Update: ScarJo and Disney have reached a settlement in her Black Widow breach of contract lawsuit

28 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

85-90 million is easily the largest Labor Day weekend haul. It’s on the higher end of MCU debuts, but the lower end of the MCU as a whole. Industry experts, including Disney’s forecasters, were expecting mid 50s at most for the 4 day, so obliterated expectations. A very good sign of things to come in 2022

and is anything really coming out in the next couple weeks? Could have some good legs

21 minutes ago, EternallDarkness said:

and is anything really coming out in the next couple weeks? Could have some good legs

Basically nothing the rest of the month 😬

• 4 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Is this primarily due to the time when these characters were created? For as long as I can remember, if you create a character when you work for Marvel / DC, it’s assumed you DON’T own that character. Not saying it’s right or wrong, just that it’s always been my understanding.

I suspect the laws are tighter now in favor of the corporation. It would depend on their employment contract at the time. 

5 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Very cool of Marvel

E4uL9imfPiteNLKKwzJCYh-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

Marvel wants the courts to declare that copyright terminations filed by the estates of Steve Ditko and others are invalid.

My understanding is those relatives threw the first stone, and the agreements may not be in their favor.

1 hour ago, Kal-El814 said:

Is this primarily due to the time when these characters were created? For as long as I can remember, if you create a character when you work for Marvel / DC, it’s assumed you DON’T own that character. Not saying it’s right or wrong, just that it’s always been my understanding.

@Commissar SFLUFAN's favorite youtube lawyer to the rescue

Also according to the Hollywood Reporter article

Almost a decade ago, he represented the estate of comic book legend Jack Kirby over whether he could terminate a copyright grant on Spider-Man, X-Men, The Incredible Hulk and The Mighty Thor. In August 2013, the 2nd Circuit Court of Appeals affirmed a lower court’s ruling that determined Kirby’s heirs couldn’t wrest back his share of rights to these characters because the former Marvel freelancer had contributed his materials as a work made for hire.

The Kirby case was then petitioned up to the Supreme Court, with the late Ruth Bader Ginsburg signaling some interest in taking up the case. Marvel at the time fought hard against any high court review, and before the justices decided, the case was settled.

Now comes new litigation, which figures to pick up where earlier ones left off. Marvel’s suit calls the latest controversy “virtually identical circumstances” to Kirby’s.

If the plaintiffs win, Disney expects to at least hold on to at least a share of character rights as co-owners. The studio would have to share profits with the others. Additionally, the termination provisions of copyright law only apply in the United States, allowing Disney to continue to control and profit from foreign exploitation.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/business/business-news/marvel-suing-avengers-copyright-termination-1235020110/

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kal-El814 said:

It would be a bit of a mess if it didn't work that way. This is the way it is in every industry. If you work as a contractor for an engineering firm and invent something during your time there; you don't own the patent, even if you get a cute little plaque commemorating the patent you created. This would also destroy the freelance industry entirely. I used to do some freelance graphic design. It would be wild if I could claim ownership to, like, logos I had made.

4 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

It would be a bit of a mess if it didn't work that way. This is the way it is in every industry. If you work as a contractor for an engineering firm and invent something during your time there; you don't own the patent, even if you get a cute little plaque commemorating the patent you created. This would also destroy the freelance industry entirely. I used to do some freelance graphic design. It would be wild if I could claim ownership to, like, logos I had made.

I had to sign a form for a company I worked for once saying that whatever I created as an employee while working for them was owned by them. It's very common especially in the comics industry. That's why creator owned companies like Image were formed in the first place.  Both Marvel and DC have creator owned imprints now where they publish but the creator retains the rights to the work.

2 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I had to sign a form for a company I worked for once saying that whatever I created as an employee while working for them was owned by them. It's very common especially in the comics industry. That's why creator owned companies like Image were formed in the first place.  Both Marvel and DC have creator owned imprints now where they publish but the creator retains the rights to the work.

Is that not normal or have I just been working in the tech industry too long? I can't remember the last time I found myself at an employer and hasn't asked me to inform them of any patents I owned while also relinquishing the rights to any patents I helped create while on company time or with company resources. It's boilerplate for me to let everyone know I'm an uncreative hack that's never invented anything in my life.

Now I’m wondering if Disney made some sort of bigger deal with Sony to use Spider-Man in the upcoming MCU. With Sony’s Insomniac games working on the Spider-Man series, new Wolverine and Sony systems getting exclusive Spider-Man content to the Avengers video game. Was all that part of the deal to get him Spidey to stay in the MCU. 

11 minutes ago, silentbob said:

Now I’m wondering if Disney made some sort of bigger deal with Sony to use Spider-Man in the upcoming MCU. With Sony’s Insomniac games working on the Spider-Man series, new Wolverine and Sony systems getting exclusive Spider-Man content to the Avengers video game. Was all that part of the deal to get him Spidey to stay in the MCU. 

Marvel Disney still owns the character. Sony just owns the license for movies. 

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Marvel Disney still owns the character. Sony just owns the license for movies. 

Yeah but if they control the Marvel entity then why not bring the games to XBox and Switch. I think Disney might of offered exclusive game incentives to the Sony Platform in order to get Sony Pictures Spider-Man to get in/stay in the MCU for Disney. They scratch their back and they scratch them back 

28 minutes ago, silentbob said:

Yeah but if they control the Marvel entity then why not bring the games to XBox and Switch. I think Disney might of offered exclusive game incentives to the Sony Platform in order to get Sony Pictures Spider-Man to get in/stay in the MCU for Disney. They scratch their back and they scratch them back 

Spiderman can and has been in games for Xbox and Switch. The Spiderman game that Insomniac did is a Playstation exclusive because Insomniac is damn near a Sony 1st party. Sony does not own the character for all media. Sony has a perpetual license for live action Spiderman content due to a deal Marvel made back in 1998 and they retain that as long as the use the license every 6 years or so which means they pretty much will own the live action rights forever. This is ONLY for live action rights... not animated or games or anything else. Which is why Spiderman was in an episode of What If?

Sony's 1998 license, covering all Spider-Man films (including 900 characters related to Spider-Man), is perpetual provided that Sony releases a new Spider-Man film at least once every 5.75 year

Marvels-what-if-use-spiderman-sony-right
SCREENRANT.COM

This won't have been too problematic.

Spider-Man's TV rights are complicated, but ironically that won't have caused any problems for What If..? Sony's last Spider-Man animated series, Spectacular Spider-Man, ended in 2009 - and according to showrunner Greg Weisman, it was brought to a close because Sony returned the animated TV rights to Marvel in return for some concessions for the live-action films. Since then, Marvel and Disney have had the rights to make Spider-Man animated adventures. A copy of the Sony-Marvel contract leaked several years later, in 2014, and revealed there are limitations to this - Sony has the rights to animated TV shows where the episodes run more than 44 minutes. But What If..?'s episodes are only half an hour in length, so Marvel won't have had any difficulty using Spider-Man in this show.

Ironically, the very fact What If..? is animated made things a lot easier for Marvel Studios. Sony has retained the live-action TV rights for Spider-Man and all his associated characters, explaining why the studio is working on a TV series for Amazon starring Silk, a classmate of Peter Parker's who was also bitten by that infamous radioactive spider. So don't expect to see Tom Holland swinging by in any of the live-action Disney+ TV shows anytime soon - at least not unless Marvel and Sony strike another deal.

So Sony has the Live action rights and animated rights provided the animated program is 44 minutes or longer (which is a television hour with commercials). No mention is made of Sony having exclusive gaming rights which they don't. It's why you see Spidey in a whole bunch of Marvel games.

@skillzdadirecta I still don’t think you get what I’m still trying to say here,  but what you posted is what I’m saying overall. Yes I know these characters have appeared in different games on different systems with other Marvel characters too. Now when you got Spider-Man and now a Wolverine game from Sony’s Insomniac Games company ONLY appearing on A Sony own/produced product. They are playing the long haul here with Disney for the millions upon millions of potential dollars in this lucrative movie world. Sony: Hey Disney you want to keep using Spider-Man in your MCU movie universe? Well, let us keep the exclusive video game of these very popular marvel property characters exclusively on the PS5. Forcing millions of these marvel fans to buy the new Sony systems, accessories, subscriptions and eventual other games for the system. The new Wolverine game could of been a bonus bargaining chip to keep Spider-Man in Disney’s MCU movie arsenal 

25 minutes ago, silentbob said:

@skillzdadirecta I still don’t think you get what I’m still trying to say here,  but what you posted is what I’m saying overall. Yes I know these characters have appeared in different games on different systems with other Marvel characters too. Now when you got Spider-Man and now a Wolverine game from Sony’s Insomniac Games company ONLY appearing on A Sony own/produced product. They are playing the long haul here with Disney for the millions upon millions of potential dollars in this lucrative movie world. Sony: Hey Disney you want to keep using Spider-Man in your MCU movie universe? Well, let us keep the exclusive video game of these very popular marvel property characters exclusively on the PS5. Forcing millions of these marvel fans to buy the new Sony systems, accessories, subscriptions and eventual other games for the system. The new Wolverine game could of been a bonus bargaining chip to keep Spider-Man in Disney’s MCU movie arsenal 

I get what you're saying but again, the only reason these games are exclusive is because Insomniac is doing them. Not because Disney and Sony have some scret exclusivity deal with the characters.  Insomiac's Wolverine game will be exclusive to Sony because Insomniac is making THAT game. Wolverine isn't exclusive to Sony because he'll be in several upcoming games. Sony got Spiderman exclusively for the Avengers game because they paid Crystal Dynamics as shit ton of money to make that exclusive content. That's all I'm saying. Wolverine is also gonna be in that Xcom game coming out next year too. We're gonna see a bunch of Marvel games from different developers in the future. Spiderman included.

18 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I get what you're saying but again, the only reason these games are exclusive is because Insomniac is doing them. Not because Disney and Sony have some scret exclusivity deal with the characters.  Insomiac's Wolverine game will be exclusive to Sony because Insomniac is making THAT game. Wolverine isn't exclusive to Sony because he'll be in several upcoming games. Sony got Spiderman exclusively for the Avengers game because they paid Crystal Dynamics as shit ton of money to make that exclusive content. That's all I'm saying. Wolverine is also gonna be in that Xcom game coming out next year too. We're gonna see a bunch of Marvel games from different developers in the future. Spiderman included.

YES THAT! Why out of all the developers out there did Disney give the Sony owned Insomniac Games the exclusive single character centric game rights to them.

If I wanna play a Spider-Man and Spider-Man Only centric story. You gotta buy a Sony PlayStation System. Microsoft and Nintendo are cut from any profits from a game that could sale more of their systems, controllers, subscriptions and other games. because they didn’t have the game made for their system. Sony knows that they have money to milk out of Spider-Man in the movies, but they sucked at the box office and profits would take time to regain the audience favour for their films again. Disney was rumoured to have offered a shit ton of money to buy the Spider-Man rights back from Sony for the MCU. Sony rejected the offer but help pave way to get Disney to use Tom Holland in Civil War and future MCU films. Deal expired after Endgame and Holland begged both studios to keep things running the way they are and a new deal was struck. 

So yes Sony and Disney maybe did make a secret game deal to keep Spider-Man going in the MCU. They kept Spider-Man centric story based games on Sony systems only. Just look over at the Avengers game that gets an exclusive Spider-Man centric chapter to play. Again not on the Xbox or Switch, just Sony. Now they have a Wolverine exclusively to their system only, and we already got a Wolverine game that was released on multiple systems years back that was good. Why not give them the chance for a follow up game for the multi system release again. I think with Disney controlling the rights, they are playing best buds with Sony with these game deals to keep using Spidey in the MCU films. 

9 hours ago, silentbob said:

YES THAT! Why out of all the developers out there did Disney give the Sony owned Insomniac Games the exclusive single character centric game rights to them.

If I wanna play a Spider-Man and Spider-Man Only centric story. You gotta buy a Sony PlayStation System. Microsoft and Nintendo are cut from any profits from a game that could sale more of their systems, controllers, subscriptions and other games. because they didn’t have the game made for their system. Sony knows that they have money to milk out of Spider-Man in the movies, but they sucked at the box office and profits would take time to regain the audience favour for their films again. Disney was rumoured to have offered a shit ton of money to buy the Spider-Man rights back from Sony for the MCU. Sony rejected the offer but help pave way to get Disney to use Tom Holland in Civil War and future MCU films. Deal expired after Endgame and Holland begged both studios to keep things running the way they are and a new deal was struck. 

So yes Sony and Disney maybe did make a secret game deal to keep Spider-Man going in the MCU. They kept Spider-Man centric story based games on Sony systems only. Just look over at the Avengers game that gets an exclusive Spider-Man centric chapter to play. Again not on the Xbox or Switch, just Sony. Now they have a Wolverine exclusively to their system only, and we already got a Wolverine game that was released on multiple systems years back that was good. Why not give them the chance for a follow up game for the multi system release again. I think with Disney controlling the rights, they are playing best buds with Sony with these game deals to keep using Spidey in the MCU films. 

I don't know about that. Look at the history for context. When Insomniac's first Spider-Man game came out, it had been in development at the same time as other Spider-Man games from other developers. It's a massive open world game and came out only a couple years after the last Spider-Man game which only came out a couple years after the last Spider-Man game and so on. This was before they were acquired by Sony. It rather seems that they just did a really good job with the game and Marvel was in no rush to kill off a legitimate AAA darling of a franchise just because of console exclusivity. These are the best Spider-Man games ever made. I don't think Disney cares beyond that. The games are great and they sell millions of copies. Cool. That's probably enough for them.

12 hours ago, silentbob said:

Also Disney isn't "giving" anyone the rights to use these characters. Insominac has to pay licensing fees to use these characters like anyone else. Yes you have to BUY a Sony system to play these Insomniac games, but Insomniac has to BUY the rights from Disney to use the characters in the first place. What you seem to be missing is that the characters themselves are not exclusive to Sony... these particular games are.

There was a whole Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 came out a couple of years ago and was exclusive to the Switch despite the first two game s being Multiplatform. Does that mean Disney/Marvel had some secret backroom deal with Nintendo? No. The Fact that Insominac is doing an exclusive Wolverine game now, a character that is now entirely controlled by Marvel/Disney/Fox should clue you in that there's nothing going on here besides licensing deals and first party exclusives.

Sony was losing the public relations battle when it looked like they were going to pull Spiderman from the MCU and even were alienating their star Tom Holland who they have a lot investing in with him playing Nathan Drake. There's even rumors that this new Venom movie will establish HIS character as being part of the MCU. It's to everyone's benefit that Sony and Disney play nice as far as the Marvel characters are concerned... but if Sony were to pull Spidey from the MCU, it would hurt THEM more than it would hurt Marvel Disney. So no extra incentives are really needed between these two companies. I get where you are coming from with your speculation, I just don't think one thing (the movies) has anything to do with the other (the videogames) :shrug:

By your logic, what's to stop Marvel/Disney from pulling a MLB and forcing Sony to put the Spiderman games on other consoles the way MLB did with The Show? They can't because Spidey isn't exclusive to Sony in the videogame world. The Insominac Games Spiderman is.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Update: ScarJo and Disney have reached a settlement in her Black Widow breach of contract lawsuit
1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Told ya'll they were going to pay her. It wasn't a good look for Disney and The Marvel brand... also they were COMPLETELY in the wrong.

Both sides tweets were also very positive about it I'm pretty sure they knew they were in the wrong :lol:

3 hours ago, Remarkableriots said:

Will this lead to lawsuits against HBO/WB for releasing their 2021 movies on streaming? A few other studios/publishers also released content on streaming/on demand this past year.

Pretty sure HBO/WB has been quietly dealing with this behind the scenes. Also a couple of entities have already sued them. It's a little different though.