Infinity War revisited

So I've rewatched Infinity War a number of times since it came on Blu-ray. Still enjoy the heck out of it and love how they gave each character their own moment, and I am definitely looking forward to seeing how they wrap this story up, but I must say the more I watch it the more I dislike two things. (well 3 things actually) 1. Not a fan of Tony's nanosuit, with it being able to be and do anything. 2. Cap's wrist shields. I just don't like them. I want Cap throwing that shield around.  And third, though this is kind of a complaint that originated with Black Panther the 'digital' masks, Iron man, Black Panther and now Spidey all have they helmets/masks that just disappear dissolve. I get why they are doing it, but it just feels cheap. Starlord has something similar, but he at least has to push a button or something to make it happen. None of these are deal breakers of course, just minor annoyances to me.

On a side note I just noticed that all 3 captain America's are coming back to the theater for Marvel 10th anniversary, and even though I've watched Winter Solider like a hundred times, I may have to go see it again on IMAX. 

Should probably post the obligatory spoiler alert in the title ED.

But anyway, I'd be interested to see who yall think IS coming back in the next movie and why. Personally, I don't think all of those who turned to ash are coming back. I think most of them will. But there's a few that may be gone for good.

17 minutes ago, nublood said:

But anyway, I'd be interested to see who yall think IS coming back in the next movie and why. Personally, I don't think all of those who turned to ash are coming back. I think most of them will. But there's a few that may be gone for good.

Curious as to what I posted you think is a spoiler? 

1 hour ago, nublood said:

I think everyone who was dusted will return. However, the deaths prior to that, will stick. Sort of. 

Most of Asgard will stay dead, including Loki & Heimdall. Gamora will stay dead, but only because I think the plot of Guardians 3 will involve retrieving the soul stone and bringing her back there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nublood said:

You ask us for the why but don't give one yourself? :P Why do you think some but not others are coming back? What's the reasoning there?

3 hours ago, EternallDarkness said:

Curious as to what I posted you think is a spoiler? 

I didn't clarify. Sorry about that. I meant that there would most likely be massive spoilers in this thread and that you should put it in the thread title. lol

52 minutes ago, nublood said:

I didn't clarify. Sorry about that. I meant that there would most likely be massive spoilers in this thread and that you should put it in the thread title. lol

Gotcha, but I would think having the word revisited in the thread title would let people know there could be spoilers. to revisit something you  have to have first visited it before (ie have seen it already) 

The only complaint I can come up with is that it really isn't a stand-alone movie.  Not that I was expecting it to be, but if someone has never watched any (or most) of the previous entries this movie would make little sense and have little emotional impact.  But considering that I'm a nerd and have watched every other movie multiple times, this movie made me feel shit, man.  I am most particularly fond of Thor's storyline.  I really enjoyed his journey and his persistence to keep going on - actually becoming more determined - despite losing almost everyone he cares about (Sif is the only character that we haven't seen die on screen).  Chris Hemsworth is also fucking money and plays the part perfectly.  And for this reason I can easily overlook any nitpicks in storytelling.

47 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

The only complaint I can come up with is that it really isn't a stand-alone movie.  Not that I was expecting it to be, but if someone has never watched any (or most) of the previous entries this movie would make little sense and have little emotional impact.  But considering that I'm a nerd and have watched every other movie multiple times, this movie made me feel shit, man.  I am most particularly fond of Thor's storyline.  I really enjoyed his journey and his persistence to keep going on - actually becoming more determined - despite losing almost everyone he cares about (Sif is the only character that we haven't seen die on screen).  Chris Hemsworth is also fucking money and plays the part perfectly.  And for this reason I can easily overlook any nitpicks in storytelling.

Valkyrie is still alive. But I agree the Thor/Rocket stuff was great, heck the Thor/Starlord 'are you mocking me' stuff is funny every time. 

I thought what might have been the most impressive thing about Infinity War is how it definitively answered the question of whether or not you can make a movie saturated with stars really work.

On one hand, the original Avengers did, but in hindsight the cast is downright quaint compared to what we have now and it had the power of being something new on it's side. I felt that Age of Ultron and Civil War, while not bad movies, both suffered from scattered stories due to trying to give too many stars screen time.

Infinity War, with it's great three(or four, depending on how you slice it) pronged approach showed that with a good enough villian, pacing, and careful placement can give all these big characters enough onscreen time to make it work. Not just as ticking off a box as "We got everyone in this film" like Spidey in Civil War, but as a coherent, well done story where everyone played a part.

1 hour ago, cusideabelincoln said:

I wonder how many people watching it didn't realize it's part 1 of a 2-part movie and got left wondering why the hell the movie ended the way it did. I know I was surprised the movie was ending and I knew that, so it made me think that they probably should have kept "part 1" in the title just to make it obvious for those who didn't know it's half of the story.

33 minutes ago, Jason said:

I wonder how many people watching it didn't realize it's part 1 of a 2-part movie and got left wondering why the hell the movie ended the way it did. I know I was surprised the movie was ending and I knew that, so it made me think that they probably should have kept "part 1" in the title just to make it obvious for those who didn't know it's half of the story.

I think any confusion or mixed feelings about the ending are actually a positive.

One of the critiques about the Avengers is how tricky it is to pit them against a villian who isn't a pushover for so many heroes.

Having the movie end with the villian winning, with his infamous snap was brilliant. Made all the more so by Thor's large arc that really gave the impression it was leading up to the Thor striking the winning blow.

32 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

I think any confusion or mixed feelings about the ending are actually a positive.

One of the critiques about the Avengers is how tricky it is to pit them against a villian who isn't a pushover for so many heroes.

Having the movie end with the villian winning, with his infamous snap was brilliant. Made all the more so by Thor's large arc that really gave the impression it was leading up to the Thor striking the winning blow.

I meant that mechanically it felt like the movie was just stopping instead of actually ending, which would have made more send if they'd labeled it as a two-parter. Not labeling it that way, I'm sure people were left wondering why the movie was just stopping. 

34 minutes ago, Jason said:

I meant that mechanically it felt like the movie was just stopping instead of actually ending, which would have made more send if they'd labeled it as a two-parter. Not labeling it that way, I'm sure people were left wondering why the movie was just stopping. 

I'm going have to guess that for the majority of people going to see the movie, IW wasn't their first introduction to the Marvel movies. 

57 minutes ago, EternallDarkness said:

I'm going have to guess that for the majority of people going to see the movie, IW wasn't their first introduction to the Marvel movies. 

But that doesn't mean that you keep up with things like the decision to go from IW 1&2 to IW and [whatever name they choose for the second part].

8 minutes ago, Jason said:

But that doesn't mean that you keep up with things like the decision to go from IW 1&2 to IW and [whatever name they choose for the second part].

Pretty sure you didn't need to be a brain surgeon to realize the story would continue with the next movie. :) I mean I know the education system ain't wait it used to be, but seriously? 

47 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

People don't understand what cliffhangers are now? The Empire Strikes Back wasn't subtitled "Star Wars part 2" :p

Episode IV has a coherent ending that would have allowed it to work as a standalone movie had Episode V not gotten made. Infinity Wars doesn't, it doesn't seem like it's setting up a cliffhanger so much as it seems to just stop.

38 minutes ago, Jason said:

Episode IV has a coherent ending that would have allowed it to work as a standalone movie had Episode V not gotten made. Infinity Wars doesn't, it doesn't seem like it's setting up a cliffhanger so much as it seems to just stop.

I lean this way. IW isn’t a cliffhanger ending, there is no further threat...the bad guy won and is now off relaxing somewhere and the movie just stops.

20 hours ago, Jason said:

Yeah but that's a semantics issue more than anything. 

Saying that the movie "stops" instead of ending misses a key point... The Avengers, Guardians, Dr. Strange, Spider man, The Black Panther... NONE of these guys were the protagonists in this movie. THANOS was. He just happened to be the bad guy. The film ended with him accomplishing what he set out to do in the beginning of it. If he were a "good guy" no one would have bat an eyelash (I don't think many people did anyway, as anyone with a third of a brain knows there are more films coming out) But yeah, If you think about the film as Thanos being the main character (as Feige and the Russos said he was well before the film came out) this... critique falls apart even more than it already does. Why do you guys think the film ended with the title on black "Thanos will return again"? They've never done that before for a non-main character. 

• Thanks 1

It's a cliffhanger, because of two things:

1. "Sorry Tony, this was the only way" (Strange points out this is a path where the heroes will win)

1. Nick Fury's old school pager (Help is on the way)

The chapter has concluded, but the story is continuing.

1 hour ago, Wild said:

1. "Sorry Tony, this was the only way" (Strange points out this is a path where the heroes will win)

you numbered bother your points as #1 :p 

as for Nick and pager, the only issue with that is it leaves you wondering why the #$%@ he didn't use that thing during the first Avenger film. I know they are shoehorning the tie in but still...

12 hours ago, EternallDarkness said:

you numbered bother your points as #1 :p 

as for Nick and pager, the only issue with that is it leaves you wondering why the #$%@ he didn't use that thing during the first Avenger film. I know they are shoehorning the tie in but still...

They're both equal in my heart? :thinking:

And I just figure Nick isn't unaware of what the Avengers are doing, so when he sees the snap happening he knows they need every possible hero he can find. I'm also betting we'll find out there was some sort of special agreement made for why she has been gone.

1 hour ago, Wild said:

They're both equal in my heart? :thinking:

And I just figure Nick isn't unaware of what the Avengers are doing, so when he sees the snap happening he knows they need every possible hero he can find. I'm also betting we'll find out there was some sort of special agreement made for why she has been gone.

I just mean Nick was so worried when Loki and the Chitauri attacked in the first Avengers you'd have thought if he had a hotline to Cap. Marvel he'd have used it then. But like I said, I understand they're just trying to shoehorn in the tie-tie to the next movie, but I am sure it's a question that a lot of people will be thinking. 

17 hours ago, Wild said:

But most Marvel movies do that - I agree it's not great storytelling but it's not unique to Infinity War. Anyone going into these movies must assume that the movie will end with some cliffhangers. This may have ended more open-ended than most MCU movies, but it's hardly surprising.