~~The Flash season 7 OT.~~

11 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

Are they shipping Chester and Allegra?

They did it last week too, during the scene where Cisco and Kamilla were basically about to fuck each other in the coffee shop they had Chester and Allegra trading flirty glances at each other.

• 2 weeks later...

I’m getting strong “late season Smallvlle” vibes where there’s a lot of talk about big events that just aren’t depicted that way on screen. I know it’s a COVID year and everything’s hard so I don’t blame them. But it’s bizarre to hear about how it’s a war out there and then barely see any of it.

Also it’s still funny to me that Jessica Parker Kennedy is years older than Gustin and Patton. :p

Is Patton leaving the show? Her “appearances” the last few episodes have been weird.

1 hour ago, Kal-El814 said:

I’m getting strong “late season Smallvlle” vibes where there’s a lot of talk about big events that just aren’t depicted that way on screen. I know it’s a COVID year and everything’s hard so I don’t blame them. But it’s bizarre to hear about how it’s a war out there and then barely see any of it.

Also it’s still funny to me that Jessica Parker Kennedy is years older than Gustin and Patton. :p

Is Patton leaving the show? Her “appearances” the last few episodes have been weird.

Flash has been weirdly hamstrung by COVID compared to the other Arrowverse shows, they've all had elements that are obviously in response to COVID (like that small, loosely-spaced crowd at the bench dedication for Martha Kent) but they've all managed to avoid feeling too blatant about the scale of things being constrained by COVID.

3 minutes ago, Jason said:

Flash has been weirdly hamstrung by COVID compared to the other Arrowverse shows, they've all had elements that are obviously in response to COVID (like that small, loosely-spaced crowd at the bench dedication for Martha Kent) but they've all managed to avoid feeling too blatant about the scale of things being constrained by COVID.

Yeah.

Also do we think Ultraviolet is legit dead? There's been a lot of time spent with her, having her get rinsed would be weird.

1 hour ago, Kal-El814 said:

Yeah.

Also do we think Ultraviolet is legit dead? There's been a lot of time spent with her, having her get rinsed would be weird.

The overall writing level this season has been hamfisted enough that I think it may legit be that Ultraviolet's plotline was an O'Brien Allegra must suffer thing that sets up her going evil or temporarily rogue or something like that. What she said about how she should have picked helping her cousin over Team Flash sure seems like a lead-in for Allegra getting into SOME kind of conflict with them.

On 7/9/2021 at 12:19 PM, Jason said:

To me Flash has been off kilter since Crisis.

It was cool how big of an event Crisis was, but it ultimately served as mainly an exit for Arrow and the fact that it took up the first half-ish of the other shows seasons meant they were kind of on hold until after Crisis happened. Then Covid happened and cut the season short so Flash was well and truly spit roasted from both ends. So then this season had to start by finishing up the meh storyline from last season(which itself never had much to it because of Crisis).

On top of it all, the elimination of the multiverse was definitely a.....bold decision. It hasn't worked out great. 

That all said, while there has been some hamfisted writing this season I find the Godspeed and Nora stuff to be the first time the story has gotten interesting to me in a while. I really enjoyed the Reverse Flash and Nora stuff from a couple seasons back so I am interested to see what they do here.

This was one of the better episodes this season, which is saying something considering that what's happening with Iris is incredibly lulzy and contrived, I have no idea how what's going on with Joe is going to resolve itself in the finale or why we should even care about it at all, and the biggest consequence of the Speedster War seems to be that a flash mob (homina homina homina) might stage fight on the hood of your car.

Kidding aside, this WAS a really fun episode! :p

I had forgotten this was going to be the season finale. And apparently they weren't sure if there would be a season 8 while they were filming this since not all the contract negotiations were finished yet.

Fun episode but so many weird fucking decisions this season.

On 7/10/2021 at 10:50 PM, Chairslinger said:

It was cool how big of an event Crisis was, but it ultimately served as mainly an exit for Arrow and the fact that it took up the first half-ish of the other shows seasons meant they were kind of on hold until after Crisis happened. Then Covid happened and cut the season short so Flash was well and truly spit roasted from both ends. So then this season had to start by finishing up the meh storyline from last season(which itself never had much to it because of Crisis).

I though season 6 was going pretty solidly before COVID happened. The Bloodwork storyline was good and then the Mirror Master stuff clearly got massively screwed by COVID. There's no way that weaksauce clone Eva invasion was the planned conclusion of that storyline for instance, and apparently it was to the point where they were reusing old footage of crowds running around during an attack? I think they may have even looped it because you could see the same people running back and forth at points. It was presumably supposed to be mirror clones of everyone who'd gotten stuck in the mirror dimension launching a much larger-scale attack on the city.

Plus of the three episodes this season that were carryover from season 6 it was really just the third one that was crappy. I liked the first two. And with the way these shows tend to pace blowing their budget wads toward the end of their seasons it would make sense if the scale of the the first two episodes wasn't meaningfully impacted by COVID and it was just the finale that screwed by having to be massively down-scaled.

10 hours ago, Jason said:

I had forgotten this was going to be the season finale. And apparently they weren't sure if there would be a season 8 while they were filming this since not all the contract negotiations were finished yet.

Fun episode but so many weird fucking decisions this season.

Literally everything about the Kramer storyline could have been purged and the season would have been much better. I can normally find a silver lining to even the derpiest Flash subplots, but does anyone come out of this looking good or even better? Joe continuing to insist she’s a “good cop” despite no evidence to that end and plenty of evidence to the contrary was fine when I assumed it was leading to something positive. This? Just all bad. I can see where they were trying to go with the Forces storyline even if it ended up being kinda sloppy, I can forgive Barry having phone call chats with Iris given everything that was going on (even though it was pretty damn weird that Barry was convinced she was pregnant because of a dream? Have Barry’s dreams ever been relevant before? I can’t remember. And shouldn’t he know that they’re not “ready” to have kids based on how old X-S is? Whatever :p ), and the stuff with Dearborn is obviously harder to follow up on when you perp walk Ralph off the show for things they had no control over.

The show seems to have been hit REALLY hard by COVID and the timing of the cast negotiations. 

I gotta imagine season 8 is the last one, I think Gustin has a kid on the way. I wonder if a finish line will help them have a more focused season, whenever that is. The show can still be fun and I don’t need it to be really “meaningful” to be entertained; Legends leans hard in the other direction and is better off for it.

12 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

Literally everything about the Kramer storyline could have been purged and the season would have been much better. I can normally find a silver lining to even the derpiest Flash subplots, but does anyone come out of this looking good or even better? Joe continuing to insist she’s a “good cop” despite no evidence to that end and plenty of evidence to the contrary was fine when I assumed it was leading to something positive. This? Just all bad. I can see where they were trying to go with the Forces storyline even if it ended up being kinda sloppy, I can forgive Barry having phone call chats with Iris given everything that was going on (even though it was pretty damn weird that Barry was convinced she was pregnant because of a dream? Have Barry’s dreams ever been relevant before? I can’t remember. And shouldn’t he know that they’re not “ready” to have kids based on how old X-S is? Whatever :p ), and the stuff with Dearborn is obviously harder to follow up on when you perp walk Ralph off the show for things they had no control over.

The show seems to have been hit REALLY hard by COVID and the timing of the cast negotiations. 

I gotta imagine season 8 is the last one, I think Gustin has a kid on the way. I wonder if a finish line will help them have a more focused season, whenever that is. The show can still be fun and I don’t need it to be really “meaningful” to be entertained; Legends leans hard in the other direction and is better off for it.

Apparently the showrunner has said the Kramer thing was supposed to be a BLM storyline or something else about policing? :lol:  I suspect the actual reason was something about having too figure out how to avoid having too many people on set at the same time with COVID, or Jesse Martin (Joe) needing a smaller production bubble for health reasons that make him more at-risk from COVID, or something like that. And so much unnecessary shit with Allegra and Ultraviolet...but it helps reduce the number of people on set at once. And so much unnecessary shit with Frost and Chillblaine...but it helps reduce the number of people on set at once. Although el-oh-fucking-el seems like they just abruptly ended the Chillblaine stuff with a throwaway line from Frost in the finale, he was actually kinda-sorta seeming worth keeping around after he helped Frost fight the Godspeed clones, I wasn't really necessarily asking for more but it just feels worse that they're abruptly dropping him after so much unnecessary time on him.

Like I dunno, the closest that the other shows have come to this level of COVID dysfunction is the Supergirl Phantom Zone plot (and then the super abrupt resolution to it before they went back on break), and with that it's basically impossible to guess how much was COVID and how much was simply Benoist having limited availability due to having been on maternity leave. Probably a mix of both. Smaller production bubble --> less COVID risk for the new mom, but also lets Benoist film when she can without it holding up the rest of the production.

I'm convinced someone on Flash, be it the showrunner or someone else with enough sway to make it happen, was insisting on way more extreme COVID prevention measures than the other shows have been doing and then they got stuck trying to write around not being able to do even smaller-scale fight scenes. Gustin is a likely candidate given he may have been skittish since his child was due imminently while the season was being filmed, plus we didn't have the blatant NO TOUCHING rules with stuff like the Frost/Chillblaine fights.

And Legends actually does go for meaningful moments but they land because it's not 100% nonstop unearned attempts at faux-meaningful moments.

Oh yeah. Legends does go for meaningful moments but I don’t think it tries tho beat you over the head with them? It feels more organic to me at any rate. The Bud Stuy stuff with Behrad and Muslim representation was handled with more skill than Barry and Iris having paternal feelings for the forces and I feel like Legends is often trying to land on uneven ground.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...