Wirelss 7.1 headsets? Primarily for PC, console/TV use just a bonus.

I have a pair of Logitech G35s that I scored for $40 a few years ago which are still fine except for the fact that I have to take them off to step away from my desk. But I'm looking at new options and don't really know what to pick. I see the G933 and the G935 and as far as I can tell the G935 is basically the G933, but from the reviews maybe built a bit more shoddily, and $60 cheaper because they're the current model whereas the available supply of G933 is clearing out old inventory? Then there's the G533, which are only $80 if you can find one new, and support Dolby in addition to DTS while the G933/G935 only support DTS? I'm not sure how much Dolby support actually matters and I'm also clueless about what's actually reasonable quality without breaking the bank beyond Logitech.

I did get a pair of Anker Q30s for $60 a couple of weeks ago (I know, not 7.1, but wanted the noise cancelling) and those are pretty good except for the fact that the way the multipoint works is kind of a pain in the ass. The only way to set the priority connection is by what it connects to first. So to connect them to my PC as the priority device I have to turn off Bluetooth on my phone, manually connect them via the Windows Bluetooth control panel, then turn Bluetooth on my phone back on, then connect to them from my phone's Bluetooth menu. It would be easier to just have a PC-only headset, the lack of multipoint doesn't really matter if I can move around my apartment while wearing the headset and I don't see myself using the Q30s outside my apartment anyhow. I'd probably return them in favor of whatever 7.1 headset I order if I can find one that makes sense that isn't obscenely expensive.

I use the PC/PlayStation version of this headset, but I'm not sure that it's what you're looking for:

Penrose_ProductShots_Web_Penrose_3Q_240x
WWW.AUDEZE.COM

Penrose X for Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S and PC Penrose for PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, PC and Mac Order now for your place in the July production run. Audeze 100mm planar magnetic drivers Lossless 2.4GHz low-latency wireless connection Bluetooth and wired analog connection options Detachable broadcast quality microphone Comfortable memory foam padding

27 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

I guess I'm not the only one on the market. I just ordered a pair of G533. I wanted something wireless and these looked like they might be a good fit.

Were the G533 new and if so where did you order them from?

36 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I use the PC/PlayStation version of this headset, but I'm not sure that it's what you're looking for:

Penrose_ProductShots_Web_Penrose_3Q_240x
WWW.AUDEZE.COM

Penrose X for Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S and PC Penrose for PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, PC and Mac Order now for your place in the July production run. Audeze 100mm planar magnetic drivers Lossless 2.4GHz low-latency wireless connection Bluetooth and wired analog connection options Detachable broadcast quality microphone Comfortable memory foam padding

I think that's more than I'm looking to spend right now.

30 minutes ago, Jason said:

Wait the G533 don't support Dolby lol this is so fucking confusing. :lol: I got that mixed up in my original post. G533 and G935 don't, only the G933 do, but the G933 are like $60 more than the G935. But like I said, how important is Dolby support, actually? $60 or $120

43 minutes ago, silentbob said:

I was gonna suggest the Microsoft Wireless headset with the USB dongle. Works for the PC and Xbox with ease and the sound is pretty good once you use the EQ settings on the system. Plus it unlocks for you the Dolby Atmos settings for your headset

This? https://www.xbox.com/en-US/accessories/headsets/xbox-wireless-headset

Price is right, supporting both Dolby Atmos and the DTS headphone surround sound is good. Does the surround on a PC, and if so over Bluetooth or do I need to buy the Xbox wireless adapter? https://www.xbox.com/en-US/accessories/adapters/wireless-adapter-windows

1 hour ago, Kal-El814 said:

I use the Corsair Void Wireless and they’ve been reliable and good. I dunno their console compatibility offhand. 

Price is right but I have no idea on Dolby Headphones 7.1 vs Dolby Atmos. I think Atmos is newer???

Shouldn't have even mentioned console stuff in the title, all I really care about is PC compatibility, any console compatibility is purely gravy.

13 minutes ago, Jason said:

Price is right but I have no idea on Dolby Headphones 7.1 vs Dolby Atmos. I think Atmos is newer???

Shouldn't have even mentioned console stuff in the title, all I really care about is PC compatibility, any console compatibility is purely gravy.

Atmos is a more spaced out version of a Dolby 7.1. Basically get your basic 5.1 sound but with an overhead like sound from another 2 speakers. Been great using for COD especially in Nuketown. If I’m downstairs I can spatially hear the guy upstairs and coming down the stairs in the appropriate section. So it will work nicely for most newer movies and Netflix shows with Atmos sound for whatever device you watch on. Headphones are pretty bass heavy which I like, but the default setting will rattle your skull

3 hours ago, Jason said:

On a flyer? No. I just grabbed a Like New one from Amazon Warehouse for like $50. I didn't really want to spend more than that and I've had really good experience with Logitech's 2.4Ghz wireless audio transmitter, so I figured I'd test out the cheapest 7.1 wireless set they made. Every company I've been to, I've made their H800 the standard as the cheap wireless headset I give folks working from home.

The Xbox ones were sounding good until this.

Dolby Atmos for Headphones is available on Xbox and Windows 10 PCs. Dolby Atmos for Headphones activation lasts until 11:59 UTC-12 on September 30, 2021. After trial, you may purchase the app from Dolby directly.

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2021/03/16/xbox-wireless-headset-now-available/

:/

8 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

On a flyer? No. I just grabbed a Like New one from Amazon Warehouse for like $50. I didn't really want to spend more than that and I've had really good experience with Logitech's 2.4Ghz wireless audio transmitter, so I figured I'd test out the cheapest 7.1 wireless set they made. Every company I've been to, I've made their H800 the standard as the cheap wireless headset I give folks working from home.

Link? Everything on Amazon proper was "renewed" which sounded like bullshit.

17 minutes ago, Jason said:

Link? Everything on Amazon proper was "renewed" which sounded like bullshit.

Looks like the last used one Amazon has in stock is in Acceptable condition and not Like New.

Every other one comes from some random third party. I hope I actually get the one I wanted. I ordered it through my corporate account. As much as I want this for gaming, like 80% of the use will be for drowning out the kids when they're running around and I'm in a meeting, but I didn't want TRUE nose cancellation because I do want to know if my oldest is trying to convince his sister she should totally dive off the fridge.

Eh, if I don't get it, I'll just order new for the full price, but at that point there might be better options at $100. That said, even at $100 that's still a hell of a lot cheaper than the $350 headset I have at the office gathering dust. And no, that one would such to try to use at home. Sure, the range will reach my neighbors across the street, but the audio quality sucks and it has a ridiculous charging base.

Just now, Ghost_MH said:

Looks like the last used one Amazon has in stock is in Acceptable condition and not Like New.

Every other one comes from some random third party. I hope I actually get the one I wanted. I ordered it through my corporate account. As much as I want this for gaming, like 80% of the use will be for drowning out the kids when they're running around and I'm in a meeting, but I didn't want TRUE nose cancellation because I do want to know if my oldest is trying to convince his sister she should totally dive off the fridge.

Eh, if I don't get it, I'll just order new for the full price, but at that point there might be better options at $100. That said, even at $100 that's still a hell of a lot cheaper than the $350 headset I have at the office gathering dust. And no, that one would such to try to use at home. Sure, the range will reach my neighbors across the street, but the audio quality sucks and it has a ridiculous charging base.

I was asking because as far as I can tell there aren't still any new G533s floating around, at least not on sites I'd feel comfortable ordering from. There's still new G933s available but they're $180. It seems like the current one, or at least not old enough for the price to be inflated by the stock growing short, is the G935 at $120, but it only has DTS support, no Dolby.

6 hours ago, Jason said:

I was asking because as far as I can tell there aren't still any new G533s floating around, at least not on sites I'd feel comfortable ordering from. There's still new G933s available but they're $180. It seems like the current one, or at least not old enough for the price to be inflated by the stock growing short, is the G935 at $120, but it only has DTS support, no Dolby.

Amazon lists a bunch of G533 headsets that they stock new in the $90 range. I don't know why they being so weird about how they're listing then, though.

4 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

Amazon lists a bunch of G533 headsets that they stock new in the $90 range. I don't know why they being so weird about how they're listing then, though.

Because it's Amazon so of course it's hard to find anything.

Could you link to what you found for brand new? 

1 minute ago, Jason said:

Because it's Amazon so of course it's hard to find anything.

Could you link to what you found for brand new? 

That I can't do because Amazon is dumb. Follow the link up above, click to see Others Sellers on Amazon and you'll find an the new headsets listed as belonging to other sellers, but are warehoused and asked by Amazon. Prices seem to take from $98-$110.

I so hate Amazon.

17 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

That I can't do because Amazon is dumb. Follow the link up above, click to see Others Sellers on Amazon and you'll find an the new headsets listed as belonging to other sellers, but are warehoused and asked by Amazon. Prices seem to take from $98-$110.

I so hate Amazon.

Thanks (and yes). So hmm...$100 for a new G533, like $70-$80 for a "like new" G933 to get the Atmos support, or go for the Xbox one which is apparently hard to find at MSRP (Walmart seems to have them in stock for online shipping though), will presumably require the $25 wireless adapter for the 7.1 audio to work since I can't imagine that working over Bluetooth, and then having to pay for the Atmos support on October 1? Which seems to be $15?

So annoying. I'd just go for the Xbox ones if not for needing to spend an extra $40 on other stuff. G933 would be the obvious choice if they weren't $180 new, I don't know how I feel about "like new". Bleh.

@Jason 

The G533s are pretty nice. They're very large like all these headsets are, but they're still comfortable. I'm getting pretty good range from the USB dongle. I'm not a huge fan that the only way to get 7.1 working on them was to install the Logitech gaming software. I was kinda hoping it would just be a driver thing, but nope. I had to install the suite and then enable 7.1 within it. Separation of channels is pretty great, though; even with heavy bass going. I'm a fan. I'm glad I got them for as cheap as I did, but I see B&H has them for $74. I would totally have bought them from there. I really do give them a lot of money now that I think about it.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/1/2021 at 6:12 PM, Ghost_MH said:

@Jason 

The G533s are pretty nice. They're very large like all these headsets are, but they're still comfortable. I'm getting pretty good range from the USB dongle. I'm not a huge fan that the only way to get 7.1 working on them was to install the Logitech gaming software. I was kinda hoping it would just be a driver thing, but nope. I had to install the suite and then enable 7.1 within it. Separation of channels is pretty great, though; even with heavy bass going. I'm a fan. I'm glad I got them for as cheap as I did, but I see B&H has them for $74. I would totally have bought them from there. I really do give them a lot of money now that I think about it.

Wound up buying an Xbox Wireless Headset and Wireless Adapter from Best Buy that arrived today and in the process of getting it set up discovered that Dolby Atmos for Headphones gives you 7.1 audio on any headset regardless of whether or not it explicitly supports Atmos? :thinking: If that's right maybe I return the Xbox gear and get the G533s, Amazon has them for $70, nearly half the price since the G533s come with the necessary 2.4 GHz adapter, whereas the XBox headset is nominally only $100 but then you need to drop $25 on the Xbox Wireless adapter.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Jason said:

Wound up buying an Xbox Wireless Headset and Wireless Adapter from Best Buy that arrived today and in the process of getting it set up discovered that Dolby Atmos for Headphones gives you 7.1 audio on any headset regardless of whether or not it explicitly supports Atmos? :thinking: If that's right maybe I return the Xbox gear and get the G533s, Amazon has them for $70, nearly half the price since the G533s come with the necessary 2.4 GHz adapter, whereas the XBox headset is nominally only $100 but then you need to drop $25 on the Xbox Wireless adapter.

Multi channel audio for headphones is just simulated, so yes any head phones will work with it. 

On 7/24/2021 at 12:39 AM, SimpleG said:

Multi channel audio for headphones is just simulated, so yes any head phones will work with it. 

Seems strange that specific headphones are advertised as working specifically with Atmos and/or DTX, then.

Anyhow the last bit I'm having trouble figuring out is, can the multi channel/spatial audio for headphones work with Bluetooth? And if so, is there a minimum Bluetooth version required (4.0, 4.2, 5.0, etc)? The Xbox Wireless headset won't do Atmos without the dedicated Xbox wireless adapter that's apparently some kind of WiFi direct implementation? I'm unclear on if it's actually necessary to use something better than Bluetooth because of bandwidth or audio quality issues or whatever, or if Microsoft just requires it with the Xbox Wireless headset so they can guarantee better audio quality or something???

On 7/26/2021 at 7:23 AM, Jason said:

Seems strange that specific headphones are advertised as working specifically with Atmos and/or DTX, then.

Anyhow the last bit I'm having trouble figuring out is, can the multi channel/spatial audio for headphones work with Bluetooth? And if so, is there a minimum Bluetooth version required (4.0, 4.2, 5.0, etc)? The Xbox Wireless headset won't do Atmos without the dedicated Xbox wireless adapter that's apparently some kind of WiFi direct implementation? I'm unclear on if it's actually necessary to use something better than Bluetooth because of bandwidth or audio quality issues or whatever, or if Microsoft just requires it with the Xbox Wireless headset so they can guarantee better audio quality or something???

Anyone? Is there something easy like a minimum bandwidth I can look for or something? Makes my decision making way way easier if I can basically pick whatever as long as I check I have a new enough Bluetooth version (since they increase the Bluetooth bandwidth over time), maybe don't even get the G533s at that point. 

1 hour ago, Jason said:

Anyone? Is there something easy like a minimum bandwidth I can look for or something? Makes my decision making way way easier if I can basically pick whatever as long as I check I have a new enough Bluetooth version (since they increase the Bluetooth bandwidth over time), maybe don't even get the G533s at that point. 

After doing some digging it appears that wireless head phones that are doing virtual 7.1 are not blue tooth but run on a wireless frequency (2.4G) most likely. If you are hell bent on wireless you need something other then just Bluetooth. Also be aware that something like the G533s are using an outside program to do the 7.1 decoding so using them somewhere else other then a PC will not get you what you want. Good luck man 

1 hour ago, SimpleG said:

After doing some digging it appears that wireless head phones that are doing virtual 7.1 are not blue tooth but run on a wireless frequency (2.4G) most likely. If you are hell bent on wireless you need something other then just Bluetooth. Also be aware that something like the G533s are using an outside program to do the 7.1 decoding so using them somewhere else other then a PC will not get you what you want. Good luck man 

Thanks. I know there's additional software needed but it Atmos 7.1 for example can be obtained through any headset on PC using the Dolby Access app: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/dolby-access/9n0866fs04w8#activetab=pivot:overviewtab

So it seems like something like the G533s should be fine with Atmos 7.1 via the Dolby Access app even though the G533s are listed as only supporting DTS:X, since from what I can follow the reason for Logitech listing them that way is presumably just that their included software only handles DTS:X, right? But if you're willing to pay separately for Dolby Access then it would work? @Ghost_MH any insight here?

Seems like the Xbox Wireless headset drops the connection if I move too far way from my computer, which defeats the point of it being wireless, but this is all so confusing having ignored everything surround sound for years now. :p

I have a pair of Audio Technica ATX-M50x, which are awesome, but they don't have a microphone. Flawless bluetooth, but I always forget to turn it off when I stop using them, so the battery is always dead, therefore I am almost always using them with an aux cable.