What games are you excited to play on the Steam Deck?

DPCyric

Some games I really prefer to play in bed rather than at a desk or in front of the PC especially SRPG's. What are you planning on playing first and what has been sitting in your Steam library waiting for a good excuse to give it a playthrough (or maybe even a replay?)?

All of em, which is kind of the point :p 

Slightly more seriously, my Switch has been my go-to 2d indie platform since those often work well as travel games. There was always a bit of tension doing that for me though because even then the games often looked and performed better on PC when you were in that setting. So now I will just make PC my default and use the SD for travel with them.

I am also excited that the SD will be better for doing certain kinds of games on the go; e.g., isometric RPGs will work better with the touch pad.

1 hour ago, legend said:

All of em, which is kind of the point :p 

Slightly more seriously, my Switch has been my go-to 2d indie platform since those often work well as travel games. There was always a bit of tension doing that for me though because even then the games often looked and performed better on PC when you were in that setting. So now I will just make PC my default and use the SD for travel with them.

I am also excited that the SD will be better for doing certain kinds of games on the go; e.g., isometric RPGs will work better with the touch pad.

My main concern has always been the lack of backwards compatibility by Nintendo. Hopefully this won’t be the case going forward because it would be a bummer to lose all those games. 

I am looking forward to playing Crusaders King 3, Civ 6, and Person 4 Golden. I am interested how well CK3 works in handheld. I bought the game at launch and have only played 10 mins of the tutorial. 

3 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

I am looking forward to playing Crusaders King 3. I am interested how well CK3 works in handheld. I bought the game at launch and have only played 10 mins of the tutorial. 

Don't worry you can still be the king and get killed by your lover's dog on the Steam Deck.

STREET FIGHTER V portable! Finally! And maybe Guilty Gear Strive if that's on Steam? I know it's on Windows, at least. Maybe I can somehow get that game to run on Steam Deck? I don't want to do much (or any) modding, though.

8 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

My main concern has always been the lack of backwards compatibility by Nintendo.

??? Nintendo has historically been very backwards-compatible friendly with their games, especially when it came to their handhelds. And they have been fairly backwards-compatible with their consoles, ever since GameCube. 

Switch is kind of the outlier, which I feel Nintendo felt they had to do a hard reset after the spectacular failure of the Wii U. No idea where this concern of BC with Nintendo comes from. I feel they are at least better at this than Playstation in some ways. Though so far no one beats Xbox in this feature.

22 minutes ago, GameDadGrant said:

And maybe Guilty Gear Strive if that's on Steam?

It is.

17 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

I don’t recall being able to bring my digital Wii games to the Wii U. Wasn’t it physical disc BC only?

Yeah I thought the big thing about the Wii digitally was they never had like a unified account system so it was gone after the Wii. Luckily I only had Bit Trip Runner and Midnight Pool so I didn't lose much.

53 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

@GameDadGrant I don’t recall being able to bring my digital Wii games to the Wii U. Wasn’t it physical disc BC only?

Your digital Wii games are transferable to Wii U. :) 

But in typical Nintendo fashion, you had to have your Wii *right next* to your new Wii U so you could transfer them via local wireless. It was hokey, since the Wii didn't have online accounts or anything...but it worked. All my digital Wii Virtual Console and WiiWare games are now on my Wii U! 

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

It is.

Yeah I thought the big thing about the Wii digitally was they never had like a unified account system so it was gone after the Wii. Luckily I only had Bit Trip Runner and Midnight Pool so I didn't lose much.

Ah, great news about Guilty Gear Strive! Yeah I'd play that on Steam Deck for sure.

And as mentioned in my post above, you can transfer your digital Wii games to Wii U. Via local wireless. 

18 minutes ago, GameDadGrant said:

Ah, great news about Guilty Gear Strive! Yeah I'd play that on Steam Deck for sure.

And as mentioned in my post above, you can transfer your digital Wii games to Wii U. Via local wireless. 

Yep, this will have no issues running Strive! You actually preordered one of these? Neat!

Oh you know what I really am looking foward to play specifically on this is Mass Effect Andromeda. I always get distracted from it but I really do want to go back and play it, and I can just continue off my existing pc save and have all new to me Mass Effect portable!

Just now, ManUtdRedDevils said:

Disco Elysium is another one. I think a text heavy game is easier to digest on a handheld. 

I might just get that on switch before then since I think it’s soon? But that is for sure the type of thing I’ve been waiting for a portable version of for the same reason. I don’t like reading a lot of text on the tv.

I dunno. I don't really play games when I'm somewhere a handheld would be handy, because I'm usually doing something else. I do like the occasional game while lying in bed but... I guess probably just FFXIV, really. I've always loved the idea of an MMO on the go. (And not a fake shitty mobile MMO.)

9 hours ago, GameDadGrant said:

I never got a wii u so they are essentially gone because I can't bring them to the switch.

Meanwhile I can play a digital 360 game on an XboxSex. (You know, 16 years later)

16 hours ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

My main concern has always been the lack of backwards compatibility by Nintendo. Hopefully this won’t be the case going forward because it would be a bummer to lose all those games. 

I am looking forward to playing Crusaders King 3, Civ 6, and Person 4 Golden. I am interested how well CK3 works in handheld. I bought the game at launch and have only played 10 mins of the tutorial. 

Persona 4 Golden is at the top of my list to play on it! Fae Tactics and Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark are pretty high up there as well. Also looking forward to using this as a controller for Warframe (tried many different ways to play that game but nothing felt right this looks like it will) as well. Might be a good place to play the Shadowrun rpg's and Valkyria Chronicles as well.

11 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I never got a wii u so they are essentially gone because I can't bring them to the switch.

Meanwhile I can play a digital 360 game on an XboxSex. (You know, 16 years later)

Yeah, as I said, nobody really beats Xbox in the "digital backwards compatibility" feature. That is one of the best things about the platform, especially if you like playing your old games.

Take note, Nintendo and Sony! Especially since you both have far greater legacy games that people love to play still! Put all your digital games on your storefronts (and for free) you cowards! 

EDIT: Also, if it’s any consolation, I can still play the original Super Mario Bros. games on my Switch. Y’know 15 years later. ;) 

Nintendo changed chip manufacturers from AMD to NVIDIA from the Wii U to Switch.  Doesn’t make backwards compatibility impossible, but it’s probably less automatic than it’s been for Nintendo platforms in the past.  There’s also the need to optimize for undocked mode.

I fully expect what Nintendo platform that comes next to have backwards compatibility with Switch.  Most of their modern platforms do go back at least one generation in the launch model.

1 hour ago, GameDadGrant said:

Yeah, as I said, nobody really beats Xbox in the "digital backwards compatibility" feature. That is one of the best things about the platform, especially if you like playing your old games.

With Valve entering the hardware space and putting so much into Proton, I’d say they win now.  The sheer number of games that should work on the Steam Deck, even as is out of the box, should be unreal.

Steam Deck will also be the only modern dedicated gaming platform where online gaming is free … which I also view as a compatibility feature.  A lot more old game servers are still are up on PC as well. 

1 hour ago, GameDadGrant said:

Oh, I just remembered that the Dead Space games are on Steam, right? I never played those but I heard good things about them.

Aye. They are. And that reminds me, I still have yet to play Alien: Isolation. Might be a good test for the Deck with my noise-cancelling headphones. :nervous:

EDIT: Oh crap. I also have The Evil Within. :skull:

26 minutes ago, imthesoldier said:

Aye. They are. And that reminds me, I still have yet to play Alien: Isolation. Might be a good test for the Deck with my noise-cancelling headphones. :nervous:

EDIT: Oh crap. I also have The Evil Within. :skull:

Now people have the conveniences of playing a game that could scare the crap out of them on the crapper themselves. Numb/fallen asleep static feeling legs for everyone 

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

As long as you pay for Nintendo Online. What a bargain!

Here’s the main line Mario support list for Steam Deck again to compares against Switch’s support of main line Mario games:

Super Mario Bros

Super Mario Bros 2

Super Mario Bros Lost Levels

Super Mario Bros 3

Super Mario Land

Super Mario World

Super Mario All Stars

Super Mario Land 2

Yoshis Island

Super Mario 64 (720/60/widescreen/extra AF etc)

Super Mario Sunshine (720/60/widescreen/extra AF etc)

New Super Mario Bros (720p/extra AF etc)

Super Mario Galaxy (720p/extra AF etc/bonus of touch pads here for pointer emulation)

New Super Mario Bros Wii (720p/extra AF etc)

Super Mario Galaxy 2 (720p/extra AF etc/bonus of touch pads here for pointer emulation)

New Super Mario Bros 2 (720p/extra AF etc)

New Super Mario Bros Wiiu (extra af etc)

Super Mario 3D Land (720p/extra af etc)

Super Mario 3D World (extra af etc)

Super Mario Odyssey (may need some more yuzu improvements but within a year I bet)

Super Mario Bowsers Fury (probably runs right away at 30fps as on switch handheld, hopefully eventually emulate to 60 handheld!)

• Shocked 1

3 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

As long as you pay for Nintendo Online. What a bargain!

Well, I mean...it is a bargain. And aren't you paying for Nintendo Online anyway? Why wouldn't anyone do that. It's $20 A YEAR. 

2 hours ago, stepee said:

Here’s the main line Mario support list for Steam Deck again to compares against Switch’s support of main line Mario games:

Super Mario Bros

Super Mario Bros 2

Super Mario Bros Lost Levels

Super Mario Bros 3

Super Mario Land

Super Mario World

Super Mario All Stars

Super Mario Land 2

Yoshis Island

Super Mario 64 (720/60/widescreen/extra AF etc)

Super Mario Sunshine (720/60/widescreen/extra AF etc)

New Super Mario Bros (720p/extra AF etc)

Super Mario Galaxy (720p/extra AF etc/bonus of touch pads here for pointer emulation)

New Super Mario Bros Wii (720p/extra AF etc)

Super Mario Galaxy 2 (720p/extra AF etc/bonus of touch pads here for pointer emulation)

New Super Mario Bros 2 (720p/extra AF etc)

New Super Mario Bros Wiiu (extra af etc)

Super Mario 3D Land (720p/extra af etc)

Super Mario 3D World (extra af etc)

Super Mario Odyssey (may need some more yuzu improvements but within a year I bet)

Super Mario Bowsers Fury (probably runs right away at 30fps as on switch handheld, hopefully eventually emulate to 60 handheld!)

Those games aren't on Steam, you goon! LOL 

Are you referring to an emulator? Ha like that will last. You KNOW Nintendo's lawyer-bots will be on that like white on rice in no time. :lol: