So is the 3DS just going to keep increasing in price?

ShreddieMercury

I've recently been toying with the idea of getting a 3DS, but the used prices seem pretty high right now.  I know they were discontinued last year, but I thought the market would be flooded with them considering how well they sold.  I'm surprised to see them around $150 - $200 on the cheap end (at least for units in good condition), and way more for some of the more niche models.  Is this going to be the standard now, or is this just part of the pandemic-fueled surge in retro prices that will (hopefully) calm down at some point?

Covid screwed everything. Your best bet is to constantly refresh store.nintendo.com for referb unit.

I was looking on ebay a few days ago and saw a brand new blue DSi sold for over $200 (USD) and I was like "What the fuck?". I still have a brand new in box blue DSi I bought from a canadian store for $40-$50 like less than 3 years ago. -.- I guess I should be happy 3ds are crazy priced, I have a lot of LE units.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, chakoo said:

Covid screwed everything. Your best bet is to constantly refresh store.nintendo.com for referb unit.

I was looking on ebay a few days ago and saw a brand new blue DSi sold for over $200 (USD) and I was like "What the fuck?". I still have a brand new in box blue DSi I bought from a canadian store for $40-$50 like less than 3 years ago. -.- I guess I should be happy 3ds are crazy priced, I have a lot of LE units.

Yeah, it's crazy.  I've been trawling ebay and used systems that aren't even in good condition are going for hundreds of dollars.  It doesn't make sense to me.

I didn't know that refurb units would still show up on Nintendo's website.  How rare is it for them to have any?

1 hour ago, chakoo said:

A lot have been showing up every few weeks but they sell out almost instantly. So you might want to follow a few Twitter accounts for deals (forgetting the guys name atm).

Which model are you looking for the most?

Cool thanks.  I really don't even have a preference.  I thought about getting the original DS too just because it's cheaper, but since 3DS can play those games it makes more sense to try and get that.  I know there is a "new" XL version, but at this point I think I'd be fine with any model as long as it's in good condition.  I'll keep an eye on the refurb page.  is this what you're referring to? - https://store.nintendo.com/refurbished.html

13 hours ago, ShreddieMercuryRising said:

Cool thanks.  I really don't even have a preference.  I thought about getting the original DS too just because it's cheaper, but since 3DS can play those games it makes more sense to try and get that.  I know there is a "new" XL version, but at this point I think I'd be fine with any model as long as it's in good condition.  I'll keep an eye on the refurb page.  is this what you're referring to? - https://store.nintendo.com/refurbished.html

Yes but also follow Wario64. Sorry I was on my phone and couldn't type this out sooner. He actually posted today about stock going up on nintendo's store but it sold out quickly. :(

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, chakoo said:

Yes but also follow Wario64. Sorry I was on my phone and couldn't type this out sooner. He actually posted today about stock going up on nintendo's store but it sold out quickly. :(

No worries, that's great to know.  I was hoping to spend $100 or so if possible, so I'll try to keep an eye out.  Any idea how often these come around?

4 minutes ago, ShreddieMercuryRising said:

No worries, that's great to know.  I was hoping to spend $100 or so if possible, so I'll try to keep an eye out.  Any idea how often these come around?

Like I mention the refurbs are generally showing up once a week but I can see them not having many left to keep this up. You should be able to get one for under $100 from nintendo. Nice thing with a nintendo refurb, they're practically brand new when you get it.

As a possible last ditch effort. You might consider looking into a JP unit and just hacking the fw to swap it to a USA unit (it's not overly difficult). Used, but well maintained, jp units go for a lot less.

• Thanks 1

Still on the hunt.  I have been following Wario 64 on twitter and checking every day to see if there is a new drop on Nintendo's site, but nothing yet.  I'm traveling this weekend so I hope I don't miss it when they go up, but I most likely will because I can never time these things right.

• 7 months later...
On 6/30/2021 at 6:42 PM, ShreddieMercuryRising said:

I love my Charcoal Grey 3DSXL and still play it several times a week. I do not have many games for it as I lost my Cartridge collection in the fire, but I do own a few AAA titles and a lot of older games as well. Only 2 cartridges I own are Fire Emblem Something and pilot wings. It's still amazes me the technology in these little handhelds too. The 3d works really really well, the newer XL screen is so much nicer though heavy too, and it takes 3d pictures too! What a great little gaming box.