I'm stuck in Super Metroid, please help

Chris-

I took like a week-long break between play sessions which means I have completely forgotten where I should go next; I have 10 missiles and 5 super missiles, and I seemingly need to find a way to open orange doors in order to get to the wrecked ship.

I don't think you're quite to the wrecked ship. Orange doors are super bombs. I think you want to be in Norfair. Could be wrong. If I could see your map, I could maybe  help, but it's been a while.

I used to be able to 100% Super Metroid in an hour and 45 minutes back in the day. I've probably beaten it 100 times, but it's been a while.

53 minutes ago, Bjomesphat said:

What other power ups do you have? Beaten any bosses? Exhaust everything you can do in the Norfair area and Lower Brinstar before dealing with yellow doors. 

I have the ball and bomb; I think I’ve beaten two bosses? 

45 minutes ago, stepee said:

how high r u right now bro

Yes. 

• Haha 1

Orange doors are power bombs, which you get in the orange part of Brinstar (the part with this music). Unless you wanna do some fancy wall jumping that is not part of the intended route of the game, you need to find the ice beam in Norfair to access that part of Brinstar. If you've already beaten Kraid, the lizard dude who's two screens big, then go explore norfair more. If you haven't done that yet, then go find and kill Kraid.

8 hours ago, Chris- said:

Nah I’m good; made my way forward and picked up a bunch more missiles, another energy tank, a map, and I just got the high-jump boots. Saved right outside that room and am calling it a night. Good game so far. 

You’re on the right path then. Just keep in mind there are secrets everywhere and hidden destructible walls to find. 

53 minutes ago, Bjomesphat said:

You’re on the right path then. Just keep in mind there are secrets everywhere and hidden destructible walls to find. 

It's taken me awhile to catch on to the hidden destructible paths...This latest session I got to two places which seemed like functional dead ends, with no real path back to where I had come from, until I discovered parts of the floor/wall that were destructible. Devious.

This thread is a great example of why I've always struggled to get into Metroid games.  I know that the appeal is the lack of signposting and guidance, but I spend most of my time being completely lost, and forgetting that there was an important but subtle clue ten rooms back.  Trying to play through Super Metroid and Metroid Prime, both of which are really cool games, ended up just being a frustrating experience where I had to constantly reference a guide.

• Guillotine 1

3 minutes ago, ShreddieMercuryRising said:

rying to play through Super Metroid and Metroid Prime, both of which are really cool games, ended up just being a frustrating experience where I had to constantly reference a guide.

I am so...so....fucking triggered right now :blart:

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, ShreddieMercuryRising said:

This thread is a great example of why I've always struggled to get into Metroid games.  I know that the appeal is the lack of signposting and guidance, but I spend most of my time being completely lost, and forgetting that there was an important but subtle clue ten rooms back.  Trying to play through Super Metroid and Metroid Prime, both of which are really cool games, ended up just being a frustrating experience where I had to constantly reference a guide.

I think that’s why communities like D1P are so cool; I also would not want to reference a guide constantly, but turning to the community for help turns it into a social interaction, which makes it a lot of fun. 

19 minutes ago, Chris- said:

I think that’s why communities like D1P are so cool; I also would not want to reference a guide constantly, but turning to the community for help turns it into a social interaction, which makes it a lot of fun. 

I will throw in that this definitely goes back to a time when we'd play games with a notepad next to us. I remember playing A Link to the Past with my sister back in the day and we constantly made notes on a crude map we had copied from the game's overworld map. In that context, Super Metroid was actually really modern at the time as far as I recall in that it actually had a fairly detailed and understandable map and even a menu showing you what power-ups you have collected and all. That being said, the Metroid games definitely require a lot of searching and feeling lost which is actually why I love them so much in the first place. It's like playing archaeologist after being dumped off in a totally foreign environment, such a cool concept to me still. Souls games are great at this core Metroid idea for me as well and most recently Returnal nailed the shit out of it. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, ShreddieMercuryRising said:

I can see that a bit in Metroid Prime since it's 3D and a large world. However, the game literally tells you where to go, you just have to figure out how to get there.

Super Metroid though, the brilliance of this game is the illusion of choice. For the first few hours of the game, there's really only one path you can take. There is a ton of seemingly dead ends along the way that you'll need to come back to, but the game basically funnels you to where you need to go for about the first half of the game.

29 minutes ago, Chris- said:

Yeah I agree. And that's why I try to give broad tips rather than straight up answers because of course you can just Google where you need to go.

Read a guide watch a walk through until you find where you are. The spinning jumping technique to climb really high I suck at and that is my biggest complaint to a near perfect game.

No shame in looking up this old stuff since when it was released there was such help in Nintendo Power and guides and friends at school.

This is what I mean I hate. 

49 minutes ago, Rodimus said:

Read a guide watch a walk through until you find where you are. The spinning jumping technique to climb really high I suck at and that is my biggest complaint to a near perfect game.

No shame in looking up this old stuff since when it was released there was such help in Nintendo Power and guides and friends at school.

Wall jumping like that was never really intended though and actually breaks the game. It's fun to use on subsequent playthroughs, but on a first playthrough kind of ruins the flow of the game and the discovery/reward aspect for finding new powerups and accessing areas you "shouldn't" have been able to previously access. Even the intended use of wall jumping is optional. I never used it once as a kid and 100%'d this game many times.

Edit: On second thought, it's likely Nintendo did know about it, as they clearly put platforms in place that make scaling walls like this very difficult (like in the above video). I guess it's not too much different than infinite bomb jumping which I used all the time to try and sequence break.

55 minutes ago, Rodimus said:

Those animations on Samus are still really cool to me today, especially when standing still and you see her breathing. 

There are a few bits in Metroid, Metroid 2, and Super Metroid that rely pretty heavily on reading the instruction manual, trial and error, or a knowledge of how Metroid works in order to advance. By the time Super Metroid came out they were better at teasing some of this information environmentally but there’s still a lack of guidance that I bet new players would find frustrating.

I’m pretty sure you can get to Tourian without the Ice Beam in the original Metroid, which isn’t fun.

Once you get the X-ray scanner and/or power bombs it'll be easier to find hidden paths. Some out of reach areas might just be connecting points where you'll exit from somewhere else so if you can't find a way, look at the map for another place to try advancing. If you don't already know, the circles on the map means there is a power up in that area and it will change to a dot once you grab it.

1 hour ago, Chris- said:

Tonight's progress: got the spazer beam, took down Kraid (little bitch), Varia suit, another missile upgrade, speed booster, seemingly stuck again (there are like three areas where I think I should progress but I can't quite figure out how).

Once you get the next upgrade you should have a pretty good idea of where to go next I think.

8 hours ago, Bjomesphat said:

Wall jumping like that was never really intended though and actually breaks the game. It's fun to use on subsequent playthroughs, but on a first playthrough kind of ruins the flow of the game and the discovery/reward aspect for finding new powerups and accessing areas you "shouldn't" have been able to previously access. Even the intended use of wall jumping is optional. I never used it once as a kid and 100%'d this game many times.

Edit: On second thought, it's likely Nintendo did know about it, as they clearly put platforms in place that make scaling walls like this very difficult (like in the above video). I guess it's not too much different than infinite bomb jumping which I used all the time to try and sequence break.

It was intended as an easter egg kinda thing. It's not explained in the original manual, I don't think, but there's an out of the way part of Brinstar where the little alien guys teach you how to do it, and you actually do have to use it there to be able to get out of the area.

9 hours ago, Ricofoley said:

It was intended as an easter egg kinda thing. It's not explained in the original manual, I don't think, but there's an out of the way part of Brinstar where the little alien guys teach you how to do it, and you actually do have to use it there to be able to get out of the area.

Oh yeah, regular wall jumping is definitely an intended feature where you go back and forth up a narrow corridor. I'm talking about single-wall wall jumping. I think that was an unintended result. And thinking back on it now, instead of removing wall jumping completely, it seems like they purposely placed platforms to stop you from abusing single wall jumping.

11 hours ago, Ricofoley said:

Those guys are cute as fuck