Spider-Man: No Way Home Trailer and Discussion Thread

It doesn't really lower the "stakes" if you continue to keep the focus on one timeline. Into the Spider-Verse did this perfectly by keeping the focus on Miles Morales. I'm sure Marvel will continue to do the same. What If seems to be the one exception that allows them to tell stories take take place in alternate timelines.

I mean, this movie could very well be a mess by having all of these other character from previous Spider-Man movies, but it does seem like Marvel is trying to ground this by focusing on the emotional stakes of Peter in this timeline.

I know this is just me, but I have a hard time caring about “big picture” stakes when it comes to comics and comics movies since they almost always do the fictional equivalent of regressing to the mean. If an individual book, arc, story, issue, etc., is cool, I’m in. The canon or the larger framework is just too squishy for me to invest in meaningfully.

I also, generally, find “smaller scale” stakes to be more impactful anyway. Aunt May yelling at Peter to take money from her or Peter telling Aunt May why he feels responsible for Uncle Ben’s death in Spider-Man 2 hit harder than anything Tony and Peter go through in the MCU, even though the stakes in the latter are arguably higher (and I think those moments work, I’m not dunking on them).

It could also just be that Spider-Man 2 absolutely crushes. Man I hope Raimi’s turn on Doctor Strange is as good as the first 2 Spidey flicks.

So far, from what I'm seeing, this looks like it's going to be a lot of fun. I especially loved the frustration Doctor Strange had during the spell casting as Peter kept trying to adjust the spell, and Strange is trying to concentrate on taking it seriously.

8 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

I know this is just me, but I have a hard time caring about “big picture” stakes when it comes to comics and comics movies since they almost always do the fictional equivalent of regressing to the mean. If an individual book, arc, story, issue, etc., is cool, I’m in. The canon or the larger framework is just too squishy for me to invest in meaningfully.

I also, generally, find “smaller scale” stakes to be more impactful anyway. Aunt May yelling at Peter to take money from her or Peter telling Aunt May why he feels responsible for Uncle Ben’s death in Spider-Man 2 hit harder than anything Tony and Peter go through in the MCU, even though the stakes in the latter are arguably higher (and I think those moments work, I’m not dunking on them).

It could also just be that Spider-Man 2 absolutely crushes. Man I hope Raimi’s turn on Doctor Strange is as good as the first 2 Spidey flicks.

Yup. I''ve always said that scene in particular with May walking away silently to go upstairs and cry has more emotion than anything in the MCU thus far, not that the MCU hasn't had any good emotional scenes, but far too often a serious moment is broken with a joke or wisecrack, and while funny, it's starting to become a bit overrused. Bathos is a great literary technique when used properly, hell it works well in Thor Ragnarok because Taika Waititi is a great comedic writer, but there's so many moments in some of the other movies that would have a greater impact and emotion if they played it straight.

I guess my point is that the uniqueness of the individual is a major piece of why we care about specific characters. If they go toooo wide with the multiverse concept, you effectively end up with a character that is just one tiny imperceptible shade different than the next, and only as you get further and further shades away do you actually have a truly different character.

Personal stakes are exactly the issue! The MCU is at its most boring when it’s all big stuff. Part of what I enjoyed about Shang Chi is that it is mostly about the turmoil of an individual family. 

On 8/28/2021 at 1:15 AM, sblfilms said:

I guess my point is that the uniqueness of the individual is a major piece of why we care about specific characters. If they go toooo wide with the multiverse concept, you effectively end up with a character that is just one tiny imperceptible shade different than the next, and only as you get further and further shades away do you actually have a truly different character.

Personal stakes are exactly the issue! The MCU is at its most boring when it’s all big stuff. Part of what I enjoyed about Shang Chi is that it is mostly about the turmoil of an individual family. 

Exactly. This has been my worry about this. I hope they toe the right line.

• 1 month later...

They had no other choice, MCU Spider-Man only has one more movie left in the contract and iirc it can't be a standalone, which means he'll be in the next Avengers or whatever this phase's version of Civil War is, then that's it. Unless Sony and Disney come to an agreement (and I think they will - everyone is getting rich, it's just a pissing contest, there's too much money on the table for one of the parties to just leave)

• 4 weeks later...

2 hours and 39 minute runtime. Interesting choice considering this current series of films is known for being a more light take on the character. But now with the third one they go all epic, sprawling and multiverse on us. It'll be interesting to those who like the high school antics of the first two.

9 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

What the freakin' hell was that reference even supposed to mean?!?

Team up to solve the mystery/unmask the villain. Or get high in a van with a talking dog. With everything else going on in this movie, it wouldn’t surprise me if there was a talking dog.

Maybe it’s better in context (unlikely). 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Brick said:

There's five villains in that. They are definitely hiding a 6th so we can finally get the Sinister Six. 

If we look at the original six, aside from Kraven, we have Vulture and Mysterio to choose from. If these are supposed to be villains that die to Spider-Man, it would make more thematic sense for the sixth here to be Mysterio.

I do hope that one of these movies finally gives us Scorpion who was teased in the first movie. Anyone who watches Better Call Saul knows that Michael Mando is a damn fine actor, but my worry is that he isn't a big enough name (yet) that the studio wouldn't think he's a big enough draw. 

32 minutes ago, Brick said:

I do hope that one of these movies finally gives us Scorpion who was teased in the first movie. Anyone who watches Better Call Saul knows that Michael Mando is a damn fine actor, but my worry is that he isn't a big enough name (yet) that the studio wouldn't think he's a big enough draw. 

The first movie also teased Prowler and I'd imagine Donald Glover is certainly a big enough name.

21 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

The first movie also teased Prowler and I'd imagine Donald Glover is certainly a big enough name.

I feel like they'd save him for whenever they bring in Miles. Hopefully it's not just a retread of what we saw with those two in Spiderverse; I already kind of feel that this movie is just chasing those Spiderverse feels but now live action, even if I'm excited to see Tobey suit up again.