Infinity War revisited

It seems to me that the rate of people staying is around 50-60%. A lot of people do leave. The opening night crowds probably behave differently though.

I usually see Marvel flicks on the opening Sunday at like 10am. I bet the further out from opening night you get, the more casual the audience and the more likely they are to not stay.

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

What does that have to do with more movies being made? I didn't know he was coming back either but I knew more movies were coming and my only experience with The Lord of the Rings at that point was the animated movie which I saw as a kid WHICH, I believe, tried to cram all three books into one film. This is different than what we're talking about anyway. Audiences getting pissed because an actor spoiled the return of a character is different than audiences not expecting there to be a sequel to a hit movie that CLEARLY ends with a cliffhanger.

You guys would have me believe that the majority of the modern movie public just all of a sudden forgot how movies work and were left scratching their heads stupidly at the end of this movie and I just don't believe that is the case. But I grow weary of this "debate"... carry on :peace:

1) You’re continuing to make the assertion that most of the moviegoing public THINKS about movies after the movie ends. They don’t. Where’s the sequel to Inception? That also ended on a cliffhanger. And if you’re going to respond with, “well Marvel movies are obviously connected,” then you’ve already fallen into my trap because again people don’t think about this shit. :p

2) No I don’t think the majority of the modern move public FORGOT how movies work. The majority of the modern movie public NEVER KNEW TO BEGIN WITH AND WILL NEVER CARE TO LEARN. Again, this is @sblfilms ‘s every day life. 

1 hour ago, Chris- said:

I'm going to nitpick you on this one assertion, because I've never been in a superhero movie (Marvel or otherwise) where the crowd didn't stay through for the post-credits scene(s). I think Marvel has thoroughly conditioned people to do it.

I go to most MCU movies opening day or opening weekend. In 10 years I have never, not once, seen more than 25% of the audience stay through the credits. People have kids, people have to piss. They don’t stick around.

1 minute ago, Kal-El814 said:

1) You’re continuing to make the assertion that most of the moviegoing public THINKS about movies after the movie ends. They don’t. Where’s the sequel to Inception? That also ended on a cliffhanger. And if you’re going to respond with, “well Marvel movies are obviously connected,” then you’ve already fallen into my trap because again people don’t think about this shit. :p

2) No I don’t think the majority of the modern move public FORGOT how movies work. The majority of the modern movie public NEVER KNEW TO BEGIN WITH AND WILL NEVER CARE TO LEARN. Again, this is @sblfilms ‘s every day life. 

I go to most MCU movies opening day or opening weekend. In 10 years I have never, not once, seen more than 25% of the audience stay through the credits. People have kids, people have to piss. They don’t stick around.

Ok :peace:

1 minute ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Ok :peace:

Hey I don’t like that this is the way it is... but it is. Apparently a decent number of people show up to the movies not knowing what they’re going to see or when, which... BLOWS MY MIND. But if they don’t think about movies enough to plan what they’re going to see THIS AFTERRNOON they sure as shit aren’t thinking about what might come out next summer. :p

Here's an article about how casual fans experience the MCU in particular and Infinity War specifically....

https://www.theverge.com/2018/5/15/17317018/marvel-cinematic-universe-avengers-infinity-war-references

This part makes my point specifically.

Above all, casual viewers don’t always go into Infinity War knowing that it’s part one of a two-film arc, with the second one not slated for release until 2019. As much as that ending blindsided MCU loyalists, it was even stranger for viewers who expected a satisfying conclusion. Junior Jimenez, a glasses salesman from Brooklyn, considers himself a superfan who avoids watching trailers for fear of spoilers. “I had accepted the ‘good guys always win, for the most part’ cliché, so for me to see most of the Marvel characters turn to ash really left me speechless.” He adds, “It actually took me coming out of the theaters to realize it was only part one of two films, like ‘Marvel can’t end its movie franchise like that.’ That ending was mind-blowing.”

This has been my experience with most of the casual fans I know who see these movies. I don't buy for one second that the majority of people who saw this movie aren't expecting a sequel... People just aren't that dumb when it comes to movies.

21 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

I've had the exact opposite experience.

4 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

This has been my experience with most of the casual fans I know who see these movies. I don't buy for one second that the majority of people who saw this movie aren't expecting a sequel... People just aren't that dumb when it comes to movies.

People think Born in the USA is a non-critical, straight up patriotic Springsteen song. It’s not about people being DUMB about movies, or music, or whatever. It’s just that for an awful lot of people, it’s a fun way to kill a few hours, or it’s background noise. I get off a rollercoaster without thinking about the engineering that went into it. Some people get out of a movie and that’s just... it.

I don’t know why this is so hard to accept, some people spend $15 to turn their brain off for 2 hours and don’t think about it. Do a google search for, “is Rey in” and I’d bet that the predictive searches would be “Rogue One” and “Solo.” People just don’t think about this stuff.

Just now, Chris- said:

I've had the exact opposite experience.

As a solipsist I find your anecdote unconvincing. :p

• Guillotine 1

1 minute ago, Kal-El814 said:

People think Born in the USA is a non-critical, straight up patriotic Springsteen song. It’s not about people being DUMB about movies, or music, or whatever. It’s just that for an awful lot of people, it’s a fun way to kill a few hours, or it’s background noise. I get off a rollercoaster without thinking about the engineering that went into it. Some people get out of a movie and that’s just... it.

I don’t know why this is so hard to accept, some people spend $15 to turn their brain off for 2 hours and don’t think about it. Do a google search for, “is Rey in” and I’d bet that the predictive searches would be “Rogue One” and “Solo.” People just don’t think about this stuff.

As a solipsist I find your anecdote unconvincing. :p

It doesn't take much thought to realize that a hit movie that ended with the bad guy winning is going to get a sequel. That's my point. No people don't think about these movies as much as we do, I get that and that's not what Im arguing. I'm making the point that today's movie going audiences, even the casual ones are savvy enough to follow the story even though they don't know all the characters or spend a ton of time on the internet and realize that a movie with a cliffhanger ending is going to continue. The concept of movie serials is not new to the American movie going public and the fact that Marvel has built an lucrative franchise off of this approach that other studios are trying desperately to emulate means that filmgoers get it. They do and the numbers bare that out.

11 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

It doesn't take much thought to realize that a hit movie that ended with the bad guy winning is going to get a sequel. That's my point. No people don't think about these movies as much as we do, I get that and that's not what Im arguing. I'm making the point that today's movie going audiences, even the casual ones are savvy enough to follow the story even though they don't know all the characters or spend a ton of time on the internet and realize that a movie with a cliffhanger ending is going to continue. The concept of movie serials is not new to the American movie going public and the fact that Marvel has built an lucrative franchise off of this approach that other studios are trying desperately to emulate means that filmgoers get it. They do and the numbers bare that out.

It doesn’t require MUCH thought. A lot of people spare NONE. 

Here's an article about how casual fans experience the MCU in particular and Infinity War specifically....

https://www.theverge.com/2018/5/15/17317018/marvel-cinematic-universe-avengers-infinity-war-references

This part makes my point specifically.

okay if that guy considers himself a 'superfan' then he obviously doesn't know the definition of what a superfan is, especially is he think Marvel was ending its movie franchise. 

1 hour ago, EternallDarkness said:

okay if that guy considers himself a 'superfan' then he obviously doesn't know the definition of what a superfan is, especially is he think Marvel was ending its movie franchise. 

The point is, he DIDN'T think that's how they would end their franchise and realized that another film was coming to tie things up. I'm a "superfan" too and I don't watch a lot of trailers  and shit for fear of spoilers as well..

The point is, he DIDN'T think that's how they would end their franchise and realized that another film was coming to tie things up. I'm a "superfan" too and I don't watch a lot of trailers  and shit for fear of spoilers as well..

yeah  but he's saying he's a superfan but he didn't know it was part 1 of 2 until he checked the internet. I would have thought a superfan would have instantly realized and understood there was more coming. I'm not saying he needed to know it would be a part movie, hell it could have been an opening part of a trilogy, but what I am saying is a real fan (hell anyone really) would have understood there was more to come without needing to check the internet. that's my opinion anyway. 

I took his "superfan" comment to mean that he really likes these movie, but avoids internet news on order to avoid spoilers. Also he's the kind of guy that everyone in this thread seems to be talking about, a movie fan who loves movies but doesn't spend all his time on internet message boards talking about them... like the majority of my friends and family who are casual movie goers and aren't in the business. Either way, whether he meets the definition of a "superfan" is besides the point... he didn't know going in that the film was a two parter but was easily able to deduce that it there was a 2nd part coming based on the way this film ended. Like most of the rest of the known population regardless of what people in this thread are trying to argue.  I don't know where it said he checked the internet... he said he realized it after he left the theater. My Mother and Sister are "superfans" of these movies yet they still call me up to ask questions about stuff they aren't clear on because they know I'm all over this shit as a comicbook fan, movie buff and someone who works in the business.

50 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I took his "superfan" comment to mean that he really likes these movie, but avoids internet news on order to avoid spoilers. Also he's the kind of guy that everyone in this thread seems to be talking about, a movie fan who loves movies but doesn't spend all his time on internet message boards talking about them... like the majority of my friends and family who are casual movie goers and aren't in the business. Either way, whether he meets the definition of a "superfan" is besides the point... he didn't know going in that the film was a two parter but was easily able to deduce that it there was a 2nd part coming based on the way this film ended. Like most of the rest of the known population regardless of what people in this thread are trying to argue.  I don't know where it said he checked the internet... he said he realized it after he left the theater. My Mother and Sister are "superfans" of these movies yet they still call me up to ask questions about stuff they aren't clear on because they know I'm all over this shit as a comicbook fan, movie buff and someone who works in the business.

yeah he said after he left the theater, which in my head I was thinking he checked the internet. And I guess I must have mistaken what you were saying, I thought you were saying it was difficult to understand there would be more, but clearly that isn't the case you just said he was easily able to deduce, like most normal people, which was my point. I didn't think it was a difficult thing at all for people to figure out that the story wasn't over. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, EternallDarkness said:

yeah he said after he left the theater, which in my head I was thinking he checked the internet. And I guess I must have mistaken what you were saying, I thought you were saying it was difficult to understand there would be more, but clearly that isn't the case you just said he was easily able to deduce, like most normal people, which was my point. I didn't think it was a difficult thing at all for people to figure out that the story wasn't over. 

Oh no... you and I are in complete agreement on this :p 

• Haha 1

On 8/21/2018 at 10:59 AM, Kal-El814 said:

Proof that Massachusetts sucks 

1 hour ago, number305 said:

Isn't the fact that Disney has made so much money off marvel movies - 

AND the fact that so many others (the mummy, DC) have tried to copy the connected universe idea

enough to prove that people are following what is going on between these movies?

Some people? Yes.

Most people? No.

3 hours ago, number305 said:

Isn't the fact that Disney has made so much money off marvel movies - 

AND the fact that so many others (the mummy, DC) have tried to copy the connected universe idea

enough to prove that people are following what is going on between these movies?

Not at all. Marvel makes money not because people can remember the story between films (reminder, Iron Man flicks made bank before the MCU really existed), but because on the whole their movies are good and crowd pleasing and marketed by the greatest marketing team in the business.

Remember when Warner hired one of the great directors to revive their Batman series and it madevtons of money because the movies weren’t trash anymore?

On 8/21/2018 at 12:59 PM, Kal-El814 said:

After reading through this thread, this is all I wanted to acknowledge. This has been my experience, as well. The vast majority of the audience leaves when the credit starts. I don't always go on opening night, but the experience is the same.

I watched this last week and I watched again today.

Pros
The fact that the movie isnt a incoherent mess shows how much care went into this movie.

Disney feels iffy on the quality of CGI sometimes but outside a few instances the whole movie feels top notch.

I would watch an entire Thor,Rocket,Groot film.

The Dr Strange/Thanos brawl gives me a half chub. Seeing Strange throw out the cyttorak bands makes me hopefull for seeing juggy in Marvel film.Wont happen but I can dream.

Cons

The Starlord screw up was so very obvious and god damn annoying.

Power level issues. Thanos wiped the floor with Hulk in about 30 seconds on his own.Seeing Cap grapple with him and take strike to the face is not good . Same with Widow and Okoye fighting Proxima ,certainly a member of Thanos Black Order doesnt get put in stalemate with 2 humans no matter the level of skil they have. Even with Disney altering her power level she  should be spiderman/ironman tier.

All in all I enjoyed the film but it doesnt crack into the top 5 Marvel films for me.

2 hours ago, SimpleG said:

I watched this last week and I watched again today.

Pros

Disney feels iffy on the quality of CGI sometimes but outside a few instances the whole movie feels top notch.

I would watch an entire Thor,Rocket,Groot film.

Cons

The Starlord screw up was so very obvious and god damn annoying.

agreed, especially the Banner in Hulk CGI.

Definitely would watch an Thor/Rocket team up film

As for the Starlord screw up it of course it was obvious and was strictly for symmetry, mirroring the earlier scene where Peter was trying to be the voice of reason but Drax wouldn't listen because he was overcome with emotion.  

On 8/20/2018 at 9:37 AM, skillzdadirecta said:

What they should have done was ended on a freeze frame of Cap and the surviving Avengers and then put in bold letters over the image " TO BE CONTINUED" like they did on old school 70's shows... for storytelling purposes. They could have even had a narrator read the words out for extra emphasis. 

What they should’ve done is have all of the avengers tied up and gagged and have countdown on a bomb with the question asking “Continue?” 

That way if audience chooses yes then Hawkeye shoots an arrow cutting the rope and disabling the bomb.

• Haha 1