2/3 of GOP voters in South say region should secede from USA

Were the south to secede, it would become the world's third largest nuclear power. 

Kings Bay, Georgia is host to 6 of our ballistic missile submarines, each with 24 missiles. Total, this base hosts around 1,300 warheads and another 150 nuclear cruise missiles. 

Barksdale Air Force base, Louisiana is host to four squadrons of B-52s. Barksdale has approximately 940 warheads. 

Both of those locations have active nuclear weapons stockpiles.

Oak Ridge, TN can produce uranium. 

The Pantex plant in Amarillo, TX can assemble warheads. More than half of our arsenal that is waiting to be dismantled is located here. That's somewhere north of 1,000. 

The Savannah River Site in South Carolina can produce plutonium. 

This is not something we want. 

Warhead source numbers from here. The numbers are from 2011 and so through New START, I would imagine that these numbers now are about half of what they were when these numbers were published. 

EDIT: Up to date numbers as of this year. Not broken down by base, but seeing as we have only one other B-52 base, one other submarine base, and , Pantex hasn't moved, I'd say the Southern US would still be the world's third largest nuclear power. Greater than China. 

• Shocked 1

The numbers wanting secession in the other regions aren't dramatically lower overall with about 1/3 in any of the other regions feeling similarly.  And it's not like all of those non-Southern states will remain intact either - you can be assured that Virginia will split between NoVA and the rest, California will certainly break apart, etc.

The concept of a "United States of America" as a political entity very much has an expiration date.

2 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

The numbers wanting secession in the other regions aren't dramatically lower overall with about 1/3 in any of the other regions feeling similarly.  And it's not like all of those non-Southern states will remain intact either - you can be assured that Virginia will split between NoVA and the rest, California will certainly break apart, etc.

The concept of a "United States of America" as a political entity very much has an expiration date.

Western VA will join wva, but the urban crescent and Charlottesville will join Nova

34 minutes ago, CayceG said:

Were the south to secede, it would become the world's third largest nuclear power. 

Kings Bay, Georgia is host to 6 of our ballistic missile submarines, each with 24 missiles. Total, this base hosts around 1,300 warheads and another 150 nuclear cruise missiles. 

Barksdale Air Force base, Louisiana is host to four squadrons of B-52s. Barksdale has approximately 940 warheads. 

The Pantex plant in Amarillo, TX can assemble warheads. More than half of our arsenal that is waiting to be dismantled is located here. That's somewhere north of 1,000. 

Warhead source numbers from here. The numbers are from 2011 and so through New START, I would imagine that these numbers now are about half of what they were when these numbers were published. 

EDIT: Up to date numbers as of this year. Not broken down by base, but seeing as we have only one other B-52 base, one other submarine base, and , Pantex hasn't moved, I'd say the Southern US would still be the world's third largest nuclear power. Greater than China. 

So what I'm hearing is glass the south immediately after secession. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CayceG said:

How do you have all that memorized?! Great post though, thank you for the nightmares.

33 minutes ago, Anathema- said:

American fascists troll pollsters. Quit giving the polling nerds who can't give up sensational headlines the clicks they want. 

If it was just trolling, why the huge increase since January?

The difference being southern states aren’t as homogenous as before. Georgia and Virginia just voted blue. North Carolina is competitive. Texas is changing. Florida is a melting pot.

The last time they seceded, Republicans weren’t even on the ballot as far as I know. Some of them voted 90+% Democratic when they were a Conservative party.

I’d sooner expect a place like Idaho to secede than the current south.

15 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

One year grace period where anyone on one side can move to the other, all costs covered.

The biggest problem with that is the poor are often stuck wherever they are, or they would have moved years ago. I'm not even poor, but leaving Texas wouldn't be that easy for me, as long as there was no other job lined up for me somewhere else. I can't even fathom how bad it would be for people who are basically stuck in their specific living conditions.

2 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

The difference being southern states aren’t as homogenous as before. Georgia and Virginia just voted blue. North Carolina is competitive. Texas is changing. Florida is a melting pot.

The last time they seceded, Republicans weren’t even on the ballot as far as I know. Some of them voted 90+% Democratic when they were a Conservative party.

I’d sooner expect a place like Idaho to secede than the current south.

They'd try to bring eastern Washington with them. It would be a white supremacist/militia (tomato/tomato) paradise. 

17 hours ago, CayceG said:

So, we rid ourselves of most of the rednecks, and increase our chances of nuclear annihilation? That’s a fucking win-win if I ever heard one bro 

I don't ever believe that more than a very small portion of people actually think seceding is a real or plausible idea. As mentioned in that followup tweet, it's got to be almost all signaling.

On the other hand, I think changing States up a bit could work out just fine. Breaking some up, combining others. I don't expect that to happen either, but it seems at least remotely plausible. I also think it would be a good thing for us to re-consider some of the "foundations" of this country. It's one of the reasons I'm rooting for D.C./PR statehood. Maybe some of the lines drawn 150 years ago don't make as much sense anymore. Maybe we can increase the size of the House again. Maybe the structure of the Senate could be re-examined.

Then again, it's probably foolish of me to expect that any real changes would be for the better. The Democrats would probably try and compromise and accomplish nothing while the GOP creates the states of middle Dakota and Western Wyoming and Newer New Mexico to ensure a Senate majority.

• Haha 1