Jump to content

Metroid Dread - A Game 15 Years in the Making [10/08/21], update: Patch Ver. 1.0.1 released


Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

Shame Ryujinx is so wonky. I got Yuzu working in like 5 minutes and was able to instantly play the game at what seemed like full speed, but it doesn't allow raising the resolution. Also couldn't figure out how to get "unlimited" FPS, even though it wouldn't work in cutscenes anyway without being specifically modded to do so.

 

Ryujinx on the other hand I just couldn't get working at all. Kept throwing up error after error bitching about the same keys that Yuzu accepted without complaint.

if I pretend “Ryuninx” and “Yuza” are sexy cat women then this reads like one of bacon’s pornos

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

I have with every other Metroid, so probably. Do you have to jump your way around the whole game to fill out every map nugget?

 

No, this game makes it WAY easier to find items, though not necessarily to get them. Maps work differently in Dread than they did in previous games. When you download a map now instead of getting an actual map, you get more of a boundary of how large a section is. To actually fill out the map, you need to enter rooms. Once you've visited a room that piece of the map will blink indicating there's a secret somewhere within the blinking area.

 

Right now, I know where the last 10-20% of the items in my game are. I not only know where they are, I can see them and know exactly what to do to get them. Actually pulling it off is for someone a bit more patient than me.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

 

No, this game makes it WAY easier to find items, though not necessarily to get them. Maps work differently in Dread than they did in previous games. When you download a map now instead of getting an actual map, you get more of a boundary of how large a section is. To actually fill out the map, you need to enter rooms. Once you've visited a room that piece of the map will blink indicating there's a secret somewhere within the blinking area.

 

Right now, I know where the last 10-20% of the items in my game are. I not only know where they are, I can see them and know exactly what to do to get them. Actually pulling it off is for someone a bit more patient than me.

 

Ah right on. I was hoping that the game wasn’t doing a Symphony of the Night thing where you need to fill out every chunk of the map for completion.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Ah right on. I was hoping that the game wasn’t doing a Symphony of the Night thing where you need to fill out every chunk of the map for completion.

 

Nope. This game has exchanged hard to find secrets for hard to get secrets.

 

It's now stuff like gain booster speed through these doors while avoiding the enemies, press down to gather the boost energy while avoiding enemies, jump into the gap in the morphball, now blow up a couple of blocks, jump over a hole, and then shoot your way into the ceiling with the stored up boost energy from earlier...all while doing it fast enough to not lose your stored boost or accidently setting it off too early.

 

The game also gives you a flat percentage of secrets per area, so I know I have 85% of secrets in this section versus 100% in this other. A lot of good QoL improvements without really holding your hand or making it any easier than pay Metroid games. I'll trade upgrades that test your skills over upgrades that waste your time while you bomb every corner of the map for hours any day of the week.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Spoiler

Has Metroid always had the worst double jump in gaming? I just got it and from what I can tell, you need to be in a spin jump (which means having enough forward momentum before jumping... or hitting jump while in the air during a non-spin jump) and then you need to be at or past the apex of your jump before you can activate the second jump, and if you miss that timing it seems to punish you by disabling the ability to spin jump for like .25 seconds or something, so it feels weird and broken and unfinished. Double jumps are my favorite basic upgrade in any game, and seeing one butchered so badly is hugely disappointing.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:
  Hide contents

Has Metroid always had the worst double jump in gaming? I just got it and from what I can tell, you need to be in a spin jump (which means having enough forward momentum before jumping... or hitting jump while in the air during a non-spin jump) and then you need to be at or past the apex of your jump before you can activate the second jump, and if you miss that timing it seems to punish you by disabling the ability to spin jump for like .25 seconds or something, so it feels weird and broken and unfinished. Double jumps are my favorite basic upgrade in any game, and seeing one butchered so badly is hugely disappointing.

 

 

Spoiler

Double jumps here pretty much work the same way they've always worked in any other Metroid game other than the Prime games. They only work in the spin and either at the apex of your jump out anytime thereafter with a bit of a punish of you try to activate it prior to hitting your apex. There's a sort of rhythm to it.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

I hate it soooo much. Mainly because 

  Hide contents

I often use little skip-hop double jumps for more precise short-range platforming, so it totally throws off how I like to jump around in games.

 

 

Spoiler

It took me a minute to get reused to Metroid's spin boost.  Most other games are a lot more forgiving, but it was like riding a bike for me once it clicked. Same goes for Metroid-style wall jumping. Other games are far more forgiving and while the window isn't as tight as it is in Super Metroid, it's still not as forgiving as other games.

 

Metroid it's certainly leaning on we've done it this way for 30+ years, but I hear you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

 

  Reveal hidden contents

It took me a minute to get reused to Metroid's spin boost.  Most other games are a lot more forgiving, but it was like riding a bike for me once it clicked. Same goes for Metroid-style wall jumping. Other games are far more forgiving and while the window isn't as tight as it is in Super Metroid, it's still not as forgiving as other games.

 

Metroid it's certainly leaning on we've done it this way for 30+ years, but I hear you.

 

Wall jumping in Dread is shockingly easy… you just press jump when Samus is touching a wall, you don’t even need to hit the d-pad at all, do you?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Wall jumping in Dread is shockingly easy… you just press jump when Samus is touching a wall, you don’t even need to hit the d-pad at all, do you?

 

It is WAY easier than past Metroid games. I was more thinking about how, in spite of that, it isn't as forgiving as say Hollow Knight.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

You weren't kidding about some of the secrets being hard to get to. Maybe it's because I don't play much Metroid, but this really took me a minute to figure out.

 

  Hide contents

 

 

 

There’s actually an easier way to do this. 
 

Instead of using the fan to gain speed, go into the elevator room on the left to build up your boost. Now, you can still do what you did, but the easier way is just to stay in a morphball, go against the wall of the destructible blocks, and do a diagonal shinespark in ball form. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/11/2021 at 4:35 PM, Xbob42 said:
  Hide contents

Has Metroid always had the worst double jump in gaming? I just got it and from what I can tell, you need to be in a spin jump (which means having enough forward momentum before jumping... or hitting jump while in the air during a non-spin jump) and then you need to be at or past the apex of your jump before you can activate the second jump, and if you miss that timing it seems to punish you by disabling the ability to spin jump for like .25 seconds or something, so it feels weird and broken and unfinished. Double jumps are my favorite basic upgrade in any game, and seeing one butchered so badly is hugely disappointing.

 

Spoiler

I believe this is the first 2D Metroid to have a double jump. But yeah, I agree, the timing is not forgiving at all. It’s a strange upgrade too as it’s practically unnecessary given how late in the game it’s given to you and how soon you get another ability.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Bjomesphat said:
  Hide contents

I believe this is the first 2D Metroid to have a double jump. But yeah, I agree, the timing is not forgiving at all. It’s a strange upgrade too as it’s practically unnecessary given how late in the game it’s given to you and how soon you get another ability.

 

 

Spoiler

I understand the change. Since it's been so long since there's been a Metroid game, people might have to get used to the timing of the space jump. Instead of going from high jump boots to space jump, the game opted to go spin boost as training for the space jump. It's the exact same result; just instead of getting a high jump for those out of reach places you get the spin boost.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Finished the game yesterday. Really very enjoyable. There are a few places where the game could really give you more feedback (mainly on bosses) but it was a really fun ride. I imagine that some of the bosses are going to be really hard for people if they don’t go out of their way to look for energy tanks, Samus is always pretty squishy.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Finished the game yesterday. Really very enjoyable. There are a few places where the game could really give you more feedback (mainly on bosses) but it was a really fun ride. I imagine that some of the bosses are going to be really hard for people if they don’t go out of their way to look for energy tanks, Samus is always pretty squishy.

 

so even as its fresh in your mind.. where does this rate as far as Metroid games in concerned? the music is a bit of a letdown so far..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, 5timechamp said:

 

so even as its fresh in your mind.. where does this rate as far as Metroid games in concerned? the music is a bit of a letdown so far..

I'm only about 10 hrs in and the music is an afterthought. That's never been a strong point to Metroids anyway. Gameplay and exploration is what this series is all about and this game definitely gives you that and then some.

 

Well Prime had some decent tunes... 

  • True 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

Finished the game yesterday. Really very enjoyable. There are a few places where the game could really give you more feedback (mainly on bosses) but it was a really fun ride. I imagine that some of the bosses are going to be really hard for people if they don’t go out of their way to look for energy tanks, Samus is always pretty squishy.

 

How long did it take you to beat it? If I never played a 2-D Metroid game is this difficult with puzzles and such? I'm thinking about buying this after I beat FC6 but I'm nervous I'm not going to dig it. Also, I suck at games at my old age now. :(

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, 5timechamp said:

 

so even as its fresh in your mind.. where does this rate as far as Metroid games in concerned? the music is a bit of a letdown so far..


My only real criticisms are, in no meaningful order:

 

1) lack of feedback in a couple key points, mainly around boss damage and phases

2) the music is absolutely a letdown 

3) some of the power ups are kind of middling in terms of their use

 

In terms of ranking, accounting for the 2D ones only (I don’t think I ever relayed any Prime games, oddly enough, so I’ll just ignore them), from worst to best:

 

Metroid

Other M
Metroid 2: Return of Samus

Metroid: Samus Returns

Metroid Fusion

Metroid Dread

Metroid: Zero Mission

Super Metroid

 

I’m biased and it’s hard to imagine anything will ever top Super Metroid for me. The next 3 will probably switch depending on mood and how Dread replays go. I think everything from Samus Returns on is very good, and the bottom 3 are fine but flawed in meaningful ways. 
 

4 minutes ago, best3444 said:

 

How long did it take you to beat it? If I never played a 2-D Metroid game is this difficult with puzzles and such? I'm thinking about buying this after I beat FC6 but I'm nervous I'm not going to dig it. Also, I suck at games at my old age now. :(


8.5 hours on the timer I think? Dunno if that “counts” deaths which may add another 30 - 45 minutes. 
 

As for puzzles, no, there really aren’t any. The ones some people are referring to above are to get optional power ups. The only “puzzle” is not knowing where to go but this game does a generally decent job at directing you to the area you need to be in, and it’s usually clear when you hit a dead end. 
 

This being your first Metroid might be weird? There’s a bunch of stuff that’s somewhat assumed knowledge, or at least it feels that way to me as someone who’s been playing this franchise for 35 years. This game does require more demanding timing for bosses than any other game in the series for sure, though. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:


My only real criticisms are, in no meaningful order:

 

1) lack of feedback in a couple key points, mainly around boss damage and phases

2) the music is absolutely a letdown 

3) some of the power ups are kind of middling in terms of their use

 

In terms of ranking, accounting for the 2D ones only (I don’t think I ever relayed any Prime games, oddly enough, so I’ll just ignore them), from worst to best:

 

Metroid

Other M
Metroid 2: Return of Samus

Metroid: Samus Returns

Metroid Fusion

Metroid Dread

Metroid: Zero Mission

Super Metroid

 

I’m biased and it’s hard to imagine anything will ever top Super Metroid for me. The next 3 will probably switch depending on mood and how Dread replays go. I think everything from Samus Returns on is very good, and the bottom 3 are fine but flawed in meaningful ways. 
 


8.5 hours on the timer I think? Dunno if that “counts” deaths which may add another 30 - 45 minutes. 
 

As for puzzles, no, there really aren’t any. The ones some people are referring to above are to get optional power ups. The only “puzzle” is not knowing where to go but this game does a generally decent job at directing you to the area you need to be in, and it’s usually clear when you hit a dead end. 
 

This being your first Metroid might be weird? There’s a bunch of stuff that’s somewhat assumed knowledge, or at least it feels that way to me as someone who’s been playing this franchise for 35 years. This game does require more demanding timing for bosses than any other game in the series for sure, though. 

 

I'm on the final boss, who is really loving my ass, and I'll agree with you on an three points.

 

This games most major weakness is lack of feedback when it comes to boss damage. There are some cases where I don't know if I'm even damaging someone, but I keep throwing missiles in their faces and they all eventually just die.

 

The music is...fine? It's atmospheric and I do like it. I'm not sure I've ever really enjoyed Metroid music outside of Super Metroid and a few tunes from the Prime games.

 

There's only one powerup that actually feels great when it comes to using it. The others are just kinda of eh when it comes how they feel, especially when armed with those powerups and running through previously explored areas.

 

One other complaint I have is that the blaster feels pretty dinky, no matter how it gets upgraded. Like I know that there are enemies I can now take out with a single blast later in the game, but since they become fewer as you progress and bosses never really take damage from it, the power scaling of the blaster feels off. I'd have preferred it if missiles were an on/off switch like it was in Super Metroid and others. Better yet, I think a better control scheme would have been weapon switch on L, grapple on R, fire on Y and ZR and free aim automatically triggering on use of the right stick.

 

That all being said, it hasn't stopped me from enjoying the hell out of this game. Enough so that I'm one bastard away from finishing the game so soon after launch.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The boss thing is weird, because something like Super Metroid handled it perfectly. Aside from not showing "progress" on the boss, the cues for when you're damaging bosses vs when you're not are not as overt as they should be. Some bosses are always vulnerable, and for those it's pretty obvious when you're hitting vs. when you're not IMO. But some of the bosses that can only be hit in certain situations? That's not always obvious especially when the timing window is small and you're as / more focused on staying alive compared to dealing damage.

 

I agree with the blaster comment. Just shooting stuff is rarely the best option compared to countering or using some of the other abilities. That's fine, it just makes the blaster powerups feel more like keys than weapons, if that makes sense.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, best3444 said:

If the game does a decent job in directing you to the correct location I think I'll be fine. Thanks for the impressions and details. Looks like I'll be getting this.

 

If you're ever lost, the map does a decent job of helping if you poke a bit. Let's say you found a door you can't open. The map will tag it as something like "locked ???" when you cursor over that door. Once you get the item that opens it, if you cursor over that door it'll say something like "locked, missile" if missiles are what opens it. So you're rarely more lost than remembering the latest ability you got and looking for parts of the map you couldn't get to before, even if the game / map never explicitly says "go to this specific chunk of the map."

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm not done with the game yet, but every single boss has flashed so far while taking damage, and has not flashed when not taking damage. Does that change later? 

So far I think my main complaints are that the exploration rewards, like in past Metroid games, are just really underwhelming. Why do I need like 200 missiles? Most bosses take like 30-40 and have little things that'll drop missiles and health mid-fight. Health's a little better but you eventually get so much it makes most enemies complete non-threats. You can just walk through so many rooms and just tank all the damage and then there's an energy refill or an infinite trash enemy spawn to fill you back up if you get really low.

 

I'd much prefer optional perks that upgrade/sidegrade my main upgrades. Don't really have too many specific ideas, but I mean I wouldn't complain about:

 

Spoiler

For example, all shots are charged but you can no longer rapid fire, there's a small (very small) cooldown between each shot.

You may double jump at any point in your jump arc.

Morph Ball keeps super speed momentum for turbo balls.

You charge your weapons and fire faster (auto-fire?) while in manual aim mode.

You can use your little phase teleport thing in any direction and while underwater/in morph ball mode.

Not necessarily those things exactly, but that kind of stuff would make exploration far more rewarding for me than +2 to missiles to my 9 trillion missiles.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

I'm not done with the game yet, but every single boss has flashed so far while taking damage, and has not flashed when not taking damage. Does that change later? 

 

No, but I could see how someone playing in handheld mode could struggle to differentiate between some bosses flashing because they took damage vs "sparking" because they're invulnerable. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, best3444 said:

If the game does a decent job in directing you to the correct location I think I'll be fine. Thanks for the impressions and details. Looks like I'll be getting this.

 

This game does an amazingly good job of pointing you in the right direction everytime you defeat a boss or gain a suit or weapon upgrade. The only times I've ever felt lost were in some of the EMMI rooms, but I figured that was sort of the point of them.

  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The metroid OST is all about help setting the tone and atmosphere of whats going on in the game. Which the games do a fantastic job of (I haven't started Dread yet)

Like when I think of the best SNES soundtracks I definitely don't think of this as one of them, but it is definitely iconic and helps sets the tone for Super Metroid the games would not be the same without it.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Nokt said:

The metroid OST is all about help setting the tone and atmosphere of whats going on in the game. Which the games do a fantastic job of (I haven't started Dread yet)

Like when I think of the best SNES soundtracks I definitely don't think of this as one of them, but it is definitely iconic and helps sets the tone for Super Metroid the games would not be the same without it.

 

 

Dread borrows heavily from Super, along other games in the franchise.

 

 

It all feels very Metroid to me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Metroid Dread - A Game 15 Years in the Making [10/08/21], update: Patch Ver. 1.0.1 released

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...