Update: ScarJo and Disney have reached a settlement in her Black Widow breach of contract lawsuit

Disney:  "Let's settle this via private arbitration behind closed doors"

ScarJo's Attorneys:  "OLOLOLOLO HELL NO OLOLOLOLOLO - We'll see you in court!"

105880017-1556558715927blackwidowcropped
WWW.CNBC.COM

Disney filed a motion to force Scarlett Johansson into a private arbitration over her "Black Widow" lawsuit, but the actor's lawyers want their day in court.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Update: ScarJo's lawyers reject Disney's offer of private arbitration, want their day in court
3 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Disney:  "Let's settle this via private arbitration behind closed doors"

ScarJo's Attorneys:  "OLOLOLOLO HELL NO OLOLOLOLOLO - We'll see you in court!"

105880017-1556558715927blackwidowcropped
WWW.CNBC.COM

Disney filed a motion to force Scarlett Johansson into a private arbitration over her "Black Widow" lawsuit, but the actor's lawyers want their day in court.

I suspect it's not so much that they want their day in court as much as they don't want it to go to private arbitration which is probably biased towards Disney. That is, they'd probably be happy with a good regular settlement that they can negotiate themselves with court being the threat if they don't get a good offer.

Good move on her team's part. As I've said, assuming they're correct about her contract, they do owe her a substantial part of the D+ money. There's no way they don't.

Also it will be interesting because Disney will actually have to publicly disclose how much they make from D+ as well as how much they made from the black widow purchases. I'd be interested to read those numbers. What if we find out that they made more money from the premier purchases than they ever would have made at the box office? That changes the game entirely. I doubt it's anything that drastic, but still very interesting.

4 hours ago, CayceG said:

Of all the entire Marvel universe, I cannot think of a 'superhero' more bland and uninteresting than whatever ScarJo's character is called. I honestly think she might be doing this to burn the bridge and move on with her career. 

I doubt that, especially since she wanted to produce the haunted mansion flick 

5 hours ago, CayceG said:

Of all the entire Marvel universe, I cannot think of a 'superhero' more bland and uninteresting than whatever ScarJo's character is called. I honestly think she might be doing this to burn the bridge and move on with her career. 

or she could just decline any future roles offered and move on with her career lol 

I feel pretty confident nobody wants to burn bridges with the studio that represents 40% of the theatrical market. But people also want to be paid what they are owed.

2 hours ago, sblfilms said:

I feel pretty confident nobody wants to burn bridges with the studio that represents 40% of the theatrical market. But people also want to be paid what they are owed.

It also is a bit of a big deal case for actors in general in terms of getting backend revenue-based contracts, and by going to court Disney has to publicly disclose how much they made from streaming. I'm sure a big part of the reason Disney doesn't want to go to court is they don't want that information out there. Actors and studios alike may kind of back off those kinds of contracts in the future depending on the outcome.

7 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

It also is a bit of a big deal case for actors in general in terms of getting backend revenue-based contracts, and by going to court Disney has to publicly disclose how much they made from streaming. I'm sure a big part of the reason Disney doesn't want to go to court is they don't want that information out there. Actors and studios alike may kind of back off those kinds of contracts in the future depending on the outcome.

For sure. I always tell people streaming is a black box and that will have to change as it has now become such an important piece of a major film’s release. I’m sure all the guilds will be making a big deal about data transparency for streaming content. At least with D+ premier there are separate sales to base this stuff off of. What about content that goes direct to general streaming on D+ like the Pixar titles have?

32 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

For sure. I always tell people streaming is a black box and that will have to change as it has now become such an important piece of a major film’s release. I’m sure all the guilds will be making a big deal about data transparency for streaming content. At least with D+ premier there are separate sales to base this stuff off of. What about content that goes direct to general streaming on D+ like the Pixar titles have?

Disney knows the numbers here. There is zero chance they didn't do the math to figure out how much they gain or lose putting a movie on D+ without Premiere.

On 8/25/2021 at 3:25 PM, Ghost_MH said:

Disney knows the numbers here. There is zero chance they didn't do the math to figure out how much they gain or lose putting a movie on D+ without Premiere.

How do you determine how much of the $8 a month is because of this piece of content vs. that piece? For example, we sub to D+ because of Star Wars and Marvel, but my kids will still watch junk like Bunk’d too. It matter of factly is not as simple as the dollars in, dollars out when individual content has an individual price tag.

9 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

How do you determine how much of the $8 a month is because of this piece of content vs. that piece? For example, we sub to D+ because of Star Wars and Marvel, but my kids will still watch junk like Bunk’d too. It matter of factly is not as simple as the dollars in, dollars out when individual content has an individual price tag.

It will be fascinating if they have to break down hours watched by brand/show/movie. We've never seen this level of transparency for streaming platforms.

34 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

22 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

It will be fascinating if they have to break down hours watched by brand/show/movie. We've never seen this level of transparency for streaming platforms.

Netflix has metrics they use to determine if a series or movie is driving new subscribers and/or keeping old subscribers. They, along with every other streaming service know who's watching, when they're watching, how they're watching, which scenes are worth rewatching, and even when viewers are checking out and moving on to something else.

Unfortunately, it's been mostly a black box, so we don't really know which metrics will cause a service is willing to shell out this much for a movie or cancel a series that everyone right was pretty great. At Disney's current place with Disney+, I'm sure their number one metric is subscription drivers. That's easy to figure out. What are new subscribers jumping to first.

• 2 weeks later...

Told ya'll Disney was effing up...

blackwidow-blogroll-02-1624921979531-163
WWW.IGN.COM

The Russo Brothers and Disney have reportedly "hit an impasse" over negotiations for them to direct a new MCU movie due to the ongoing Black Widow lawsuit.

Due to the lawsuit and how Black Widow was released (and how Johansson was paid as a result), the Russo Brothers and Disney have reportedly "hit an impasse" in negotiations for their Marvel Cinematic Universe return.

According to The Wall Street Journal, the Black Widow lawsuit has the directing duo questioning how a new MCU movie from them would be released and how they would be paid for it. No details were revealed about what their MCU return would have been, but the brothers have been quite open in their interest to do a Secret Wars movie.

9 minutes ago, EternallDarkness said:

Should be interesting to see what Shang Chi's box office numbers are and if it'll effect the lawsuit. 

"‘Shang-Chi’ Rings Up $140M Global Bow – International Box Office – Deadline"

shang-chi-3.jpg?w=1024
DEADLINE.COM

Refresh for latest…: Disney/Marvel’s Shang-Chi And The Legend Of The Ten Rings outperformed expectations at the global and international box office this weekend, coming in with $56.2M oversea…

22 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

Lol it’s been so long I can’t even remember what average/good/great opening weekend numbers were and what is considered those levels in a “post covid” theatrical world. 

85-90 million is easily the largest Labor Day weekend haul. It’s on the higher end of MCU debuts, but the lower end of the MCU as a whole. Industry experts, including Disney’s forecasters, were expecting mid 50s at most for the 4 day, so obliterated expectations. A very good sign of things to come in 2022