Jump to content

Seriously, who is in charge of Arcade 1Up's licensing?


Recommended Posts

Arcade1Up-The-Simpsons-arcade-cabinet.jp
WWW.DESTRUCTOID.COM

Arcade1Up is opening pre-orders for The Simpsons on August 16, and you can set yourself up for notifications, but how much will it cost?

 

Whoever it is, is either a deal-making, slick-talking business extraordinaire, or they got naked pictures of somebody, especially at Konami. 

 

How the hell are they getting the licenses to make games like TMNT and Turtles in Time, Xmen vs Street Fighter, Star Wars, etc. and now Simpsons? I'd give my left leg to just be able to play these games on my Switch or Xbox.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:
Arcade1Up-The-Simpsons-arcade-cabinet.jp
WWW.DESTRUCTOID.COM

Arcade1Up is opening pre-orders for The Simpsons on August 16, and you can set yourself up for notifications, but how much will it cost?

 

Whoever it is, is either a deal-making, slick-talking business extraordinaire, or they got naked pictures of somebody, especially at Konami. 

 

How the hell are they getting the licenses to make games like TMNT and Turtles in Time, Xmen vs Street Fighter, Star Wars, etc. and now Simpsons? I'd give my left leg to just be able to play these games on my Switch or Xbox.

You can play all those games on Xbox Series X/S thanks to Retroarch.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I also have a ton of nostalgia for the Simpson's beat-em-up... but... I just played though this game with my kids at a local arcade (where you play for free after paying an entrance fee) and, yeah, this isn't a game you're gonna want to play a lot.

 

If you buy this as an arcade game, consider it a decoration or conversation piece, not an actual entertainment device.

 

I own a standup Street Fighter 2 machine, and while I love it and owning an arcade game is super hella cool in a lot of ways... once the novelty wears off, you most likely won't be playing it much at all.

 

I bet that the vast majority of home arcade games see very little use after the first few weeks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, ort said:

I also have a ton of nostalgia for the Simpson's beat-em-up... but... I just played though this game with my kids at a local arcade (where you play for free after paying an entrance fee) and, yeah, this isn't a game you're gonna want to play a lot.

 

If you buy this as an arcade game, consider it a decoration or conversation piece, not an actual entertainment device.

 

I own a standup Street Fighter 2 machine, and while I love it and owning an arcade game is super hella cool in a lot of ways... once the novelty wears off, you most likely won't be playing it much at all.

 

I bet that the vast majority of home arcade games see very little use after the first few weeks.

Its fair to say that there is a parallel with arcade machines and fitness equipment! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hey, I also have multiple barely used expensive exercise devices! True story!

 

My 8-year old is the only person in the house who uses the exercise bike. He rides on it while watching YouTube vids because he's just a ball of energy and likes to be moving all the time.

 

I used to yell at him because he isn't really supposed to be on it and usually isn't using it correctly, but then I decided, eh, fuck it, at least someone is using it and it's better than laying around.

  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

And VR headsets. 

As I look at the dust collecting on my Quest 2, its hard to argue! :p

 

P.S. As a citizen of the UK, can you tell me how I can get my hands on season 3 of Uncle? It seems impossible! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

As I look at the dust collecting on my Quest 2, its hard to argue! :p

 

P.S. As a citizen of the UK, can you tell me how I can get my hands on season 3 of Uncle? It seems impossible! 

Wow.  Just because I love football, doesn’t make me a Brit. 
 

it’s probably on Netflix UK so use a VPN to stream it 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, chakoo said:

Yep that is the person with the golden touch at arcade 1up. 

 

Golden touch is right. I can't help but wonder how this guy is managing to nail down these IP's that are scattered to the four winds in terms of licenses. Is it as simple as getting Nickelodeon and Konami on a zoom call and being like "we want to re-release the TMNT arcade game."

 

I mean, I suppose Arcade 1Up is doing ok for themselves, but they're not exactly a Microsoft or Sony. It's not like they can just flip open the checkbook and say name your price.

 

Maybe I should just message him on LinkedIn lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah it's pretty amazing what they are able to get.

 

That being said, the new Turtles in Time is over $600 to pre-order, and it's the same as the $400 TMNT cabinet they had before just with new cabinet art. Soooo.... Eh.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:


What is Retroarch?

 

It's an all in one (kinda) emulator. Well it's more of an emulator front end. It works with a variety of emulators. You have alot of emulators that you can download directly from retroarch.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Reputator said:

Yeah it's pretty amazing what they are able to get.

 

That being said, the new Turtles in Time is over $600 to pre-order, and it's the same as the $400 TMNT cabinet they had before just with new cabinet art. Soooo.... Eh.

 

Covid & the continued fuck up of the JIT supply chain has screwed things up for many companies which is resulting in increased prices everywhere. Companies are struggling to 1. find chips/parts, 2. obtain allocation at a factory to build their product and 3. obtaining shipping containers and spots on ships to get product out of asia.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, GameDadGrant said:

Cool. Did they ever make a six-player X-MEN arcade cabinet? 
 

Because I want that next, please and thank you.

 

That's one of the games that I managed to buy and download on the Live Arcade before it was delisted. I would've bought the Simpsons game as well, but back then I just kinda assumed they'd always be there. I think I have the TMNT arcade game as well, but they never released the arcade version of Turtles in Time, just the Reshelled (i.e. shitty) version.

 

That Xmen game is.... rough. It's the same game its always been, but... damn....

 

But hey you can play as Dazzler, so there's that.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...