TIE Fighter: Total Conversion Mod - Full Release Trailer

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to TIE Fighter: Total Conversion Mod - Full Release Trailer

@CayceGsummed it up perfectly. THIS is what we, as Star Wars & space sim fans wanted, needed, and were let down by the fact that Squadrons was NOT THIS! Bravo to those that put in so much time, work, and most importantly, all the love dedicated to crafting this mod. Truly spectacular work to be sure, bravo! 

16 hours ago, CayceG said:

This is what Squadrons should have been. 

And this is what I've always wanted the original TIE Fighter game to be. This looks absolutely spectacular. 

38 minutes ago, SoberChef said:

@CayceGsummed it up perfectly. THIS is what we, as Star Wars & space sim fans wanted, needed, and were let down by the fact that Squadrons was NOT THIS! Bravo to those that put in so much time, work, and most importantly, all the love dedicated to crafting this mod. Truly spectacular work to be sure, bravo! 

I haven't played Squadrons, but initial impressions seemed to be pretty good. What was missing? 

6 hours ago, Brick said:

I haven't played Squadrons, but initial impressions seemed to be pretty good. What was missing? 

@Brick

Squadrons was overall fine. 

The story mode was pretty thin and quite obviously a tutorial for when you'd get into online matches. That's okay, I guess, but that's one place where the original X-Wing Alliance and TIE Fighter games shined: their story missions were all they had. And they were rich in gameplay and replayability. The only time I've replayed any of Squadrons' missions was to re-learn how to boost. 

Which brings me to the next problem with Squadrons: Online mode. 

This is just from my perspective as a very casual gamer that doesn't hardly get online. But when I do, I just want to pick up a game and be able to have fun with a minimal learning curve. Squadrons' online mode is not what I want to play mainly because of gameplay exploits. Boosting in your starfighter is one thing. But there are bugs in the design of the game that can't easily be corrected that allow boosting to be used much more frequently and much longer than I think they intended. You can also maneuver during boosts, so this turns into things like drifting, boost gliding, and other things that are just silly. Not only is it not what was in the original TIE Fighter, it's not something I expected. But most of all, I hate that it's an exploit that is essential to next level play in online matches. 

All the 'pros' that play the game got good at boosting. Boosting and the associated maneuvers make it to where I do not want to invest the time in learning an exploit that I don't want anything to do with anyway. And there's no point in playing 'straight' without using it. You just won't do well. 

The balance of the starfighters is also reasonably in line with one another. But the studio isn't doing any more updates. So it won't really change going forward. 

For a $40 game, it's fine. It's nostalgic. It's got good graphics. The missions are cool. And there's a mode where you can fight against AI. And that's fine for a half hour gaming session between the end of a workday and dinner. Unless you want to be a little more serious about getting into the exploits like boosting maneuvers and learning the intricacies of how to do that, I'd just get X-Wing Alliance with that TIE Fighter mod. 

They may have the same DNA, but Squadrons is a fundamentally different game from X-Wing Alliances and TIE Fighter. I think the days of expansive and well developed single player arcade flight sim games are behind us. Ace Combat is about the only series that scratches that itch for me anymore. And even it's lost a bit of that magic since the PS2 era. 

If anyone wants a Star Wars starfighter flight sim game, get X-Wing Alliances from Steam or GOG and download that TIE Fighter mod. That's probably going to be the pinnacle of this genre and will likely not be topped. 

I quite enjoyed the multiplayer from Squadrons for the 4-5 weeks I played it. It was flawed, and a little shallow - but held my interest for 20-30 hours. 

The single player was fine. It’s been 25 years since I played Tie Fighter - so I’m not sure if my memories are overly tainted by nostalgia at this point.