Jump to content

Windows 11 will be free - Auto HDR, Direct Storage Support, Xbox App Built in with XCloud


ManUtdRedDevils
 Share

Recommended Posts

13 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

Best definitely cumming over this right? @stepee

 

I am for auto hdr on an official release! I tried it a little in a preview build but the build was kinda buggy ofc so I switched back to regular, but it’s so neat!

 

Also the i/o stuff of course. When do we get this?

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Looks like DirectStorrage requires a 1+TB SSD.

 

Have you read if it matters if the OS is a 1tb drive for direct storage? Meaning, my os drive is only 256gb, but all my games besides ones stored externally are on a 1tb sata ssd and a 2tb nvme. So would I be good then or do I need to annoyingly reinstall windows to a 1+tb?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, stepee said:

 

Have you read if it matters if the OS is a 1tb drive for direct storage? Meaning, my os drive is only 256gb, but all my games besides ones stored externally are on a 1tb sata ssd and a 2tb nvme. So would I be good then or do I need to annoyingly reinstall windows to a 1+tb?

 

No clue.  My os drive is 512gb, so I'm in the same boat.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The android app thing feels like it's a guaranteed disaster. I struggle to think of a good use case for it, and can't imagine everything working smoothly. Maybe it'll work better on future ARM based Windows PCs, but when Google can't even get them working well on Chrome OS, I have little hope for Windows.

 

I like the new design elements well enough, but unless the final build is differs greatly from the leak, I have to imagine that they're only at the very surface level. I really wish Windows would just give us a clean break from all the cruft that has accumulated since 95

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

The android app thing feels like it's a guaranteed disaster. I struggle to think of a good use case for it, and can't imagine everything working smoothly. Maybe it'll work better on future ARM based Windows PCs, but when Google can't even get them working well on Chrome OS, I have little hope for Windows.

 

I like the new design elements well enough, but unless the final build is differs greatly from the leak, I have to imagine that they're only at the very surface level. I really wish Windows would just give us a clean break from all the cruft that has accumulated since 95

 

Android runs perfectly fine on x86. The issues with Chrome OS are entirely Google's fault. Google could have just created a desktop branch of Android, but they didn't. They could have created an smart device branch of Android, but didn't; and now they're doubling down with Fuscia OS that didn't even use a Linux kernel like Chrome OS and Android.

 

That much is Google just fucking around and having no idea how to do things. All Android apps run in a sort of virtualization layer anyway, so it should work just fine in Windows. I mean, that's how the Android SDK currently works.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Android runs perfectly fine on x86. The issues with Chrome OS are entirely Google's fault. Google could have just created a desktop branch of Android, but they didn't. They could have created an smart device branch of Android, but didn't; and now they're doubling down with Fuscia OS that didn't even use a Linux kernel like Chrome OS and Android.

 

That much is Google just fucking around and having no idea how to do things. All Android apps run in a sort of virtualization layer anyway, so it should work just fine in Windows. I mean, that's how the Android SDK currently works.

Sure, Android itself can run on x86, but we have zero real world examples of x86 products running Android apps on top of another OS well. We've seen various Windows apps try and Chrome OS, which does run a Linux kernel, hasn't gotten it right either.

 

Plus, even if you do get everything working on the performance side of things, you still have to reckon with using apps built for touch, GPS, cameras, etc. run on a platform that may not have any of those things. Maybe there are some fringe cases for this, but when I look at my phone I see a bunch of apps that I'd either have no interest in running on my PC or already have Windows or web versions.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

 

Not that I don't trust these kinds of updates but I think fresh installs are usually the way to go with these anyway. :p

 

Honestly the upgrades from 7 to 10 were pretty smooth.  Obviously not perfect in every case but they did a lot better job than previously.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, cusideabelincoln said:

A free upgrade I would have expected.

 

But will it be free to install on fresh systems, permanently?  You can install Windows 10 to anything, but if you don't buy it in 30 days you get limited features.  Is 11 the same?

 

You need a license for windows.  For most people they will receive that when they purchase their device.  If you build a computer you will need to purchase a license separately.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, vaxick said:

I cannot think of a single app on my Pixel I'd want to use in Windows, and Microsoft using TikTok as an example seems odd considering TikTok has a web edition.

 

Isn't the web edition of TikTok very limited?

 

No matter, I can think of a couple. I'd love to be able to access my home security cameras from my laptop. There's an app on my phone and no good way to view the camera feed over a browser. If it can handle Android notifications, I'd like getting notified on my laptop or desktop that someone wrang the doorbell accompanied with video. My phone does, but it's always nice to get alerts on the screen you're already looking at.

 

There's also some silly stuff like Webtoons. I often buy comics from them, but they don't allow you to view bought chapters within a browser, only through their mobile app.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

 

Isn't the web edition of TikTok very limited?

 

No matter, I can think of a couple. I'd love to be able to access my home security cameras from my laptop. There's an app on my phone and no good way to view the camera feed over a browser. If it can handle Android notifications, I'd like getting notified on my laptop or desktop that someone wrang the doorbell accompanied with video. My phone does, but it's always nice to get alerts on the screen you're already looking at.

 

There's also some silly stuff like Webtoons. I often buy comics from them, but they don't allow you to view bought chapters within a browser, only through their mobile app.

 

Yes, it's more so for viewing videos than making, but most of the people who are serious about that app use video editing software and then upload after that.  For the casual user, it would be a bit odd to make a video on your desktop when more than likely, your phone's camera along with microphone are better in every conceivable way.

 

I didn't think about smart home uses, technically, I suppose I could use the Ikea app on my desktop that way to control my lights, but I'm just so used to doing it via Google Home or my remotes, that I never thought about that.  It could come in handy if I put some smart bulbs in my computer area instead of having to pair another remote to bulbs over there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

My X99 mobo does not have TPM so no Windows 11 for me until a new build.

 

Does your mobo have a TPM header? My X570 doesn't have a TPM, but it does have a 2x6 TPM header.

 

A4M5_1_20170714747335577.jpg
WWW.NEWEGG.COM

Buy 14-1 PIN TPM MODULE with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Ghost_MH said:

 

Does your mobo have a TPM header? My X570 doesn't have a TPM, but it does have a 2x6 TPM header.

 

A4M5_1_20170714747335577.jpg
WWW.NEWEGG.COM

Buy 14-1 PIN TPM MODULE with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

 

 

I think that the X99 does, but I figure I'm due for a whole new build anyway.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I wonder if those people who are still rocking Windows 7 will finally upgrade


One of my former co-workers was so pissed when they switched him from Windows 7 this past November :lol: Cursed like a sailor trying to figure out how shit worked as they swapped his work computer to another with the latest OS running. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Brick said:

What do they mean by auto HDR? HDR is a hardware feature of monitors, isn't it? Is it just going to auto detect and turn on HDR if your monitor is capable?

HDR and SDR content are very different. You generally don't want HDR enabled in SDR content because it looks dark and weird and bad. Currently in Windows there's an HDR switch buried in an annoying menu to turn it on, which you have to manually do for some games and content. I imagine this would enable it by default when HDR flagged content is ran while on an HDR display, streamlining the process dramatically. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

You can't change the taskbar position from the bottom of the screen, so that's Strike 1 right there.

Seriously?

I've always had my taskbar at the top of my screen.

If I am forced to have it at the bottom that is going to suckkkkkkkk.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...