Jump to content

"Great Resignation" Update: a record 4.4 million workers said "Take this job and shove it!" in September


Recommended Posts

I wonder how many people got a financial windfall from the accelerated deaths of their parents/grandparents due to Covid? Could be some rather massive wealth transfers to would be workers that allows more freedom to turn down dead end jobs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I wonder how many people got a financial windfall from the accelerated deaths of their parents/grandparents due to Covid? Could be some rather massive wealth transfers to would be workers that allows more freedom to turn down dead end jobs.

haha I sorta wish this is the case for them

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I wonder how many people got a financial windfall from the accelerated deaths of their parents/grandparents due to Covid? Could be some rather massive wealth transfers to would be workers that allows more freedom to turn down dead end jobs.

GameStop and AMC saved the working class 

  • True 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I wonder how many people got a financial windfall from the accelerated deaths of their parents/grandparents due to Covid? Could be some rather massive wealth transfers to would be workers that allows more freedom to turn down dead end jobs.

Given the proportion of deaths that were from nursing home residents, and how we finance long term care in this country, it is highly doubtful much money has come from this to meaningfully contribute to people staying out of the workforce

 

As an anecdote the old folks who used to live across the street from me died of covid in Jan/Feb this year and their house still hasn't even been put on the market by their kids.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think for a lot of people COVID helped them see how shitty their companies and employers really were. For the longest time, people felt like they were in indentured service to wherever they worked, but when companies started to cut back and cut off staff, that staff began to realize how insignificant they were, and like most instances of having to find other sources of income to survive, they did, and now they don't need those oppressive companies any longer. Sure, there are a lot more factors involved, but I think that has a lot to do with it as well.

  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wisconsin says "Labor shortage? Pay people MORE MONEY?! Lol, no, we're just going to extend the working hours for 14-15 year olds, they don't need money."

 

ca_wisconsin_flag.png
THEHILL.COM

The proposed bill, SB-22, would allow the group to work between the hours of 6 a.m. and 9:30 p.m. on workdays before a school day and between 6 a.m. and 11 p.m. when there is no school the next day.

 

  • Guillotine 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I understand that raising minimum wage hurts small businesses more than large ones, but how 'bout... I don't know, partially subsidizing wages for companies with fewer than 75 people? It seems like that would be something that is easily doable.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

I understand that raising minimum wage hurts small businesses more than large ones, but how 'bout... I don't know, partially subsidizing wages for companies with fewer than 75 people? It seems like that would be something that is easily doable.

 

Amazon would promptly rearrange itself into a bajillion 74-person shell companies.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
211112093555-jobs-fair-economy-102121-fi
AMP.CNN.COM

A record 4.4 million Americans quit their jobs in September as the sheer volume of available jobs is empowering workers to have their pick.

 

Quote

 

A record 4.4 million Americans quit their jobs in September as the sheer volume of available jobs is empowering workers to have their pick.

 

Workers are quitting in search for better pay or better jobs, representing a fundamental shift in America's labor market.

 

"Labor now has the initiative, and the era of paying individuals less than a livable wage has ended," said Joseph Brusuelas, chief economist at RSM US. "This strongly suggests that rising wages are going to be part and parcel of the economic landscape going forward."

 

The nation had 10.4 million open jobs that month as the worker shortage crisis continues, data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics showed Friday. It was a modest decrease from the 10.6 million open jobs in August.

 

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to "Great Resignation" Update: a record 4.4 million workers said "Take this job and shove it!" in September
1 minute ago, Ghost_MH said:

My wife quit her job in October...and then started a new one two weeks later. Crazy what happens when your boss treats you like shit in a market where everyone is looking to hire.

I got a new job without even having to interview, they just gave it to me.

  • Shocked 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

 

Did you change industries or are you sticking with culinary?

Restaurants for now. I'm thinking of a career change, though. Probably healthcare in some capacity. I'm realizing I can't really do this shit anymore.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m looking for a career change, but I’ve only had this “career” for two years. I have no idea what I actually want to do or what would be a good fit, but I definitely don’t see myself moving up where I’m at now. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

I got a new job without even having to interview, they just gave it to me.

 

That's scarily close to my wife and she's a teacher. She had a ten minute call followed by a fifteen minutes in person. Her old school still has a job opening looking to replace her. She was working at the worst ranked school in the district thinking she'd make a difference...and she was making progress...until the administration kept fucking with her. In the course of a single month working there they changed her students' schedules like ten times. There were a couple of days where she couldn't even find her students and worthy the day looking for them. They also gas lit her. The principal there claimed she never changed anyone's schedule and then when presented with email evidence, doubled down and claimed it never happened. All because my wife bitched to her union rep about how disorganized everything is. Guess your school doesn't rank last in the district for no reason. She was like "fuck that, I'm out", grabbed her stuff and just left, then and there.

 

Some people are playing manager like there are too few jobs for too many people.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

My wife quit her job in October...and then started a new one two weeks later. Crazy what happens when your boss treats you like shit in a market where everyone is looking to hire.

 

I'd been not feeling my job for a while and a coworker who tries to be a team lead sent me a shitty email and copied the boss.  I applied to 3 places, 2 of them immediately wanted to interview and one made me an offer giving me $15k more than I made at the last place, so I left.  I feel like if you are at a certain point in your career right now you can scoop up a better job without much problem.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thought this was worth adding.  S&P 500 companies posted their highest profits since ‘08 in Q2 and Q3 2021.

 

I’m beginning to wonder whether we’re getting a peak into what it must have been like in the 1960s political economy.

 

-tight, supply-constrained  labor markets giving workers generationally high bargaining power

 

-significant inflation 

 

-high corporate profits 

 

-mass sociopolitical unrest and conflict 

 

Don’t get me wrong, there are obviously a ton of differences, but this also isn’t anything like the political economy the post-Reagan generation grew up in

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Signifyin(g)Monkey said:

Thought this was worth adding.  S&P 500 companies posted their highest profits since ‘08 in Q2 and Q3 2021.

 

I’m beginning to wonder whether we’re getting a peak into what it must have been like in the 1960s political economy.

 

-tight, supply-constrained  labor markets giving workers generationally high bargaining power

 

-significant inflation 

 

-high corporate profits 

 

-mass sociopolitical unrest and conflict 

 

Don’t get me wrong, there are obviously a ton of differences, but this also isn’t anything like the political economy the post-Reagan generation grew up in

 

Don't worry, we'll have a few more violent insurrections first. The day Trump dies of old age with a cheeseburger lodged in his throat is the day Q morons will seriously go ultra violent. It'll happen as soon as his gluttony gets turned into a deep state assassination. Trump will be the next JFK in their mythos.

 

Either way, not everyone is having trouble hiring people. Here's a local story...

 

market-basket-in-waltham-1586207797.jpg?
WWW.WCVB.COM

The New England supermarket chain held job fairs in more than 60 stores Friday as they staff up for the holidays and try to stay ahead of the widespread worker shortage.

 

They hired 30 people in a single day. How? Profit sharing for full time employees, bonuses for part timers, paid leaves for everyone. Does the pay suck? Yeah, but everyone also gets yearly raises, so it's not unusual to see someone that's been working there for a decade. Well, was. A lot of those people retired at the start of the pandemic, so it's mostly been young kids working in those the last few times I did some groceries. There's a reason why a bunch of their stores shut down when a huge chunk of their non-union staff went on strike after the board fired its CEO and was forced to rehire him like a month later. I'm pretty sure the dispute was over stopping the profit sharing with employees and cutting the board a nice fat check instead.

 

I still find it crazy that a comment like that works in this day and age, is profitable, and still manages to sell stuff cheaper than everyone else, even Walmart.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Either way, not everyone is having trouble hiring people. Here's a local story...

 

market-basket-in-waltham-1586207797.jpg?
WWW.WCVB.COM

The New England supermarket chain held job fairs in more than 60 stores Friday as they staff up for the holidays and try to stay ahead of the widespread worker shortage.

 

They hired 30 people in a single day. How? Profit sharing for full time employees, bonuses for part timers, paid leaves for everyone. Does the pay suck? Yeah, but everyone also gets yearly raises, so it's not unusual to see someone that's been working there for a decade. Well, was. A lot of those people retired at the start of the pandemic, so it's mostly been young kids working in those the last few times I did some groceries. There's a reason why a bunch of their stores shut down when a huge chunk of their non-union staff went on strike after the board fired its CEO and was forced to rehire him like a month later. I'm pretty sure the dispute was over stopping the profit sharing with employees and cutting the board a nice fat check instead.

 

I still find it crazy that a comment like that works in this day and age, is profitable, and still manages to sell stuff cheaper than everyone else, even Walmart.

 

Yeah, the Market Basket stuff is bananas.

 

And all of this shit... it's not hard. If you're a small business struggling that's one thing, but all of the big chains / retailers could solve their staffing issues immediately by... paying workers more. And almost all of them could afford to do it they just choose not to because it affects the extent to which they're profitable even if it has no meaningful impact on whether or not they ARE profitable.

 

Fuck offer a pension plan and even if 90+% of the employees will never work there long enough to take advantage of it, you'll hire people immediately.

 

The fact that there's any hand wringing over this or that it's portrayed as some kind of mystery is peak willful ignorance.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Yeah, the Market Basket stuff is bananas.

 

And all of this shit... it's not hard. If you're a small business struggling that's one thing, but all of the big chains / retailers could solve their staffing issues immediately by... paying workers more. And almost all of them could afford to do it they just choose not to because it affects the extent to which they're profitable even if it has no meaningful impact on whether or not they ARE profitable.

 

Fuck offer a pension plan and even if 90+% of the employees will never work there long enough to take advantage of it, you'll hire people immediately.

 

The fact that there's any hand wringing over this or that it's portrayed as some kind of mystery is peak willful ignorance.

 

Yeah, but the board and shareholders need their massive profits. I looked up the Market Basket thing. What really caused the drama was indeed over cutting board members a $250m check, which the CEO was against. This isn't hard, but the rich ones at the top don't really care since they can line their pockets now and totally use that money for a fifth vacation home.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...