had been so long since I read the books that all I remembered of Trantor was the fact that it was covered in metal (and you never saw the real sun), so seeing it fleshed out as they're doing is really awesome to see.

The scenes on Terminus seem like they're almost a completely different show than what's happening in Foundation, and only because I know the history (or the psychohistory) do I understand why they're actually focusing on it so much. If I didn't have the foundation (yeah, I did it, too) of knowledge of having read the series beforehand, I might be completely lost. But that might just be an assumption on my part.

So far, the emperor has proved to be the most fascinating character throughout the entire series, and for some reason I always thought I'd be saying that about Hari Seldon instead.

I've never read the books and I don't feel at all lost. And 100% agreed the emperor is a super fascinating character. The first half of the third episode that focused on the mechanics, morality, humanity, etc. of this dynastic structure was some of the most compelling sci-fi I've seen in a long time.

After reading that post I assumed I’d be so bored by the latest episode. But I found the flashback stuff to be really interesting. Yeah we knew that stuff happened but it was still fascinating to actually see it. This show is building such an immersive and interesting world that I was 100% with getting to spend some time with a new part of that world to get a better understanding of how it works. 

The stuff with the ship and mathing the hell out of her situation was pretty awesome. The stuff at the Foundation went back to being kinda meh. Hell of a cliff hanger though. 

• 2 weeks later...