What games are you excited to play on the Steam Deck?

DPCyric

Just now, GameDadGrant said:

Well, I mean...it is a bargain. And aren't you paying for Nintendo Online anyway? Why wouldn't anyone do that. It's $20 A YEAR. 

Those games aren't on Steam, you goon! LOL 

Are you referring to an emulator? Ha like that will last. You KNOW Nintendo's lawyer-bots will be on that like white on rice in no time. :lol:

I mean they’ve had almost three decades to attempt that and the emulators keep coming. It’s legal so they can’t actually stop it.

2 minutes ago, GameDadGrant said:

Well, I mean...it is a bargain. And aren't you paying for Nintendo Online anyway? Why wouldn't anyone do that. It's $20 A YEAR.

It's not a bargain it's tacked on to give the service some meaningless value.

No I'm not paying for Nintendo Online. My friend has me on a family share thing, he pays for it and he plays online even less than I do.

I wouldn't do it because Nintendo has so few online games worth playing and I wouldn't pay $20 a year to keep playing an old game I could play anywhere else.

Just now, stepee said:

I mean they’ve had almost three decades to attempt that and the emulators keep coming. It’s legal so they can’t actually stop it.

"Legal." We'll see. :thinking: 

Irregardless, it would be great to have another system to play these old games on. I think I toyed around with the idea of modding my PSP back in the day but I never got around to it. 

Just now, Keyser_Soze said:

I have an Xbox in case anyone wants to play that though

Yeah no one does. :p 

I keed, I keed. That's cool. I dunno, I get a lot of mileage out of the Switch online service. It's weird to hear that anyone would say that the Switch doesn't have many online games worth playing...but I guess that depends on what you play and what your friends play. 

I don't even know what games I would play online with a PC, if I bothered to play on PC. Guess I'll have to look into what Steam offers so I can be ready when the Deck comes out! 

1 hour ago, GameDadGrant said:

Are you referring to an emulator? Ha like that will last. You KNOW Nintendo's lawyer-bots will be on that like white on rice in no time. :lol:

Uh, no they won’t.  It’s an open platform. 

You can install Linux applications on it.  You can install Windows on it.  You can install Retroarch directly from the Steam OS itself, similar to Android devices.

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, stepee said:

look man no matter how much it hurts you can’t just will a change in the legality of emulators into existence 

Hurts?

You guys are trying to convince me that I’ll be able to play a whole bunch of my favorite games on this new handheld with a bunch of bonuses...I just have a hard time believing it.

If it happens, then that’s awesome.

But this feels very “bleem!” to me and I’m very, very skeptical about it. 

2 hours ago, GameDadGrant said:

Hurts?

You guys are trying to convince me that I’ll be able to play a whole bunch of my favorite games on this new handheld with a bunch of bonuses...I just have a hard time believing it.

They would have to remove Retroarch from the Steam store for your gut to not be totally of the mark.

And even that would only be a connivence thing, since Valve has already stated you’ll be able to run 3rd party apps and OS’s not on its storefront.  Just like on Steam machines years ago, or how the PC app works now.

The only real deterring factor will be if you’re willing to download ROMs or rip them yourself.

Think of it more as a Linux laptop with a handheld gaming form factor and UI.

2 hours ago, GameDadGrant said:

Hurts?

You literally could play them on your PC right now, if you wanted to.

15 hours ago, GameDadGrant said:

I keed, I keed. That's cool. I dunno, I get a lot of mileage out of the Switch online service. It's weird to hear that anyone would say that the Switch doesn't have many online games worth playing...but I guess that depends on what you play and what your friends play. 

Animal Crossing is the only game I play online on my Switch, and that's only occasionally.  My Switch is primarily a single-player game system.  Loads of awesome games for the system.  Love it to death.  I just don't have any games for it that are good online and nothing really comes to mind.  Shooters on a console almost all feel bad.  Not a sports game guy.  Maybe fighters?  If the input lag isn't bad?  I don't know.  I do local multiplayer stuff (Smash, Kart., etc.) but nothing online. 

15 hours ago, GameDadGrant said:

Yeah no one does. :p 

I don't even know what games I would play online with a PC, if I bothered to play on PC. Guess I'll have to look into what Steam offers so I can be ready when the Deck comes out! 

Everyone plays different sorts of games.  In my household, my kids mostly play online -- primarily Roblox and Minecraft -- and the fight is to make sure they get a computer (because they prefer playing them with KB/Mouse) over console.

The Switch is a great place to play Nintendo games, but lets face it, Nintendo doesn't make the online games that have the largest online presence, ATM.  If you have access to multiple platforms, unless you're travelling, it's hard to find a reason why you would choose Switch as your platform of choice for non-Switch-exclusive online games. 

Splatoon series is probably the best online multiplayer thing they’ve got.  I would have bought 2 by now if they weren’t charging for online.

I could see Switch being a decent F2P multiplayer device if you’re okay with not being on competitive footing in cross play.

Emulators, even Nintendo-based ones, are not going anywhere. They do not use any of the original assets, or hardware that make up the platforms the games played on. Hence, emulation. The program is merely "guessing" (if that's the correct word) what the hardware would've been like, and that is also why you generally need a much more powerful system to play games via an emulator versus original hardware.

Legally speaking, Nintendo can't do shit, and they know it. And I believe the same applies to any of their games that are reverse engineered ala Mario 64. None of the original assets were used to create it, so it's a unique and bespoke game created from the ground up. It may look like Mario 64, play like Mario 64, and even sound like Mario 64. But look at the code, and it's not Mario 64 from Nintendo. I believe that's how you can skirt the law, but someone else can correct me if that's not quite accurate.

Alright, if it's legal I don't wanna change anything! It just comes off as *extremely* gray-area. I mean, making a game that is, for all intents and purposes, Super Mario 64, but the code is all different...that's legal? WEIRD. But if these emulators let me play...say, every Castlevania game ever made on it? Sign me up! 

Also, you guys are weird about your online gaming habits! Yeah, your interests are different from mine so you guys are the weird ones. Not me. :p 

12 minutes ago, GameDadGrant said:

Alright, if it's legal I don't wanna change anything! It just comes off as *extremely* gray-area. I mean, making a game that is, for all intents and purposes, Super Mario 64, but the code is all different...that's legal? WEIRD. But if these emulators let me play...say, every Castlevania game ever made on it? Sign me up! 

Also, you guys are weird about your online gaming habits! Yeah, your interests are different from mine so you guys are the weird ones. Not me. :p 

Cant think of a Castlevania this won’t play!

• Like 1

Yeah Judgement is easily running on it, only ones I was thinking of were the Lord of Darkness ones you can’t emulate well probably on it since they are ps360 but there are Steam versions for those so. The DS games will work great on a 7” screen with a pop out for the second screen.

2 hours ago, stepee said:

Yeah Judgement is easily running on it, only ones I was thinking of were the Lord of Darkness ones you can’t emulate well probably on it since they are ps360 but there are Steam versions for those so. The DS games will work great on a 7” screen with a pop out for the second screen.

*Lords of Shadow

But yeah the DS games would be cool and the only one that absolutely requires the use of the touch screen is Dawn of Sorrow. The others have modes that have optional touch screen usage. But having the second screen showing the map at all times? That's such a QOL bonus that I honestly missed while playing Bloodstained

4 hours ago, GameDadGrant said:

The "Rom" that has the Nintendo code is "illegal" to distribute.  They're not hard to find.

34 minutes ago, GameDadGrant said:

*Lords of Shadow

But yeah the DS games would be cool and the only one that absolutely requires the use of the touch screen is Dawn of Sorrow. The others have modes that have optional touch screen usage. But having the second screen showing the map at all times? That's such a QOL bonus that I honestly missed while playing Bloodstained

Yeah the pop out of the second screen on them is nice since you just need the map you can size that screen smaller so you have a larger sized main screen! And since this has a touchscreen, yeah it’ll be great for those.