Update: Succession renewed for fourth season

• 2 months later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Succession: Season 3 (17 October 2021) - Official Trailer
  • 3 weeks later...

Got some reviews coming in:

Succession.jpg?w=1024
VARIETY.COM

Kendall and Logan go to war in 'Succession' Season 3, which is stronger than ever.

Despite the motivations of Siobhan, Roman and Kendall, respectively, what matters here is not good works, material gratification or love (synthetic or real).  The true elite still live for the simple thrill of killing. And much of the way through a glimmeringly brutal season, the greatest challenge “Succession” has posed for itself is, once again, pulling insight and enjoyment out of staring into the heart of darkness.

Succession-Season-3-Brian-Cox-Beast-Mode
WWW.INDIEWIRE.COM

"Succession" puts the screws on the Roy family in an unrelentingly tense Season 3 that's still unbelievably fun. [NO SPOILERS]

The good news is “Succession” remains the same show it was two years ago. The great news is it made the most of that time away to amplify all its strengths. Really, the best advice I can give is to get ready. Season 3 has gone full fucking beast.

Grade: A

22c92fdff9bc439f183813f99c8e99491b-succe
WWW.VULTURE.COM

Season three means all-out war in the Roy family. What a treat.

But as frothy and funny as Tom, Greg, or any of the others can be, they do not necessarily invite our sympathy. On Succession, that’s neither bug nor feature. It’s just a fact. There’s a common misconception about television, or just storytelling in general, that characters are supposed to be likable. None of the figures in Succession can be described as likable, and I can’t say I’m “rooting” for any of them. But I am fascinated and amused by them, and in season three, especially, I can’t wait to see what they’re going to do next. Rich people, or at least these particular rich people — turns out they’re nothing like us. That’s precisely what makes me want to keep watching.

p09y3jpb.jpg
WWW.BBC.COM

The scheming Roy family is back, and season three is "as piercing and caustically witty as ever". Caryn James reviews the "provocative, thoughtful" new series.

There is more beneath the surface, though, adding another reason the instalments hold up to repeated viewings so well. Succession is an exploration of a rapidly-changing world. Logan's legacy technology of cable television, including his powerful Fox News-like channel, is competing with his children's new tech plans for apps and streaming content. The Roys, sometimes subtly and at times pointedly, embody a global economy running away from them. Trying to persuade his siblings to betray their father and embrace his vision for the future, Kendall says, "We're at the end of a long American century. Our company is a declining empire inside a declining empire." That may not express his deepest motives, but it captures the provocative, thoughtful underpinning of Succession.

Oh - this article is SUPERB! :lol:

SuccessionLanguage_HBO_Getty_Ringer.jpeg
WWW.THERINGER.COM

Humiliation and hazing are constants in the world of the Roys. Language-wise, this means verbal inventiveness (often vulgar and hilarious) is both a source of power for the characters and a way for them to reveal their weaknesses.

More glowing reviews for Season 3:

Succession-Brian-Cox-Publicity-H-2021.jp
WWW.HOLLYWOODREPORTER.COM

As the hit series returns, will Logan Roy, his scheming children and his sometimes loyal consiglieres be as vicious, hilarious and tapped into the zeitgeist as when we saw them last, in 2019?

That, of course, includes the cycles of abuse and neglect that the Roy family can’t seem to escape. It’s been clear from the earliest episode that these are people who’ve never healed from the scars of their upbringing, and by virtue of the family’s wealth and status, their damage has a way of breaking everything and everyone around them in turn. Season three makes that characterization more explicit than ever in my favorite episode of the season, centered on the tackiest birthday party of all time. God, it looks miserable — and God, am I glad to be back, raising a glass once again to the best worst family on TV right now.

brian-cox-sarah-snookc.jpg?w=1024
WWW.ROLLINGSTONE.COM

The Roy family is back — and divided — in a season that's bigger, badder, and bloodthirstier than ever. Read Alan Sepinwall's review

Because Succession was very much a commentary on the Trump era, there was a chance its belated return could feel out of sync with the times, in the same way that Veep somehow seemed less ridiculous when its last few seasons aired after the 2016 election. But between the pandemic (which is not occurring in the show’s parallel reality), climate change, the rise of totalitarian governments, and a half-dozen other crises, it’s not as if the Roys are coming back to a world of rainbows and lollipops. Their show remains a key fictional text explaining how we got into these various messes, but also a marvelous occasional reward for all of us stuck living through them.

succession-1.jpg
WWW.THEWRAP.COM

COVID delayed the return of HBO's "Succession" for two years, but the new season is worth the wait as the Roy siblings make and break alliances

But isn’t that what life is all about, after all: finding new ways to amuse and comfort yourself at the expense of those closest to you? It continues to be in the Roy family, anyway, and this new season of “Succession” is so much the tragic, sure, but also the better and funnier for it.

image?q=85&c=sc&poi=%5B420%2C66%5D&w=200
EW.COM

After a two-year break, HBO's Emmy-winning drama 'Succession' returns with a kinetic and affecting third season featuring a Roy versus Roy showdown. Read our review.

It's a season of stellar performances. Macfadyen plumbs new depths of aristocratic melancholy as Tom faces the possibility of prison time for helping to cover up Waystar RoyCo's crimes. Ruck gets a welcome increase in screen time this season; Connor is the one Roy child willing to push back on Logan, and the show can only benefit from exploring that dynamic even further. As for dear old dad himself, Cox remains a focus-pulling force of nature, even as Logan finds himself facing the headwinds of a possible takeover. The sublime range of his performance in episode 5 — in which the Waystar RoyCo shareholders' meeting devolves into a masterpiece of corporate farce — is enough to make me forgive him for those ill-conceived McDonald's ads.

In that same episode, Greg gets a stern warning from his grandfather Ewan Roy (James Cromwell, wonderfully imperious). "You are putting yourself in the service of a monstrous endeavor," he booms. "You need to take yourself seriously, kid."

Ewan's message is clear: It's time to decide what you stand for rather than running for shelter under the nearest money tree. The good news is, no one on Succession seems ready to take his advice. B+

succession-season-3-cast.jpg
COLLIDER.COM

The Emmy-winning drama returns on October 17.

That's why we enjoy watching this choreographed dance starring the Roys, but what takes Succession to the next level is how it shows us the hollow places inside these people, where their hearts might have once been able to flourish. Honesty, what makes these characters so scary and also sometimes heartbreaking is the traces of humanity that do linger, especially as centered around the character of Kendall: As much bluster as Kendall likes to spit out to the world, Strong's performance ensures that we never lose sight of the broken little boy within.

While there have been some much-heralded guest stars announced for Season 3, including Alexander Skarsgård, Adrian Brody, and Hope Davis, Succession is very savvy about the way they're incorporated into the action — because Armstrong does an elegant job of making sure that the series never loses focus on its core narrative, as captured by the show's opening sequence. There have been some small changes made to the credits between Season 2 and 3, but the imagery remains consistent: four children, gazing at a father who's walking away, who never looks back.

E9QA7VTVUAInjeE.jpeg?w=1024
DEADLINE.COM

Logan Roy and his rotten cabal will be back for more drama after HBO renewed Succession for a fourth season. The network has picked up the Jesse Armstrong-created show for a fourth run only two epi…

Logan Roy and his rotten cabal will be back for more drama after HBO renewed Succession for a fourth season.

The network has picked up the Jesse Armstrong-created show for a fourth run only two episodes into its third season.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Update: Succession renewed for fourth season

I’ve finally started watching this show. I’m only a few episodes into the first season, and it’s obviously very well made, but I can’t handle Cousin Greg. Every time he pops up, I’m reaching for the +15 seconds button. Sometimes feel like a large sack of Awkward just bumbling around, but this motherfucker puts me to shame.

• Guillotine 2

2 hours ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Greg is the hero of this family learn to love him

He started to turn around for me almost immediately after I posted that. I just finished season 1. Now that he can have a conversation without staring at the floor and muttering nonsense, I like him a lot more. 

Finally started watching this show over the weekend after several recommendations from friends and binged the first season. Just started the second. It's solid and well acted and well written but these are some of the most unlikable characters I've seen on TV. There is not one character I can relate to or root for and it takes away from my engagement in the show. Like I've found a bunch of racist mobsters and family-fucking barbarians that rode dragons to be more relatable than these cartoonishly vile people. I'll continue to watch but this show really isn't for me I think :shrug:

2 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Finally started watching this show over the weekend after several recommendations from friends and binged the first season. Just started the second. It's solid and well acted and well written but these are some of the most unlikable characters I've seen on TV. There is not one character I can relate to or root for and it takes away from my engagement in the show. Like I've found a bunch of racist mobsters and family fucking barbarians that rode dragons to be more relatable than these cartoonishly vile people. I'll continue to watch but this show really isn't for me I think :shrug:

And that's EXACTLY why I like it!  I can easily wish the absolute worst to happen to each and every one of these characters and feel damned good about it!

7 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

And that's EXACTLY why I like it!  I can easily wish the absolute worst to happen to each and every one of these characters and feel damned good about it!

Except on a show like this, none of these people will meet a graphically violent and horrifying death which is always a possibility on the other two shows I mentioned... also on HBO :thinking:

1 minute ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Except on a show like this, none of these people will meet a graphically violent and horrifying death which is always a possibility on the other two shows I mentioned... also on HBO :thinking:

For people of this sort, their comeuppance can be even more terrifying for them than graphically horrifying death: humiliation.

1 hour ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Exactly... I'm rooting for the looming spectre of the unseen no-faced DOJ to crush all of these people and their dreams and hopes.

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Finally started watching this show over the weekend after several recommendations from friends and binged the first season. Just started the second. It's solid and well acted and well written but these are some of the most unlikable characters I've seen on TV. There is not one character I can relate to or root for and it takes away from my engagement in the show. Like I've found a bunch of racist mobsters and family-fucking barbarians that rode dragons to be more relatable than these cartoonishly vile people. I'll continue to watch but this show really isn't for me I think :shrug:

that's the way I feel about Seinfeld. 

22 minutes ago, Iculus said:

that's the way I feel about Seinfeld. 

Funny that you should mention Seinfield...

211108_r39312.jpg?mbid=social_retweet
WWW.NEWYORKER.COM

The HBO series, now in its third season, feels almost Seinfeldian in its efforts to capture a group of eccentric, petty characters as they try, again and again, to one-up one another.

With its sweeping canvas and cinematic feel, the series has all the trappings of an HBO drama, and it is often compared to “The Sopranos,” another show that documented seasons-long power struggles. The more apt comparison, however, might be a sitcom. There are times when the series feels almost Seinfeldian in its cyclical efforts to capture a group of eccentric, petty characters as they try, again and again, to one-up one another.