Advance Wars 1+2: Re-Boot Camp [Coming April 21, 2023]

Keyser_Soze

Rally the troops! Advance Wars is marching to Nintendo Switch

Command an army in strategic, turn-based combat as a tactical adviser for the Orange Star Army. Your expertise is needed as you move land, air, and naval units across the battlefield. Take down enemy squads and capture towns and bases to secure victory and keep the peace.  Keep an eye on the game-changing terrain and weather as you lead a variety of units across multiple maps. This remake features two campaigns that cover the events of Advance Wars and Advance Wars 2: Black Hole Rising!

Fight alongside capable Commanding Officers

Defend your land with the help of Andy, Max, Sami, and other Commanding Officers, each with their own specialties and CO Powers. Andy can repair units, while Sami can boost the abilities of troops. Your opponents can use CO abilities of their own too! Throughout both campaigns, the COs you meet play a critical role both on the battlefield and in the story.

Recruit some friends and see who the superior strategist is

When you aren’t busy keeping the peace in one of the two campaign stories, flex your army-commanding chops in Versus Mode. Up to four players can battle on dozens of maps. Each player chooses a CO from either campaign and can strategically use their CO Powers to turn the tides of battle. Customize your combat with options like funds per allied base and fog of war.

Do we think this will feature online play?

Hopefully they make a shit ton of new war room and vs maps to help make the $60 price tag go down easier...

I literally just played through both of these games in emulation.

• Haha 1

Now I'm second guessing if I will even buy this. I still have my original game cartridges... I still have a DS lite and a 2DS I can play them on... I have these games on my Retro Pi and I can (and do) play these games on my laptop.

If they offer nothing new, why should I be in a rush to re-buy them? Graphics won't be enough...

My main motivation would be to send them a message that the world wants more Advance Wars stuff... but that feels a little silly, since as it stands now, with them selling this for $60, it has such a tiny chance of making any sort splash. They are setting this game up for failure...

Like seriously, how hard would it be to come up with a new campaign mode? There better be a bunch of new maps or something. GIVE US SOMETHING.

My two younger brothers and I used to play the multiplayer of the first few games via GBA connectivity all the time on trips. It was a blast. My younger brother loves the series and has played all the games' campaigns multiple times. He is ecstatic Nintendo finally remembered this series. Hopefully this sparks more Advance Wars stuff.

The second one is the best in my opinion. The first DS one was also good, but they started adding too much stuff. The 4th one got all dark and goofy.

The AI improved a lot, that the big advantage of the later games, but they added a lot of weird stuff, some of which worked and some of which didn't.

I was talking with a buddy about this earlier, and he brought up an interesting point. He asked why the battle sequences are done in 3D. Why ditch the 2D look? 

And I was like...that's actually a good point. 2D, HD sprite work would make this game look really good. And we know WayForward does great work in 2D, so why not?

I think the game looks fine as-is, but I think the visuals could have really "popped" with just straight 2D visuals for the entire thing. What do you guys think?

1 hour ago, GameDadGrant said:

I was talking with a buddy about this earlier, and he brought up an interesting point. He asked why the battle sequences are done in 3D. Why ditch the 2D look? 

And I was like...that's actually a good point. 2D, HD sprite work would make this game look really good. And we know WayForward does great work in 2D, so why not?

I think the game looks fine as-is, but I think the visuals could have really "popped" with just straight 2D visuals for the entire thing. What do you guys think?

Am I your buddy after what I posted in Crispy's thread?

2 hours ago, Brick said:

I have never played an Advance War game. Maybe I should get this to change that.

They’re fun strategy tactic games, more focused on unit production and location advantage than SRPGs. 

My only real problem with them is that bridges get super crowded, and it can be time consuming to push through.  Got better with larger maps in the DS games.

Dammit!!!

-Re-issued campaigns are fine as long as all the MP/Map Editor advancements from later games were included

-Days of Ruin had the best balance and gameplay, should have expanded on that

-Nintendo is the only major company that “remasters” and comes up with inferior graphics... Nintendo, the art design is great just make them HD

21 hours ago, ort said:

Now I'm second guessing if I will even buy this. I still have my original game cartridges... I still have a DS lite and a 2DS I can play them on... I have these games on my Retro Pi and I can (and do) play these games on my laptop.

If they offer nothing new, why should I be in a rush to re-buy them? Graphics won't be enough...

My main motivation would be to send them a message that the world wants more Advance Wars stuff... but that feels a little silly, since as it stands now, with them selling this for $60, it has such a tiny chance of making any sort splash. They are setting this game up for failure...

Like seriously, how hard would it be to come up with a new campaign mode? There better be a bunch of new maps or something. GIVE US SOMETHING.

Same, I still have them, and this seems like a money grab. 

Plus, with tabletop games like Aeronautica Imperialis, I'd rather spend my gaming time on that. 

I loved these games, but its not something I can get excited for unless there are massive upgrades.

9 minutes ago, 5timechamp said:

Dammit!!!

-Re-issued campaigns are fine as long as all the MP/Map Editor advancements from later games were included

-Days of Ruin had the best balance and gameplay, should have expanded on that

-Nintendo is the only major company that “remasters” and comes up with inferior graphics... Nintendo, the art design is great just make them HD

I like the new art.

I spend the bulk of my time in Advance Wars playing War Room and VS maps... so hopefully they either give us a bunch more of those... or they give us a level editor and an ability to browse and download user created levels... if they do that, then I am a happy camper.

The other "problem" is that our switch is beat to shit and is always being used by my kids... I may end up having to buy my own and then this could all turn very expensive very fast...

58 minutes ago, ort said:

I spend the bulk of my time in Advance Wars playing War Room and VS maps... so hopefully they either give us a bunch more of those... or they give us a level editor and an ability to browse and download user created levels... if they do that, then I am a happy camper.

The other "problem" is that our switch is beat to shit and is always being used by my kids... I may end up having to buy my own and then this could all turn very expensive very fast...

Lol. You're getting the games as they were. No extras, slightly updated visuals. 

• Haha 1

Well, the visuals are more than "slightly updated" but otherwise, you are probably right. I think my number one hope (and I think it's possible) is a community built map downloader. Like how you can rank and download popular fan-made Mario Maker levels.

I mean, like... seriously... how hard is it to make a bunch of new maps? Once you have the engine built and the graphics... making 2D strategy game maps is like the easiest thing in the world.

I think one of the DS games had the ability to download maps. Maybe via a code, I dunno, my memory is fuzzy on this one...

EDIT: Yes, Days of Ruin had this feature... from the Wikipedia page...

Custom maps[edit]

When players create and upload their own custom maps to the Wi-Fi Connection, these maps can be tested and given approval ratings by other players from around the world. Players can download randomly selected maps from the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection, or can choose maps based on their approval ratings. In order to upload a map, the player must win it once, and rate it based on its difficulty. The maximum size for uploadable maps is 10x10 tiles, and the player can only upload one at a time; if the player uploads another map, then the original one is replaced. Maps can have any dimensions between 30x30 and 5x5 tiles, and the game is able to store up to 50 custom maps.[11][12]

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ort said:

Well, the visuals are more than "slightly updated" but otherwise, you are probably right. I think my number one hope (and I think it's possible) is a community built map downloader. Like how you can rank and download popular fan-made Mario Maker levels.

I mean, like... seriously... how hard is it to make a bunch of new maps? Once you have the engine built and the graphics... making 2D strategy game maps is like the easiest thing in the world.

I think one of the DS games had the ability to download maps. Maybe via a code, I dunno, my memory is fuzzy on this one...

EDIT: Yes, Days of Ruin had this feature... from the Wikipedia page...

-The best part of Days of Ruin was being able to create bigger custom maps (not shareable online)

-CO Powers were finally implemented perfectly after running wild in Dual Strike (COs in battlefield)

-Battle experienced units leveled up

-best balance between range, indirect, direct combat units..

the more “serious” graphics didnt bother me as much as the bad blurry combat graphics

All the same I will get the remake... already looking forward to Sami “mech floods” and Kanbei battlefield dominations

My masterpiece was a giant Risk board world map, with each continent full of cities and with choke points so it played out just like Risk.

I remember the AI in days of Ruin to be light years beyond the older games. The AI is really bad in the early games.

1 hour ago, GameDadGrant said:

I may actually (re)boot these games up and get reacclimated with them. 

Anyone else still own these old games?

I gave away most of my GBA games at one point, but I think I held onto these two and the Fire Emblem games.