King Richard - Will Smith raises Venus and Serena Williams

• 3 months later...
Will-Smith-in-King-Richard-1.jpg
SCREENRANT.COM

The tennis legend was beside herself.

Honestly, no word describes it better than just ‘surreal’, just to see these incredible actresses and everyone behind it just putting this all together about our dad’s journey. Because of myself and my sister, it really is just like, ‘Wow, really, OK? Are we really something?' kind of thing. It really is super surreal for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Solid movie! Great performances all around. I don't know a ton about the real life story, but from what I understand, the broad strokes of this movie are pretty accurate. It does focus on the Richard Williams character more than any other for most of the run time, but it makes sense for the time period of the story. 

17 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

Solid movie! Great performances all around. I don't know a ton about the real life story, but from what I understand, the broad strokes of this movie are pretty accurate. It does focus on the Richard Williams character more than any other for most of the run time, but it makes sense for the time period of the story. 

Who knew their father was Will Smith!

i thought it was really good. it’s important to remember this is a biopic about richard williams and his daughters wanted to tell this story. throughout the movie i never had the sense that they are giving him credit for his daughters accomplishments. 

the actress who played venus williams did a terrific job. will smith is probably a lock to get award nominations. it’s probably the best performance of his life. 

32 minutes ago, johnny said:

i thought it was really good. it’s important to remember this is a biopic about richard williams and his daughters wanted to tell this story. throughout the movie i never had the sense that they are giving him credit for his daughters accomplishments

the actress who played venus williams did a terrific job. will smith is probably a lock to get award nominations. it’s probably the best performance of his life. 

Not directly, but it does make the fairly compelling case that without his plan, without him pushing them into tennis from a very early age, without his hustling to get them the top coaches, their professional careers wouldn't have ever happened. Now obviously, to become the top ranked players in the world, you need to work you ass off and have a ton of talent, no matter what your dad's 78 page plan has in store for you. Ultimately, they are the ones on the court doing the work, they deserve the credit. But without him, would they have been on the court in the first place? Would they have stayed in the game long enough for them to somehow naturally play their way out of Compton without his help? This movie suggests not. 

7 hours ago, TheLeon said:

Not directly, but it does make the fairly compelling case that without his plan, without him pushing them into tennis from a very early age, without his hustling to get them the top coaches, their professional careers wouldn't have ever happened. Now obviously, to become the top ranked players in the world, you need to work you ass off and have a ton of talent, no matter what your dad's 78 page plan has in store for you. Ultimately, they are the ones on the court doing the work, they deserve the credit. But without him, would they have been on the court in the first place? Would they have stayed in the game long enough for them to somehow naturally play their way out of Compton without his help? This movie suggests not. 

i do find it hard to believe they would have gone pro in tennis if not for him considering the sport that tennis is. it’s not soccer where every city has a rec league you can plop them into.

i dont think he needed to do everything he did, but this doesn’t really take anything away from his daughters. what kid is going pro in any sport without some help and dedication from parents and/or a coach? and again, this is a story that his daughters wanted to tell about him. i believe he can receive some credit for how he helped without taking anything away from his daughters hard work. 

I think that 99% of pro athletes have/had super driven, super engaged parents pushing them the entire way. There really is no other way.

The amount of time and effort I see being put into hockey kids is insane. It's like dude, your kid is like, maybe the 30th best player in his birth year in one midwestern city, maybe you don't need to spend like $20,000 a year on private hockey lessons. Maybe chill out.

There's an entire industry built around milking money out of these parents. They're all so competitive and will do anything to get their kids on the best teams with the best coaches and best everything. It's an insane world of insanity and I only see it from the outside looking in. I can't imagine being on the other side.

What's really nuts is that for every Venus and Serena, there's 10,000 other kids who probably worked their entire life toward the same goal and didn't make it.