Ghost of Tsushima - Director's Cut, update: PC version could be announced on March 5

Game Information

Game Title: Ghost of Tsushima Director's Cut

Platforms:

• PlayStation 5 (Aug 20, 2021)
  • PlayStation 4 (Aug 20, 2021)

Publisher: PlayStation

Review Aggregator

OpenCritic - 88 average - 98% recommended

Critic Reviews

Daily Star - 5 / 5 stars

Overall, this is the best version of Ghost of Tsushima out there.

CGMagazine - 9.5 / 10

Newcomers and veterans alike should draw their swords for this one, because Ghost of Tsushima excels on the PS5 and strikes just shy of perfection.

God is a Geek - 9.5 / 10

Ghost of Tsushima Director's Cut on PS5 is the best way to play Sucker Punch's masterpiece, with a great new expansion and technological improvements that make this an instant classic.

Worth Playing - 9.5 / 10

Ghost of Tsushima Director's Cut feels like the truest, purest way to experience this title, so much so that I'm willing to go through it once again from the top, when Jin rode into battle with his uncle and almost died. I want to ride through the grass, stumble into duels, climb mountains and battle Mongols for another few dozen hours while making a stop on a freaky island to fight a crazy woman who likes poison and the color purple. I want to do it all, and I would recommend that anyone with the time should look into doing the same. It's still the samurai game of my dreams: Now it looks even better, and there's more of it.

Geek Culture - 9.1 / 10

With more amazing content and new bells and whistles, Ghost of Tsushima Director’s Cut provides compelling reasons to enjoy the stellar game yet again for veterans and an excellent experience for new players.

Hobby Consolas - Spanish - 91 / 100

Ghost of Tsushima was an impressive game when it was released a year ago, and this PS5 version is still amazing. It looks great (either on fidelity or performance mode), adds dualsense features, and most important, Iki Island deepens on Jin Sakai story, adding new gameplay mechanics, enemies and environments.

Areajugones - Spanish - 9 / 10

‎I always demanded a lot, they always demanded a lot from me. That made me among other things found this website from scratch, from my room when I was just 18 years old. But as you grow older, if you're lucky, you learn. In this last year I learned many things that make the person who analyzed the base game very different from the one who writes about this Ghost of Tsushima Director's Cut today. Learn from mistakes, learn from failures, and learn to apologize. This text is my apology to the game and to myself.‎

Atomix - Spanish - 90 / 100

‎It seems to me that paying $30 dollars to upgrade to both the native PS5 version, and all the extra content that comes, makes all the sense in the world, I would even tell you that if you're only interested in playing Iki Island and you're good to go, you'll be extremely pleased.‎

Attack of the Fanboy - 4.5 / 5 stars

While the Director's Cut improvements are appreciated, the Iki Island expansion is the real star of this rerelease. Iki Island distills all the best parts of Ghost of Tsushima into one focused experience, and it provides an incredibly compelling reason to return to the game.

Checkpoint Gaming - 9 / 10

Ghost of Tsushima Director’s Cut is a stunning upgrade to an already excellent title, and brings forth some fantastic updates to the PS5 version of the game that enhance, deepen, and expand the gameplay experience. Other than the very minor complaint of some dark visuals, there is a whole lot to love on offer here, and I was delighted to have another reason to join Jin on a new, exciting adventure in feudal Japan. Ghost of Tsushima was already a must-play title, and with the Director’s Cut here there really is no excuse to not experience one of the greatest new IPs PlayStation has to offer.

Destructoid - 9 / 10

Ghost of Tsushima Director’s Cut is now the definitive version of an already great game; and although the DLC does feel like too much of a companion piece at times, it doesn’t feel tacked-on in the slightest. If you’re keen on experiencing the game from the ground up, this is the way to do it going forward.

GameMAG - Russian - 9 / 10

The consistency and fulfillness of the Iki Island expansion is stunning. Especially compared to many other addons. It's well worth the buy, both for fans and wider audience alike.

GamePro - German - 90 / 100

Iki Island is a great addon for fans of the main game who want to feast even more of the delicious samurai buffet after a long break.

GameSpew - 9 / 10

Ghost of Tsushima was a great game when it launched just over a year ago. And now, in the form of a Director’s Cut, it’s even better. It seems trite to make a big deal over the visuals not being massively upgraded for next-gen when the game looks so phenomenal anyway, and what has been added – 3D audio and DualSense support – is enough to make the upgrade fee worthwhile for those who already own the original game and want to take on the new Iki Island expansion. That itself is largely more of the same, but its thoroughly engaging story that lets us learn more about Jin Sakai isn’t to be missed by those who were entertained by the game’s main campaign. And so, what else is there to say, other than for newcomers, Ghost of Tsushima: Director’s Cut on PS5 is absolutely essential.

GamingBolt - 9 / 10

host of Tsushima Director's Cut is the best version of an excellent game, thanks not only to various technical and quality-of-life improvements, but also a meaty and brilliant new expansion that builds on the base game's biggest strengths in all the right ways.

GamingTrend - 90 / 100

Ghost of Tsushima Tales of Iki delivers an absolute masterpiece to Sony's PlayStation 5, alongside a remarkable expansion to an already phenomenal game. Some new mechanics keep things fresh, as does another excellent story from Sucker Punch. While there are a few hiccups to contend with, this is easily a must-have title for the year.

Hardcore Gamer - 4.5 / 5

Ghost of Tsushima is one of the best samurai games of all time and the Director's Cut only excels it further.

Oyungezer Online - Turkish - 9 / 10

The magnificent geography of the Iki Island and the new story have made this package worth buying by adding PS5 specific features on top.

PCMag - 4.5 / 5 stars

Ghost of Tsushima: Director’s Cut offers a new, explorable island and several welcome PS5-exclusive enhancements. It is a worthy upgrade of an already exceptional title.

PlayStation LifeStyle - 9 / 10

For returning players, Ghost of Tsushima Director's Cut is well worth diving back into for the Iki Island expansion alone and the way it explores a different facet of Jin's internal conflicts. It may not sate the desire for a full sequel, but it does a lot of cool things to make the experience feel fresh even as it explores the familiar. For brand new players who missed the game on PS4, there's no better way to experience Ghost of Tsushima. An engaging new story chapter will give new players even more insight into Jin and PS5 enhancements improve the entire adventure, which itself was already a technical marvel on last-gen consoles. Sony's experiment into re-releasing last-gen games on the new consoles with meaningful additions is so far paying off.

Press Start - 9 / 10

Ghost of Tsushima Director's Cut and in particular  the Iki Island expansion does a great job at giving players more of what made the game's original release special. The brisk new adventure takes Jin Sakai on a journey of reflection and reconciliation that contains plenty of beautiful, memorable moments and some very cool new gear to play with. The updates made for its native PS5 release do feel a touch slim given that they come at an added cost, but they do go a long way to refining and enhancing the experience. A great game made better, then, and a fantastic excuse to spend dozens more hours in Photo Mode.

Push Square - 9 / 10

Ghost of Tsushima: Director's Cut amplifies an already excellent open world game. The Iki Island expansion is worth the price of admission alone, providing another chunk of stunning Japanese landscape for Jin to explore, while also digging into the protagonist's past. A fantastic range of story missions and side quests make for a memorable offshore excursion, and put alongside the main campaign, Ghost of Tsushima now stands as a PS4 and PS5 must-buy.

The Games Machine - Italian - 8.8 / 10

A year later, Ghost of Tsushima is still a great game, and this Director's Cut is the definitive version, especially if you own a PlayStation 5. It's a great experience, but it's mainly for newcomers: the improvements are welcome, but hardly enough to tempt veterans of the original.

JVL - French - 17 / 20

Complicated to approach a Director's Cut and decide on how to evaluate it. Also, it will depend on your experience. If you are devoid of any progression in Ghost of Tsushima, there is no question to ask, go for it, our 17/20 + favorite is more valid than ever, the work being more immersive with technical changes or improvements via the DualSense.

Nerdburglars - 8.5 / 10

The Director's Cut of Ghost of Tsushima makes an already stunning game one of the most impressive looking games on the market today. Iki island brings you on a fun adventure that takes a break from the more historically believable story of the main game. The adventure might be a little short but packs quite the punch. It is unfortunate that there isnt more to do on Iki island outside of the main story but considering there is quite a lot of content in the base game that you can still enjoy, the Director's Cut is a worthwhile purchase for anyone looking to step into the shoes of a samurai.

PSX Brasil - Portuguese - 85 / 100

Iki Island is an expansion that complements the story of Ghost of Tsushima, but at the cost of a shorter campaign and with only a few updates in gameplay. However, everything is of the same quality as the base game, and that alone is enough to guarantee a few more hours of fun in one of the best titles of the last year, now with significant improvements in PlayStation 5.

PowerUp! - 8.5 / 10

Ghost if Tsushima Director's Cut isn't as revolutionary as its invasion-thwarting subject matter, but it's still a damn nice slice of samurai escapism. If nothing else, Sucker Punch has secured a solid new-gen beachhead to (hopefully) launch a multi-sequel assault.

SECTOR.sk - Slovak - 8.5 / 10

Ghost of Tsushima is even better with Director's Cut but the Iki Island expansion lacks anything new or exciting.

Cerealkillerz - German - 8.3 / 10

The Ghost of Tsushima: Director’s Cut offers the best version of Ghost of Tsushima so far and delivers some exciting new hours of content with the Iki Island DLC, even if it is not much new for people that have already finished the main game. The missing enemy variety and the lack of really new activities and upgrades are the biggest letdowns of the new dlc content, compared to the full package players get with the Director’s Cut.

IGN Italy - Italian - 8.3 / 10

A refined and improved edition of the base game, not without flaws but still full of interesting news, warmly recommended to all lovers of the genre.

GameSpot - 8 / 10

The new chapter of Ghost of Tsushima adds to Jin's backstory in a way that makes it feel essential, while adding even more of the best stuff from the vanilla game.

IGN - 8 / 10

Iki Island doesn't do much beyond just offering more Ghost of Tsushima, but the new content is extremely worthwhile, thanks to a story that dives deeper into Jin's past, a few new combat wrinkles, and plenty of secrets to discover.

Metro GameCentral - 8 / 10

The underlying game is still too reliant on the Ubisoft formula but the new content and Legends mode make Ghost Of Tsushima Director's Cut a notably better experience than the original at launch.

Saudi Gamer - Arabic - 8 / 10

The technical enhancements might be slight but it makes a rich and enjoyable and pretty game even prettier, and the new content fleshes out the main character even more. The definitive edition of a great game

TheGamer - 4 / 5 stars

Ghost of Tsushima: Director’s Cut is the best version of an accomplished open world adventure with great characters, excellent combat, and a setting that is constantly inviting to explore. While the base game falters in its storytelling, the Iki Island expansion manages to tell a nuanced story of parental influence and the challenge of moving on from the past in spite of your personal allegiances. It’s the most human Jin Sakai has ever been, yet the brief campaign and emphasis on familiar busywork hold it back from potential greatness. If you didn’t like the game before, this won’t change your mind, but fans will find a lot of added brilliance to dig into here alongside a narrative journey well worth taking.

Twinfinite - 4 / 5

Still, despite those shortcomings, there’s no question that Ghost of Tsushima Iki Island is an entertaining overall experience and I’m confident most players will find it worth the asking price; in particular, because the story strengthens Jin’s character arc by shining a light on an aspect of his youth not particularly well explained in the base game. For that reason, it works as an adventure played alongside the base game, and equally as an engaging new chapter for those playing it after the fact.

Everyeye.it - Italian - 7.8 / 10

The wind blowing from Iki Island, at times, knows how to be even more overwhelming than the one that crossed the horizons of Tsushima. Short but incisive, the expansion comes up with an intimate narrative, which digs even deeper into the tormented meanders of Jin's soul: it succeeds, and convinces us.

Sirus Gaming - 7.5 / 10

The Iki Island expansion is a little weak, with its strange supernatural storyline that is far too brief; however, the side quests and exploration of Iki more than make-up for it. If you’re someone that enjoyed Ghost of Tsushima, then this expansion is well worth your time. Iki Island has plenty to do and lots to see.

ACG - Never Touch

"Beautiful combat, bold colors, and river dancing shaman making encounters doubling engaging. A significant expansion with a bit of trouble in the story."

Chicas Gamers - Spanish - Unscored

This director's cut of Ghost of Tsushima is so packed with content that it's a must-have for those of you who like me enjoyed the base game. Of course, much better if you have a PS5 so that you enjoy the contributions to the DualSense and the improvement in resolution, refresh rate and loading times.

Console Creatures - Recommended

Ghost of Tsushima Director’s Cut is the definitive version of Jin Sakai's journey — one that begins as a slow burn before ramping into a bold transformation tale. Iki Island offers a great follow-up delving into Jin's trauma while keeping the Mongols at bay. It's also technically impressive with worthwhile quality of life improvements.

Game Informer - Unscored

I was happily surprised by the breadth, depth, and challenge of the Iki Island expansion. For new players, it will extend an already lengthy adventure into something more. Meanwhile, returning players should be thrilled at how well this experience dovetails out of an already stellar game. Iki Island is what I want out of single-player game expansions. And it’s further proof (as if we needed any more at this point) that Sucker Punch has a standout new property to continue building on.

GamesRadar+ - Unscored

And it's that connectivity that really feels at the core of this DLC. Everything you're doing is building your own connection to Jin, helping to flesh out the human side of the inimitable Ghost of Tsushima through his family, his friends, and new-found (if reluctant) allies. Sucker Punch's ability to weave beautiful narratives that will, ahem, sucker punch you right in the feels is more in the spotlight here than ever, and it's an utter success.

One More Game - Buy

Ghost of Tsushima Director's Cut is a standout experience especially on the Playstation 5. It has enhanced the already beloved title with many improvements over its PS4 counterpart including improved visuals, DualSense support, and much-improved frame rates among other things. While the $10 upgrade fee is a bitter pill to swallow for some, we feel that the proof is in the pudding, and the upgrades are substantial enough to make the experience even better.

Polygon - Unscored

Sucker Punch Productions later explained that the lack of a target lock, and the awareness that goes along with it, more suited the Mongols' presence as a swarming, constantly deadly threat. Players would have to make affirmative inputs and precise choices rather than spam the buttons. But the absence of a lock-on was off-putting enough that Sucker Punch created one for Director's Cut - as well as in a patch to the original game - highlighting it as a fan request fulfilled.

Shacknews - Unscored

I think by now it’s clear that Ghost of Tsushima Director’s Cut looks somehow even better than the original. If you have been sleeping on it, now is definitely the time to check it out. If you’ve already played through what the core game has to offer, Iki Island is a reasonably priced expansion (as is the PS5 upgrade). I do wish it had just a little bit more to offer, but I will take it over nothing. If you loved what this game already had to offer, how could you turn down more of it? The story is compelling enough to keep you playing and Iki itself, as I’ve already said profusely, is total eye candy. It’s time to hop back on that horse and get to the slashing, samurai.

Skill Up - Unscored

Video Review - Quote not available

Spaziogames - Italian - Unscored

This is definitely how do you want to experience and live Jin Sakai's journey.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Ghost of Tsushima - Director's Cut (20 August 2021) - update: reviews from OpenCritic posted

I never picked this up last year when it originally came out, and I still only own a PS4. Maybe it's high time I get my ass off this horse, and get the Director's Cut.

On 8/19/2021 at 9:03 AM, SaysWho? said:

I have to say, even the load times for Base PS4 are quite good based on that video. <10 sec, especially when I've been used to 30 sec or more on some console games is pretty sweet.

5 minutes ago, imthesoldier said:

I never picked this up last year when it originally came out, and I still only own a PS4. Maybe it's high time I get my ass off this horse, and get the Director's Cut.

I have to say, even the load times for Base PS4 are quite good based on that video. <10 sec, especially when I've been used to 30 sec or more on some console games is pretty sweet.

I remember being very impressed with the PS4 load times when Ghost of Tsushima released. For an open world game on a standard hard drive, it was optimized.

3 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

I remember being very impressed with the PS4 load times when Ghost of Tsushima released. For an open world game on a standard hard drive, it was optimized.

I shouldn't be too surprised given it's Sucker Punch, and I loved playing the inFamous games (well, the first two anyway. Second Son was alright, but nothing compared to the first two. I miss Cole...)

9 minutes ago, imthesoldier said:

I shouldn't be too surprised given it's Sucker Punch, and I loved playing the inFamous games (well, the first two anyway. Second Son was alright, but nothing compared to the first two. I miss Cole...)

I liked it a lot more when it released, but it was surpassed so many ways. First Light was really good, though; it distilled what worked in Second Son and gave a more focused experience.

It wasn't even Cole for me; it just seemed like the side missions were really lacking. Taking over each district and then brawling with the DUP? That concept by itself was fine, but I'd rather have had more meaningful side missions like Cole's Legacy and fewer district things involving cameras and spies that were really basic. The taking over districts work as part of an overall batch of side missions, but being the only side thing didn't work as well.

8 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

I liked it a lot more when it released, but it was surpassed so many ways. First Light was really good, though; it distilled what worked in Second Son and gave a more focused experience.

It wasn't even Cole for me; it just seemed like the side missions were really lacking. Taking over each district and then brawling with the DUP? That concept by itself was fine, but I'd rather have had more meaningful side missions like Cole's Legacy and fewer district things involving cameras and spies that were really basic. The taking over districts work as part of an overall batch of side missions, but being the only side thing didn't work as well.

I almost forgot about all the side stuff in Second Son. I now remember how tedious they were, and I kept thinking to myself, "Was it really this tedious in the first two games because I remember having a blast going 100% on those?"

9 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Where is the save file located - on the PS4 or on PSN?

You're supposed to upload your PS4 save file to the cloud then download that to the PS5 and then import that save file to the PS5 version of Ghost. Everything worked up until that last part. The PS5 version isn't recognizing the save file and is treating it as if I'm starting a new game from scratch. @JPDunks4 said he saw some reports of save files getting wiped completely. Luckily I still have my PS4 which has my latest save file saved locally. It's not hooked up though. Once I hook it up I'll try the process again.

28 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Please don't hate me for asking this. But is the DLC available for the PS4 or only the PS5? I'm confused with reading some reviews. Also, how much does it cost if it's available for PS4?

DLC is available for both PS4 and PS5, It is $19.99 for PS4. If you buy the DLC on PS4 but want to upgrade the DLC on the PS5 it costs $9.99 on top of that.

The upgrade to DC from PS4 (base game) to PS5 (Director's cut) is $29.99

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

DLC is available for both PS4 and PS5, It is $19.99 for PS4. If you buy the DLC on PS4 but want to upgrade the DLC on the PS5 it costs $9.99 on top of that.

The upgrade to DC from PS4 (base game) to PS5 (Director's cut) is $29.99

Awesome. Thanks. I'm going to replay the entire game again starting tonight then play the DLC.

• Like 1

It’s disappointing that there’s no difference graphically on the PS5 version vs running the PS4 version on PS5. Both will run 60fps, you just get a small bump in constant resolution on PS5 afaik, but nothing that’s going to act as more than placebo unless you’re running the two side by side.

With them charging for the upgrade when others are doing it for free, at least add ray traced reflections or something. The PS5 upgrades seem to be better loading times (I remember reading that the devs purposely slowed down load times on the PS4 version so you could read the tips, so… who knows how artificial this actually is, since we don’t have an “uncapped PS4 load” version), 3D sound, and haptic feedback. That’s really shitty to charge $10 for when things like Miles Morales, or any Xbone game, upgrades for free.

Anyway, a few hours in and the new DLC is great. :p 

12 hours ago, johnny said:

this is really good. game looks gorgeous on the PS5. 

i must have accidentally switched the difficulty to hard at some point cuz i was like “damn iki island is destroying my ass” and then i saw my save wasn’t on medium lol. 

I started on lethal and it seems great.

I booted up the game again last night and it recognized mjy PS4 save file finally so. Not sure what changed, the PS5 DID indicate that the game updated since I last booted it up so maybe that made the difference? Any way I haven't started the DLC yet because I want to get reaquainted with the game mechanics first before I dive into the expansion.

I’m not super great at games or anything, but Lethal really feels like the right difficulty to play on so far. Yeah you get dunked pretty quick but the enemies get rinsed fast as well, which feels pretty thematic.

I’ve only gone a couple of the main threads and am still pretty early on in Act I or whatever it’s called, but it feels pretty good so far.

I do chuckle when I run into a village of struggling peasants and clear their town of supplies and materials though, lul.

• Haha 1

On 8/27/2021 at 8:24 AM, Kal-El814 said:

I’m not super great at games or anything, but Lethal really feels like the right difficulty to play on so far. Yeah you get dunked pretty quick but the enemies get rinsed fast as well, which feels pretty thematic.

I’ve only gone a couple of the main threads and am still pretty early on in Act I or whatever it’s called, but it feels pretty good so far.

I do chuckle when I run into a village of struggling peasants and clear their town of supplies and materials though, lul.

Hmmm I foresee and lethal playthrough in my future.

Well I decided to start this up this evening. After 2 hours of play I cannot get past a certain section because the game freezes.

I can move the camera around but that's it. I re-loaded old saves to get back there etc and it keeps freezing at that particular part.

Any suggestions? Do you think starting over would fix this? I'm kinda upset because I was looking forward to this.

25 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Well I decided to start this up this evening. After 2 hours of play I cannot get past a certain section because the game freezes.

I can move the camera around but that's it. I re-loaded old saves to get back there etc and it keeps freezing at that particular part.

Any suggestions? Do you think starting over would fix this? I'm kinda upset because I was looking forward to this.

Sensi Ishikawa quest where you are looking at the dojo?

• Shocked 1