For You Film Buffs, What Game has the Best In Game Camera Work?

skillzdadirecta

I'm currently playing God of War on PS4 and I'm constantly impressed by the camera direction in the game particularly the seamless integration between Gameplay and in game cutscenes and it got me thinking about camera work in cinematic games, an under-appreciated aspect that is invaluable to the overall immersion of the game. The current Tomb Raider series and the Uncharted Series also have great camera work and I was wondering what other games you guys thought had great camera work. Hopefully you'll name some games I haven't played and would need to check out.

5 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I'm currently playing God of War on PS4 and I'm constantly impressed by the camera direction in the game particularly the seamless integration between Gameplay and in game cutscenes and it got me thinking about camera work in cinematic games, an under-appreciated aspect that is invaluable to the overall immersion of the game. The current Tomb Raider series and the Uncharted Series also have great camera work and I was wondering what other games you guys thought had great camera work. Hopefully you'll name some games I haven't played and would need to check out.

I would also highlight the last of us as well. Naughty dog really has that cinematic cutscene camera work nailed down. 

What God of War did with its camera is so impressive, I can't believe they pulled that off. I'd love to see a no-death playthrough, just one long tracking shot from start to finish. 

12 minutes ago, mo1518 said:

I would also highlight the last of us as well. Naughty dog really has that cinematic cutscene camera work nailed down. 

What God of War did with its camera is so impressive, I can't believe they pulled that off. I'd love to see a no-death playthrough, just one long tracking shot from start to finish. 

Oh yes... The Last of Us definitely! Forgot about that one. The Arkham Games are dame good in this regard as well.

You started the topic with what I think is the current king of the hill. The way they treat the camera in GoW is unlike what anyone else has done, and was apparently quite difficult to pull off.

Uncharted 4 has also been mentioned, but I find the dynamic camera work far more impressive than whatever happens in the cutscenes. Here's a deep dive into their process if you're curious.

I wish I could think of other examples, but unfortunately bad camera work is so much more common than anything notable.

I was actually debating video game camera work with some friends recently. They were playing through Until Dawn, which often uses an almost RE style static camera setup, which I've never liked. They argued it helped set the mood, but I feel like a good dynamic camera can do even better without compromising gameplay.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

You started the topic with what I think is the current king of the hill. The way they treat the camera in GoW is unlike what anyone else has done, and was apparently quite difficult to pull off.

Uncharted 4 has also been mentioned, but I find the dynamic camera work far more impressive than whatever happens in the cutscenes. Here's a deep dive into their process if you're curious.

I wish I could think of other examples, but unfortunately bad camera work is so much more common than anything notable.

I was actually debating video game camera work with some friends recently. They were playing through Until Dawn, which often uses an almost RE style static camera setup, which I've never liked. They argued it helped set the mood, but I feel like a good dynamic camera can do even better without compromising gameplay.

That Polygon article sums up my feelings about God of War's camera perfectly. That was a great gamble on their part and it's been very effective so far. Imagine a survival horror game that takes a similar approach...

8 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I remember Ico having some pretty slick camera work, it definitely helped contribute to the atmosphere of the game.

Maybe I’d put Journey in there too.

I don't think it holds up anymore, but I do agree that they often had some really nice angles to emphasize the danger of the heights, jumps, and slips.