Plant-based meat not nutritionally the same as real meat: study

1 hour ago, johnny said:

non vegans also act like they have to eat plant based meat all the time. YOU DONT!! 

I prefer to not eat meat alternatives most of the time. I like beyond brats and there's one other brand that works amazing in potstickers, but in general I just prefer wholly vegan substitutes. Like I'd rather eat fried cauliflower than vegan wings 10 times out of 10

12 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

I prefer to not eat meat alternatives most of the time. I like beyond brats and there's one other brand that works amazing in potstickers, but in general I just prefer wholly vegan substitutes. Like I'd rather eat fried cauliflower than vegan wings 10 times out of 10

Field Roast makes the best vegan sausages. Even I think their smoked apple and sage sausages are pretty damn good. They also have these mushroom deli slices that are so good.

7 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

"Meat substitutes" are more expensive, don't taste as good, are highly processed, and aren't any healthier.  I'll stick with meat.

Again, they are slightly healthier and far better for the environment. But if you don’t like them and don’t want to eat them, nobody is forcing you to.

19 minutes ago, Joe said:

Again, they are slightly healthier and far better for the environment. But if you don’t like them and don’t want to eat them, nobody is forcing you to.

Not really.  If you are focused on calories lean ground beef and ground chicken are better alternatives (lower fat and calories) -- with far less sodium, and isn't highly processed.

A 4oz beef patty every couple of weeks does not have a significant environmental impact. 

1 minute ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Beyond Meat is typically C$12 / pound near me.

Lean ground beef is regularly on sale for C$3 / pound.

There are other changes I can make to my life that have a larger environmental impact than eating a highly processed bad burger -- that has dubious environmental benefits.

Easting less meat is unquestionably one of the easiest ways to reduce individual environmental impact.

1 minute ago, Kal-El814 said:

Easting less meat is unquestionably one of the easiest ways to reduce individual environmental impact.

1 burger is the equivalent of 3.5 miles of driving.  I switched jobs so I now work at home permanently, reducing 40 miles per day of commuting.

The largest impact you can make to your environmental impact (without working for an org like the NRDC) is to advocate and vote for representatives who support "traditional" environmental protections (nitrogen runoff and airborne particulate emissions as two examples) and massive reductions in carbon emissions, particularly in western countries)

Systemic problems require systemic solutions.

13 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

The largest impact you can make to your environmental impact (without working for an org like the NRDC) is to advocate and vote for representatives who support "traditional" environmental protections (nitrogen runoff and airborne particulate emissions as two examples) and massive reductions in carbon emissions.

Systemic problems require systemic solutions.

No. My vote has no impact on my local representatives.

My personal decisions (such as opting for a high efficiency tankless water heater, adding extra insulation to my house, replacing my windows with triple paned windows, setting the temperature in my house to be high in the summer, and low in the winter, reducing the family vehicles from 2 to 1, picking a job with no daily commute, travelling by train instead of by plane, etc.)  have a demonstrable reduction on my personal/family carbon footprint -- and for the most part SAVE my family money.

2 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Not really.  If you are focused on calories lean ground beef and ground chicken are better alternatives (lower fat and calories) -- with far less sodium, and isn't highly processed.

A 4oz beef patty every couple of weeks does not have a significant environmental impact. 

Who is having one 4 oz patty every couple of weeks? Ground beef has far less sodium if you aren’t seasoning your patties and if you aren’t, wtf is the point? Beyond burger has slightly less fat and saturated fat and far less cholesterol. I’m not ready to give up my ground beef patties by any stretch of the imagination, but I like having both in my rotation now.

12 minutes ago, Joe said:

Who is having one 4 oz patty every couple of weeks? Ground beef has far less sodium if you aren’t seasoning your patties and if you aren’t, wtf is the point? Beyond burger has slightly less fat and saturated fat and far less cholesterol. I’m not ready to give up my ground beef patties by any stretch of the imagination, but I like having both in my rotation now.

Look At Me Reaction GIF by WWE

I'm seasoning my meat -- I'm not putting a full tsp of salt in seasoning one patty (which a Beyond Meat burger has).

A beyond meat burger has ~390mg of salt -- I'm probably putting a quarter of that on when I make a burger.  There is no substantial difference in saturated fat or fat between a fake meat burger and a lean beef burger.  It does have more cholesterol though.

1 hour ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I'm seasoning my meat -- I'm not putting a full tsp of salt in seasoning one patty (which a Beyond Meat burger has).

A beyond meat burger has ~390mg of salt -- I'm probably putting a quarter of that on when I make a burger.  There is no substantial difference in saturated fat or fat between a fake meat burger and a lean beef burger.  It does have more cholesterol though.

What’s a lean burger? If you’re having anything over 85% lean, you can keep that flavorless hockey puck fam :p

4 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

85% lean.  I prefer 75% -- but my heart doesn't.

I typically do 80/20. 85/15 is bordering on the drier side for me, but I like to buy grass-fed sometimes and 85/15 is usually the only option. 

Aldi randomly has 73/27, but I think that’s just a plot by the Germans to kill Americans tbh.

Just now, Joe said:

I typically do 80/20. 85/15 is bordering on the drier side for me, but I like to buy grass-fed sometimes and 85/15 is usually the only option. 

Aldi randomly has 73/27, but I think that’s just a plot by the Germans to kill Americans tbh.

I prefer grass fed for steaks -- haven't tried it for burgers.  When I really wanted a good burger, I used to grind my own meat, but my wife gave away my meat grinder to a friend -- so I haven't been able to do that recently. 

3 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

390mg of sodium is less than 1/5th of a teaspoon of salt. If you’re putting less than 1/5th a teaspoon of salt on a burger patty you aren’t seasoning it.  If you’re putting 1/20th of a teaspoon of salt on your burger you’re just whispering the word salt in its general direction.  

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, LazyPiranha said:

390mg of sodium is less than 1/5th of a teaspoon of salt. If you’re putting less than 1/5th a teaspoon of salt on a burger patty you aren’t seasoning it.  If you’re putting 1/20th of a teaspoon of salt on your burger you’re just whispering the word salt in its general direction.  

:shrug:

I was looking at data from Harvard

Calories Fat (g) Sat fat (g) Chol (mg) Sodium (mg) Carb (g) Fiber (g) Protein (g)
Impossible Burger (4 oz) 240 14 8 0 370 9 3 19
Beyond Burger (4 oz) 250 18 6 0 390 3 2 20
85% lean ground beef (4 oz) 240 17 6 80 80 0 0 21
Ground turkey (4 oz) 170 9 2 80 70 0 0 22
Black bean burger (Sunshine brand) (2.7 oz) 260 16 1.5 0 190 19 8 10

3 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Season 9 Yes GIF by Friends

So you use less salty cheese when you make a beyond burger than when you use a beef burger...

I buy Boar’s Head and a slice has 350mg of sodium. Where is that extra sodium coming from on the quarter pounder?

4 minutes ago, Joe said:

I buy Boar’s Head and a slice has 350mg of sodium. Where is that extra sodium coming from on the quarter pounder?

3 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Yeah, a single spice of American cheese has like 450mg of salt and everyone knows American cheese is the correct cheese for burgers.

My American cheese has 290g per slice.  I would use it on whatever burger I have...

According to the Canadian website:

1)  patty -- 60mg

2) Bun - 260 mg

3) Cheese -- 360 mg

4) Ketchup -- 150mg

5) Pickles -- 85 mg

6) Mustard -- 5 mg

7) Grill Seasoning -- 120 mg

4 minutes ago, Joe said:

At the end of the day, either AS badly seasons his burgers or he doesn’t realize how much sodium he is adding. I am going to give him the benefit of the doubt and say it’s the latter.

I'm just saying I don't add more than McDonald's.

And for what it's worth -- an Impossible Whopper (1558 mg)  has ~950mg more sodium than a regular Whopper (690 mg).