I'm stuck in Super Metroid, please help

Chris-

12 hours ago, Bjomesphat said:

Oh yeah, regular wall jumping is definitely an intended feature where you go back and forth up a narrow corridor. I'm talking about single-wall wall jumping. I think that was an unintended result. And thinking back on it now, instead of removing wall jumping completely, it seems like they purposely placed platforms to stop you from abusing single wall jumping.

Oh, I get what you meant now. Yeah, you might be right about that.

Ok, now I'm positively fucked. I'm in Norfair and here are the potential paths and the ways in which I fail to break through...

- Two blaster-activated locks (wrong side of the lock);

- A green door which requires the grapple beam (no grapple beam);

- An orange door (no super bombs);

- A super bomb block in the hallway leading to the next barrier (no super bombs); and

- A small little gap, but it's impossible to get to due to acid and a variety of green germ-looking things.

There is an item right beneath the save room at the Norfair entrance that seemingly will have *something* to help with, but I can't fucking get to it! It's driving me insane! I spent 40 minutes going in a giant circle randomly shooting/bombing shit!

53 minutes ago, Chris- said:

Ok, now I'm positively fucked. I'm in Norfair and here are the potential paths and the ways in which I fail to break through...

- Two blaster-activated locks (wrong side of the lock);

- A green door which requires the grapple beam (no grapple beam);

- An orange door (no super bombs);

- A super bomb block in the hallway leading to the next barrier (no super bombs); and

- A small little gap, but it's impossible to get to due to acid and a variety of green germ-looking things.

There is an item right beneath the save room at the Norfair entrance that seemingly will have *something* to help with, but I can't fucking get to it! It's driving me insane! I spent 40 minutes going in a giant circle randomly shooting/bombing shit!

What upgrades and weapons do you have? Also, don't feel like you have to stay in Norfair. If you have new skills, there could be newly accessible paths in previous areas.

Whenever I play a Metroidvania, I try to keep a running tab in my mind of inaccessible areas, and what is the most likely type of traversal item I'll need to get there.

6 minutes ago, Bjomesphat said:

What upgrades and weapons do you have? Also, don't feel like you have to stay in Norfair. If you have new skills, there could be newly accessible paths in previous areas.

Whenever I play a Metroidvania, I try to keep a running tab in my mind of inaccessible areas, and what is the most likely type of traversal item I'll need to get there.

I have missiles, super missiles, morph ball, bombs, spazer beam, speed booster, high jump boots, and Varia suit. I can't really leave Norfair because it appears that my only way out (after running through a few corridors) is a dead end (can't really jump up to anything; room with an energy tank re-filler). 

Okay, I looked up a big map and I *think* I know where you are. Can you get to a room where there's an earthquake effect and there's a face shooting flames at you at the end? There's a way to get further into that room, and that will get you on a pathway where you can backtrack to the green bubble area where you would have been before. Once you can get there, without getting too specific, there is some stuff that you will be able to access at the beginning of Norfair with the speed booster. Let me know if you want outright specifics, but hopefully that's vague enough if you don't.

12 hours ago, Chris- said:

I have missiles, super missiles, morph ball, bombs, spazer beam, speed booster, high jump boots, and Varia suit. I can't really leave Norfair because it appears that my only way out (after running through a few corridors) is a dead end (can't really jump up to anything; room with an energy tank re-filler). 

There's only one more item you need, and once you get that I think it will click for where to go next. The item is really easy to miss, but the game gives you a subtle hint of where to go. Has to do with enemy movement patterns.

Another broad hint, think about areas where surely there must have been something to find, but ended up having nothing. There's never a path in Super Metroid that leads to nothing.

Stuck here:

uw95Gyy.jpg
6yRbqVN.jpg

The item underneath the save room? Can’t figure out how to get to it (across from my location is the grapple beam-separated green door):

61mYXkR.jpg

Another seeming dead end (map above is slightly out of date; I had since gotten to here down the western corridor):

OsDJRXw.jpg

• Like 1

I played this game intensely for about 1-2 years when I was 14-15. The reason it was intense was because we bought a used cartridge...and if you powered off the SNES, the save data was wiped. In fact, if you even jostled the SNES, the game would reboot and wipe. So we had to beat the game each time in a single sitting (well, we'd leave it running overnight, and my best friend would come back the next day). Glorious summer holidays. One time we put 10-15 hours in and my mom hit the TV stand while vacuuming and we lost it all...so sad. We just started over. Good memories, and a great game.