Valve drops a Tim Epic-approved steamer!

Hurricane Game

33 minutes ago, stepee said:

Ayyyy yeah the internals are sweet and price is right, this could be a real deal here. I’ll have to see button placement when I feel it I guess, it doesn’t look right to me, I play on the switch lite now and never had any issues with comfort on it myself.

The IGN video made it look ok while holding. I think it will depend on the weight of the device. I will say the Valve controller looks weird at first too but is comfortable to hold and use. Even the VR controllers are fine. I have faith that while it looks weird, it will be comfortable even though I still don’t like the layout. 

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Valve drops a Tim Epic-approved steamer!
1 minute ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

The IGN video made it look ok while holding. I think it will depend on the weight of the device. I will say the Valve controller looks weird at first too but is comfortable to hold and use. Even the VR controllers are fine. I have faith that while it looks weird, it will be comfortable even though I still don’t like the layout. 

Eh...I played a lot of games with the Steam controller and the face buttons were...less than ideal. Valve prioritized the touchpads so much that it left the face buttons tinier than I would have preferred. That's my biggest concern with this one coupled with how close to the edge they seem to be. Valve designs their gamepads as though we should have both thumbs on the analog sticks at all times.

3 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Eh...I played a lot of games with the Steam controller and the face buttons were...less than ideal. Valve prioritized the touchpads so much that it left the face buttons tinier than I would have preferred. That's my biggest concern with this one coupled with how close to the edge they seem to be. Valve designs their gamepads as though we should have both thumbs on the analog sticks at all times.

I didn’t mind it. Like @Zaku3 said maybe the back buttons will be a better option for some people. 

I’m kinda in the I WANT IT crowd. Be handy for for my PC games and I’m thinking it would be amazing with XCloud gaming. I wonder if the system would work with VR sets? Walk around looking like StarLord rocking my streaming Walkman on a belt clip with huge ass VR Headset. We could be getting closer to a Ready Player One world, sooner than I thought

7 minutes ago, Raggit said:

And just like that, my desire for a "Switch Pro" dropped dramatically. I'm looking forward to this. 

Switch has been regulated to an exclusive only system. No longer must I decide between graphics or portability. 

Has anyone seen the IGN video with Gaben. Looking like Moses. Coming down from Mt Siani with the Steam Deck.

1 minute ago, silentbob said:

I’m kinda in the I WANT IT crowd. Be handy for for my PC games and I’m thinking it would be amazing with XCloud gaming. I wonder if the system would work with VR sets? Walk around looking like StarLord rocking my streaming Walkman on a belt clip with huge ass VR Headset. We could be getting closer to a Ready Player One world, sooner than I thought

They did mention it would work wit VR. My concern would be the performance since it's only a 4 CU device.

I would really like to just stick to Linux on it with a made-for-handled OS overlay, but I'm worried Windows will be necessary. At least it has the trackpads to make navigating that not terrible.

I don't have Gamepass yet, but I imagine it wouldn't work on Linux. Not sure about Blizzard games either (really, I'm just interested in D2 and D4 on that though)

21 minutes ago, stepee said:

@ManUtdRedDevils getting scared by all the interest in this, it’s gonna b hard to preorder i bet :(

Yea same. So how does it work? You put $5 down which then slots you in a Q to buy it at a later date?  I was thinking of asking my brother try to buy it to increase the odds 

4 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I’ll buy this because I’m a big dumb idiot

Being an Astros fan already told us you are an idiot bud. ;)

Yea same. So how does it work? You put $5 down which then slots you in a Q to buy it at a later date?  I was thinking of asking my brother try to buy it to increase the odds 

Yeah I think that’s how it works, you’ll get an invite to preorder it or whatever at a later time. If you can get someone to do it, i would, worst case you end up with two preorders and your brother can keep his and turn that $5 into $300 probably.

Yes reservations start at 1pm ET. The 5 dollars holds your place in the queue. You will get an email when it's time to actually order it. The 5 dollars is refundable and it is applied to your total.

1 minute ago, Zaku3 said:

Yes reservations start at 1pm ET. The 5 dollars holds your place in the queue. You will get an email when it's time to actually order it. The 5 dollars is refundable and it is applied to your total.

I wish it didn’t go towards your total and was like called an “instant access fee” so then resetera would boycott it.

1 hour ago, Zaku3 said:

Switch has been regulated to an exclusive only system. No longer must I decide between graphics or portability. 

I don’t think you’ll ever not have to, at least compared to consoles and desktops.  The bleeding edge will always be a step or two ahead of portables.

I’m not going to discount a Switch 2/Pro being on competitive footing either, in practice.  DLSS excels at low resolution reconstruction whereas FSR does not.

49 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

I don’t think you’ll ever not have to, at least compared to consoles and desktops.  The bleeding edge will always be a step or two ahead of portables.

I’m not going to discount a Switch 2/Pro being on competitive footing either, in practice.  DLSS excels at low resolution reconstruction whereas FSR does not.

Should have been more specific. Like Bloodstained. Previously I had to choose between 1440p or handheld. Now I can buy the game on steam and play on my desktop and be able to play it via the deck.