Plant-based meat not nutritionally the same as real meat: study

The study, however, found that several metabolites proven to be vital to human health were found either exclusively or in greater amounts of beef, including creatine, spermine, anserine, cysteamine, glucosamine, squalene and the omega-3 fatty acid DHA, researchers said. 

“These nutrients are important for our brain and other organs including our muscles,” Stephan van Vliet, a postdoctoral researcher at the Duke Molecular Physiology said in a statement. “But some people on vegan diets (no animal products), can live healthy lives – that’s very clear.”

Van Vilet further explained: “To consumers reading nutritional labels, they may appear nutritionally interchangeable,” adding: “But if you peek behind the curtain using metabolomics and look at expanded nutritional profiles, we found that there are large differences between meat and a plant-based meat alternative.”

Consumers should know real meat and alternative meat products are not “nutritionally interchangeable,” Van Vilet noted. 

“But that’s not to say that one is better than the other,” van Vliet said in the study, adding: “Plant and animal foods can be complementary because they provide different nutrients.”

No shit. 

13 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Plant-based meat has two advantages:

• Less environmentally intensive
  • Morally more palatable to some

It's a wash in almost any other area.

And that's where my wife stands and why she's vegan. However, she also knows pretty damn well that an Impossible Whopper is just as unhealthy as a regular Whopper and that the fake chicken nuggets she had for lunch don't have an the same nutrients as real chicken, even if packaging is plastered with having the same amount of protein.

I know plenty of people that actually gained weight after going vegan. There's sort of an automatic assumption that vegan food is healthier, so they just go to town on whatever.

Oreos are vegan. Beyond/impossible meat are not healthy. But as long as you understand that, you can have a normal diet.

1 hour ago, Ghost_MH said:

No shit, but you'd also be amazed by the number of people that think the Impossible Whopper is somehow a healthy alternative to a regular beef Whopper.

The study here doesn't make a judgment either way.

The beef contained 22 metabolites that the plant substitute did not. The plant-based substitute contained 31 metabolites that meat did not.

"It is important for consumers to understand that these products should not be viewed as nutritionally interchangeable, but that's not to say that one is better than the other," said van Vliet, a self-described omnivore who enjoys a plant-heavy diet but also eats meat. "Plant and animal foods can be complementary, because they provide different nutrients."

He said more research is needed to determine whether there are short-term or long-term effects of the presence or absence of particular metabolites in meat and plant-based meat alternatives.

I don't know if someone has already studied it, but my guess would be that some meat alternatives are healthier than the real meat would be and some are very likely not.  There are huge differences between how all these meat alternatives are made and what they're made of.

Of course, what this study says is basically that "healthier" is a difficult thing to quantify and in the aggregate we really don't know right now.

2 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

I know plenty of people that actually gained weight after going vegan. There's sort of an automatic assumption that vegan food is healthier, so they just go to town on whatever.

Oreos are vegan. Beyond/impossible meat are not healthy. But as long as you understand that, you can have a normal diet.

vegan diets tend to be carb heavy 

Just now, TwinIon said:

The study here doesn't make a judgment either way.

I don't know if someone has already studied it, but my guess would be that some meat alternatives are healthier than the real meat would be and some are very likely not.  There are huge differences between how all these meat alternatives are made and what they're made of.

Of course, what this study says is basically that "healthier" is a difficult thing to quantify and in the aggregate we really don't know right now.

The biggest issue is really the salt content.  Some are better in this regard to others.  I buy vegan sausages sometimes that aren't too insane in the amount of salt added to it.  You just really have to do your homework and find a grocery store in general that has a good selection.

1 minute ago, vaxick said:

The biggest issue is really the salt content.  Some are better in this regard to others.  I buy vegan sausages sometimes that aren't too insane in the amount of salt added to it.  You just really have to do your homework and find a grocery store in general that has a good selection.

I actually prefer vegan sausages at this point. Regular sausages put my stomach and toilet through too much turmoil.

1 minute ago, Fizzzzle said:

I actually prefer vegan sausages at this point. Regular sausages put my stomach and toilet through too much turmoil.

I bought them by mistake once looking for apple sausage and was very surprised by the flavor.  They're great and some of them taste every bit as good as the real deal.  I like using them when making pasta dishes.

Just for the hell of it

Burger King Whopper w/o Cheese
Nutrition Facts
Updated: 8/19/2020
Serving Size    1 burger
Calories    657
Calories From Fat    360
Amount Per Serving    % Daily Value*
Total Fat    40g    62%
Saturated Fat    11.7g    59%
Trans Fat    0g     
Cholesterol    92mg    31%
Sodium    983mg    41%
Total Carbohydrates    49g    16%
Dietary Fiber    2g    8%
Sugars    11g     
Protein    28g    56%
Vitamin A         ?
Vitamin C         ?
Calcium         ?
Iron     

Burger King Impossible Whopper
Nutrition Facts
Serving Size    1 burger
Calories    629
Calories From Fat    306
Total Fat    34g    52%
Saturated Fat    11g    55%
Trans Fat    0g     
Cholesterol    11mg    4%
Sodium    1078mg    45%
Total Carbohydrates    58g    19%
Dietary Fiber    4g    16%
Sugars    12g     
Protein    25g    50%
Vitamin A         ?
Vitamin C         ?
Calcium         ?
Iron     

Holy Christ the amount of sugar in each in one, are the buns actual slices of cake ?

3 minutes ago, vaxick said:

I bought them by mistake once looking for apple sausage and was very surprised by the flavor.  They're great and some of them taste every bit as good as the real deal.  I like using them when making pasta dishes.

Get some beyond brats if you are doing a cook out. They're awesome

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

vegan diets tend to be carb heavy 

Seitan is literally nothing but lumps of carby gluten. It's also the most popular chicken alternative. I've also made some really great seitan brisket.

It's like eating a ton of bread gobbed in barbeque sauce, but actually good. I don't care what anyone says, it's expensive.

1 minute ago, SimpleG said:

Just for the hell of it

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size    1 burger
Calories    657
Calories From Fat    360
Total Fat    40g    62%
Trans Fat    0g     
Sodium    983mg    41%
Sugars    11g     
Protein    28g    56%
Vitamin A         ?
Vitamin C         ?
Calcium         ?
Iron     

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size    1 burger
Calories    629
Calories From Fat    306
Total Fat    34g    52%
Trans Fat    0g     
Sodium    1078mg    45%
Sugars    12g     
Protein    25g    50%
Vitamin A         ?
Vitamin C         ?
Calcium         ?
Iron     

Holy Christ the amount of sugar in each in one, are the buns actual slices of cake ?

Yes.

4 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

I practice high fat/low carb so my meat intake is quite high.  I'm excited for the possibility of lab grown meat in in the future, but until then I'll pass on the plant based "meat" and stick with the real stuff. 

Plant based meats are fine. I say this as a meat eater married to a vegan. It's not more or less healthy than real meat. It's just contains different nutrients, which should be obvious when one is meat and the other is some combination of plant protein and beets.

2 hours ago, SimpleG said:

Just for the hell of it

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size    1 burger
Calories    657
Calories From Fat    360
Total Fat    40g    62%
Trans Fat    0g     
Sodium    983mg    41%
Sugars    11g     
Protein    28g    56%
Vitamin A         ?
Vitamin C         ?
Calcium         ?
Iron     

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size    1 burger
Calories    629
Calories From Fat    306
Total Fat    34g    52%
Trans Fat    0g     
Sodium    1078mg    45%
Sugars    12g     
Protein    25g    50%
Vitamin A         ?
Vitamin C         ?
Calcium         ?
Iron     

The Impossible one is slightly healthier! Though I didn’t expect it to have more sodium.

13 minutes ago, Joe said:

The Impossible one is slightly healthier! Though I didn’t expect it to have more sodium.

I will say that fake beef is a pretty good alternative for those looking to reduce their intake of cholesterol but still want a burger.

1 hour ago, Ghost_MH said:

Plant based meats are fine. I say this as a meat eater married to a vegan. It's not more or less healthy than real meat. It's just contains different nutrients, which should be obvious when one is meat and the other is some combination of plant protein and beets.

Plenty of them, if you try them without being told what you're eating, you'd never actually know.  They're a solid replacement for red meat when you have the craving for it.  The only meat I eat consistently is chicken since I'm a runner and it's a good, cheap, and healthy source of protein for me.

Just now, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I have a GREAT chicken recipe to share with you!

Do tell!  I'm always on the lookout for new chicken recipes to make that meat more flavorful.  I just fixed my grill too so I'm very anxious to fire it up again.

1 hour ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Have you experienced the culinary delight of boiled chicken?

I have not ever admittedly ever cooked chicken that way.  The closest I've come is using an Instapot which has been hit or miss when it comes to the chicken recipes I've used online.  

5 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

This is the Seventh-day Adventist way of vegetarianism. They believe in "treating your body like a temple" so you shouldn't eat meat. Guess what you get at church potlucks? A fuckton of meatless lasagna loaded with cheese and trays upon trays of brownies. Meat is bad for you! Cheese? That's just Jesus's way of showing his love.

2 minutes ago, thewhyteboar said:

This is the Seventh-day Adventist way of vegetarianism. They believe in "treating your body like a temple" so you shouldn't eat meat. Guess what you get at church potlucks? A fuckton of meatless lasagna loaded with cheese and trays upon trays of brownies. Meat is bad for you! Cheese? That's just Jesus's way of showing his love.

In all fairness, humans pretty much suck so it's pretty easy to see how cheese must be divinely inspired.

3 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I have a GREAT chicken recipe to share with you!

3 hours ago, vaxick said:

Do tell!  I'm always on the lookout for new chicken recipes to make that meat more flavorful.  I just fixed my grill too so I'm very anxious to fire it up again.

3 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Have you experienced the culinary delight of boiled chicken?

Here We Go Again GIF