Jump to content

Netflix will start publishing video games, has hired former EA exec


Jason
 Share

Recommended Posts

So streaming games on their service? Ugh, that could actually take off if they just add it in. I really love the idea of streaming but I don’t want there to be no other option for any upcoming games until it has matured a lot, like when 5g or whatever is next is enough to play just as if it were native.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, stepee said:

So streaming games on their service? Ugh, that could actually take off if they just add it in. I really love the idea of streaming but I don’t want there to be no other option for any upcoming games until it has matured a lot, like when 5g or whatever is next is enough to play just as if it were native.

 

Quote

The most likely outcome is not games on Netflix, but a requirement to buy an extra Online Pass on top of your Netflix subscription to be able to access the second half of movies.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I'm sure this will do absolute wonders for Netflix's debt burden.


Netflix makes films and tv shows, two areas that are relatively well covered by trade guilds and unions.  Game making doesn’t enjoy anywhere near that much protection, it’s probably cheaper for them overall.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

 

I'll be honest, I haven't watched hardly anything on Netflix in months. As a middle aged straight white guy, i'm obviously not their target demographic. Now i just stick to Shudder, Amazon Prime and Hulu

 

Netflix had a target demographic? I think their entire demographic targeting is based on just throwing a bunch of shit at the wall and seeing what sticks.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, they are good at actually streaming stuff. If they treat it like they did streaming back in the day, basically giving it away for free until it matures, I can see it gaining some traction. If that's the case, I would guess they have very few, if any exclusive games to start.

 

One big question is if they'd put games into their main app, or if they'd spin it off into it's own thing. If they're going to try and gradually grow the service and capture players just checking out this thing they're getting for "free," it makes the most sense to put it on their primary app, but that might risk the wrath of Apple in particular. I suppose we could see the Android app include games but iOS forces you to a web page.

 

I'm still bullish on streaming as being a significant part of the future of games, and I think Netflix has as good a shot as anyone to capture some of that market if they play it slow. The more I think about it, the more sense it makes. In their earnings reports, Netflix calls out games and Fortnite in particular as being some of their biggest competitors for entertainment time. If they can capture some of that back by streaming some of those games, they can capture more of that time back.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

Well, they are good at actually streaming stuff. If they treat it like they did streaming back in the day, basically giving it away for free until it matures, I can see it gaining some traction. If that's the case, I would guess they have very few, if any exclusive games to start.

 

One big question is if they'd put games into their main app, or if they'd spin it off into it's own thing. If they're going to try and gradually grow the service and capture players just checking out this thing they're getting for "free," it makes the most sense to put it on their primary app, but that might risk the wrath of Apple in particular. I suppose we could see the Android app include games but iOS forces you to a web page.

 

I'm still bullish on streaming as being a significant part of the future of games, and I think Netflix has as good a shot as anyone to capture some of that market if they play it slow. The more I think about it, the more sense it makes. In their earnings reports, Netflix calls out games and Fortnite in particular as being some of their biggest competitors for entertainment time. If they can capture some of that back by streaming some of those games, they can capture more of that time back.

 

Yep, I agree with all of this. I just hope they don’t play it smart because I don’t want streaming exclusives for like another 10 years.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hrmmmm... I'm curious what devices they are going to support this on. 
Like... I'm assuming the games won't run great via the Netflix app installed on a 10 year old Visio TV. 
Or all those blu-ray players that have built in apps. 

 

Also, I wonder if they'll try to create their own controller?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/15/2021 at 9:27 AM, Keyser_Soze said:

EA exec. Don't expect much.

 

This is exactly what I was thinking... are they going to buy some dead franchises to revive them so they can kill them again?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/15/2021 at 10:30 AM, XxEvil AshxX said:

 

I'll be honest, I haven't watched hardly anything on Netflix in months. As a middle aged straight white guy, i'm obviously not their target demographic. Now i just stick to Shudder, Amazon Prime and Hulu


I can’t tell if this is a terrible take or a terrible joke

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/15/2021 at 5:16 AM, Bloodporne said:

There is zero doubt in my mind that their first release will feature a Dudebro with a fauxhawk and hipster beard shooting things. 

Sunset Overdrive coming to a Netflix near you!

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

After Disney announced they're no longer releasing physical copies of older films it finally sunk in that streaming's probably where everything's going sooner or later. I literally feel like ranting at clouds over this shit, but ah well -_-

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, heydude93 said:

After Disney announced they're no longer releasing physical copies of older films it finally sunk in that streaming's probably where everything's going sooner or later.

 

They are never leaving the Disney vault again! :skull:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

BM_Bandersnatch-3.jpg?w=1024
DEADLINE.COM

Netflix has given its first real hints about its push into video games. The streamer said that the “time is right to learn more about how our members value games” and said that original games would…

 

Quote

Netflix has given its first real hints about its push into video games.

The streamer said that the “time is right to learn more about how our members value games” and said that original games would be included in the existing subscription cost, rather than be an add-on.

This comes after it hired former Facebook and Electronic Arts exec Mike Verdu to bolster its move into gaming. He joins as VP of Game Development.

“We’re also in the early stages of further expanding into games, building on our earlier efforts around interactivity,” it noted in its second quarter shareholders’ letter.

The company added that it wants to build on what it has done with projects such as Black Mirror Bandersnatch and its Stranger Things games and that its initial push with be focused on games for mobile devices.

“We view gaming as another new content category for us, similar to our expansion into original films, animation and unscripted TV. Games will be included in members’ Netflix subscription at no additional cost similar to films and series. Initially, we’ll be primarily focused on games for mobile devices,” it added

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Makes sense to go after mobile games first. Assuming their goal is to occupy more entertainment time, mobile games likely represent the best return on investment, have the lowest barrier to entry, and the shortest development time. It also means they don't need to get game streaming working for the time being.

 

If they're developing their own games, it also means expanding their existing IP.

 

I do still think that if they get into streaming bigger games, they're more likely to license existing games (like Witcher 3) than build their own, but mobile is a whole different ballgame that absolutely makes more sense for them to start with.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...