Netflix will start publishing video games, has hired former EA exec

Jason

So streaming games on their service? Ugh, that could actually take off if they just add it in. I really love the idea of streaming but I don’t want there to be no other option for any upcoming games until it has matured a lot, like when 5g or whatever is next is enough to play just as if it were native.

2 hours ago, stepee said:

So streaming games on their service? Ugh, that could actually take off if they just add it in. I really love the idea of streaming but I don’t want there to be no other option for any upcoming games until it has matured a lot, like when 5g or whatever is next is enough to play just as if it were native.

The most likely outcome is not games on Netflix, but a requirement to buy an extra Online Pass on top of your Netflix subscription to be able to access the second half of movies.

10 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I'm sure this will do absolute wonders for Netflix's debt burden.

Netflix makes films and tv shows, two areas that are relatively well covered by trade guilds and unions.  Game making doesn’t enjoy anywhere near that much protection, it’s probably cheaper for them overall.

14 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

I'll be honest, I haven't watched hardly anything on Netflix in months. As a middle aged straight white guy, i'm obviously not their target demographic. Now i just stick to Shudder, Amazon Prime and Hulu

Netflix had a target demographic? I think their entire demographic targeting is based on just throwing a bunch of shit at the wall and seeing what sticks.

• Haha 1

Well, they are good at actually streaming stuff. If they treat it like they did streaming back in the day, basically giving it away for free until it matures, I can see it gaining some traction. If that's the case, I would guess they have very few, if any exclusive games to start.

One big question is if they'd put games into their main app, or if they'd spin it off into it's own thing. If they're going to try and gradually grow the service and capture players just checking out this thing they're getting for "free," it makes the most sense to put it on their primary app, but that might risk the wrath of Apple in particular. I suppose we could see the Android app include games but iOS forces you to a web page.

I'm still bullish on streaming as being a significant part of the future of games, and I think Netflix has as good a shot as anyone to capture some of that market if they play it slow. The more I think about it, the more sense it makes. In their earnings reports, Netflix calls out games and Fortnite in particular as being some of their biggest competitors for entertainment time. If they can capture some of that back by streaming some of those games, they can capture more of that time back.

29 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

Well, they are good at actually streaming stuff. If they treat it like they did streaming back in the day, basically giving it away for free until it matures, I can see it gaining some traction. If that's the case, I would guess they have very few, if any exclusive games to start.

One big question is if they'd put games into their main app, or if they'd spin it off into it's own thing. If they're going to try and gradually grow the service and capture players just checking out this thing they're getting for "free," it makes the most sense to put it on their primary app, but that might risk the wrath of Apple in particular. I suppose we could see the Android app include games but iOS forces you to a web page.

I'm still bullish on streaming as being a significant part of the future of games, and I think Netflix has as good a shot as anyone to capture some of that market if they play it slow. The more I think about it, the more sense it makes. In their earnings reports, Netflix calls out games and Fortnite in particular as being some of their biggest competitors for entertainment time. If they can capture some of that back by streaming some of those games, they can capture more of that time back.

Yep, I agree with all of this. I just hope they don’t play it smart because I don’t want streaming exclusives for like another 10 years.

Hrmmmm... I'm curious what devices they are going to support this on. 
Like... I'm assuming the games won't run great via the Netflix app installed on a 10 year old Visio TV. 
Or all those blu-ray players that have built in apps. 

Also, I wonder if they'll try to create their own controller?

On 7/15/2021 at 10:30 AM, XxEvil AshxX said:

I'll be honest, I haven't watched hardly anything on Netflix in months. As a middle aged straight white guy, i'm obviously not their target demographic. Now i just stick to Shudder, Amazon Prime and Hulu

I can’t tell if this is a terrible take or a terrible joke

• Haha 1

After Disney announced they're no longer releasing physical copies of older films it finally sunk in that streaming's probably where everything's going sooner or later. I literally feel like ranting at clouds over this shit, but ah well -_-

BM_Bandersnatch-3.jpg?w=1024
DEADLINE.COM

Netflix has given its first real hints about its push into video games. The streamer said that the “time is right to learn more about how our members value games” and said that original games would…

Netflix has given its first real hints about its push into video games.

The streamer said that the “time is right to learn more about how our members value games” and said that original games would be included in the existing subscription cost, rather than be an add-on.

This comes after it hired former Facebook and Electronic Arts exec Mike Verdu to bolster its move into gaming. He joins as VP of Game Development.

“We’re also in the early stages of further expanding into games, building on our earlier efforts around interactivity,” it noted in its second quarter shareholders’ letter.

The company added that it wants to build on what it has done with projects such as Black Mirror Bandersnatch and its Stranger Things games and that its initial push with be focused on games for mobile devices.

“We view gaming as another new content category for us, similar to our expansion into original films, animation and unscripted TV. Games will be included in members’ Netflix subscription at no additional cost similar to films and series. Initially, we’ll be primarily focused on games for mobile devices,” it added

Makes sense to go after mobile games first. Assuming their goal is to occupy more entertainment time, mobile games likely represent the best return on investment, have the lowest barrier to entry, and the shortest development time. It also means they don't need to get game streaming working for the time being.

If they're developing their own games, it also means expanding their existing IP.

I do still think that if they get into streaming bigger games, they're more likely to license existing games (like Witcher 3) than build their own, but mobile is a whole different ballgame that absolutely makes more sense for them to start with.