Metroid Dread - A Game 15 Years in the Making [10/08/21], update: Patch Ver. 1.0.1 released

Keyser_Soze

3 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Just wait until you get to Adam and he explains everything you already know and possibly spoils future events every time you talk to him.

I know you're being facetious, but I did chuckle when he did that in Dread when explaining that the EMMI will kill you after it already killed me like twice.

• Haha 1

A+ movement and combat feel. Samus is super agile and it's fun to move her around and combat doesn't feel slow and clunky like most other Metroid games. 

F- for cutscenes/different camera angles dropping the mostly smooth 60fps down to 30. What the fuck is with this awful trend? Nothing gets me immersed like wondering why the game suddenly looks like shit for no good reason. Having giant, obvious dividers between gameplay and cutscene hurts the presentation and sense of isolation so bad, I don't want to be thinking about Nintendo and their weird ass technical decisions while I'm exploring a dead planet. 

12 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I'm tempted to buy this on Monday when I'm off. I'm just intimidated by this genre and hope I don't constantly get stuck in areas. I never played any Metroid other than Prime so I'm a complete noob. :(

I'd say it was easier to get stuck in Prime back you had more dimensions to worry about. If you played Prime, you'll be fine.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I'm tempted to buy this on Monday when I'm off. I'm just intimidated by this genre and hope I don't constantly get stuck in areas. I never played any Metroid other than Prime so I'm a complete noob. :(

I gamefly’d so I can return it when I get stuck and frustrated af. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

I'm downloading it tonight

6 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

I know you're being facetious, but I did chuckle when he did that in Dread when explaining that the EMMI will kill you after it already killed me like twice.

You encounter him more times and he does the same thing (with different information). It's stupid.

Yeah he just straight up tells you about 3 different upgrades you don't have yet in one scene. Way to kill the fun of the surprise. Not knowing what I'm about to pick up is half the fun of a new ability. Although I really wish Metroid games would stop making you re-earn the same basic upgrades every game before doling out 2 or 3 new ones. Same thing that annoys me about more formulaic Zeldas. Don't make it feel like the same exact progression system!

The upgrades do come fast and frequently, though. Takes a little while to get the ball rolling but once you do it's non-stop upgrades. Can't say I was too happy about this one:

(Uhh, I'll use a spoiler tag even though there's nothing really to spoil in the image, it's not an ability, it's not anything! Unless like a generic background with a boring color is a spoiler)

Spoiler

KKjmI6V.png

This is fucking great though, it’s totally Metroid 5. I don’t recall Samus feeling anywhere near this smooth on Samus Returns but I did hate playing on 3DS especially by the time that came out. She feels fantastic just to move.

Loving the whole concept with avoiding the robots so far, I think a difference what I like this more than other games with a similar concept is

you can actually eventually kill them

early game spoiler there, but it makes it more fun for me.

I disagree with Xbob that the cinemas are terrible, I think they add to it put me more into it. The 30fps drop there doesn’t bother me so much here since Im playing handheld and they are so short,  I didn’t even notice until it was mentioned.

First boss was good but I’m a little concerned about no checkpoints in between boss phases, I’m afraid that’ll be a problem for my attention span later on.

I like how the game looks personally, especially when actually running on the switch screen at 720p, so glad it’s native. I think the place has kind of a cool crisp sterile yet mysterious look to it.

This is probably going to be goty material and that rad. I expected it to be good not great and so far I’m thinking it might lean towards the latter.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, stepee said:

This is fucking great though, it’s totally Metroid 5. I don’t recall Samus feeling anywhere near this smooth on Samus Returns but I did hate playing on 3DS especially by the time that came out. She feels fantastic just to move.

Having just played Samus Returns, it's close to Dread, but Dread is pure butter. I think Dread is just filled with so many tiny animations and subtleties that really add to the overall feeling of movement. There's really nothing else that feels quite like it.

As for the cutscenes, pretty sure most games drop cutscenes down to 24 or 30 fps. You can argue cinematic or not, but low frame rates are still the standard for telling stories across visual mediums.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bjomesphat said:

As for the cutscenes, pretty sure most games drop cutscenes down to 24 or 30 fps. You can argue cinematic or not, but low frame rates are still the standard for telling stories across visual mediums.

I was looking it up and real time cut scenes for Ghosts of Tsushima backwards compatible on PS5 were 60, but the Director's Cut capped them at 30. Then it looked like they went back to patch the PS4 version to cap them at 30 too. I guess they just want cut scenes to run at 30 even if they could easily run it at 60.

53 minutes ago, stepee said:

At least a cut to 30fps makes sense here since they are real time, unlike far cry 6 with its pre-recorded 30fps 1080p video just cuz.

With Far Cry 6 that's probably a data saving choice. Most people aren't going to notice it's running at 30fps and it cuts your video size in half.

1 hour ago, stepee said:

At least a cut to 30fps makes sense here since they are real time, unlike far cry 6 with its pre-recorded 30fps 1080p video just cuz.

I think it makes way less sense here. The game's already running at 60. Why the jarring transition? If some people don't notice it, that's fine. Then they wouldn't notice if it was at 60 either... so why choose the worse option? It has to be a performance thing, since a lot of the power ups actually do seem to cause some significant slowdown, I imagine the game is just barely on the knife's edge of performance and maybe the unique camera angles and fancy animations/particles in cutscenes just couldn't run smoothly at 60. If that's the case, that's fine I guess, it just feels so weird.

Although far more than that, I think it's just weird to have all these cutscenes in general. I think that's what's actually throwing me off. Has Metroid always been full of flashy cutscenes? I recall very few from Metroid Prime and I can't recall many from the 2D games I've played. Honestly the cutscenes "stealing" my boss kills is probably my least favorite bit. I do all the shooting and then Samus gets to do a fancy thing in a cutscene to actually kill the boss. Feels like I'm filling up a cutscene bar instead of depleting the boss' health.

Spoiler

I think killing the EMMIs is actually way more satisfying than any other boss fights because I fire the killing shot myself, even if they do all kind of play out the same so far. It's a nice split between a cinematic camera angle but the player still being in control and in danger.

15 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

I think it makes way less sense here. The game's already running at 60. Why the jarring transition? If some people don't notice it, that's fine. Then they wouldn't notice if it was at 60 either... so why choose the worse option? It has to be a performance thing, since a lot of the power ups actually do seem to cause some significant slowdown, I imagine the game is just barely on the knife's edge of performance and maybe the unique camera angles and fancy animations/particles in cutscenes just couldn't run smoothly at 60. If that's the case, that's fine I guess, it just feels so weird.

Although far more than that, I think it's just weird to have all these cutscenes in general. I think that's what's actually throwing me off. Has Metroid always been full of flashy cutscenes? I recall very few from Metroid Prime and I can't recall many from the 2D games I've played. Honestly the cutscenes "stealing" my boss kills is probably my least favorite bit. I do all the shooting and then Samus gets to do a fancy thing in a cutscene to actually kill the boss. Feels like I'm filling up a cutscene bar instead of depleting the boss' health.

Hide contents

I think killing the EMMIs is actually way more satisfying than any other boss fights because I fire the killing shot myself, even if they do all kind of play out the same so far. It's a nice split between a cinematic camera angle but the player still being in control and in danger.

Yeah, cutting the frame rate when it's already real time makes way less sense. At least when it's prerecorded it makes sense as a shave saving measure. At least it's not as drastic as Kena. In that game the cut scenes are down to 24fps.

Spoiler

Killing the EMMI is wildly satisfying. It's even more satisfying than successfully stunning one and running away.

1 hour ago, Ghost_MH said:

Yeah, cutting the frame rate when it's already real time makes way less sense. At least when it's prerecorded it makes sense as a shave saving measure. At least it's not as drastic as Kena. In that game the cut scenes are down to 24fps.

Reveal hidden contents

I meant that it makes sense in that the system isn’t powerful enough to do them at 60, so they cut it to 30 as it was the only option to display the cinemas they wanted to. Or maybe even they thought they would have a more powerful system on time, who knows  what the story is there.

With Far Cry 6 there is absolutely nothing stopping them from including higher res/fps cinemas or making them an optional download or include them with the ultra textures. 

So in the case of Metroid, they would have to tone down their vision to keep it 60fps (probably worth it, but I get it). In the case of Far Cry 6, they wouldn’t have to change anything, just allow people to download higher quality versions.

6 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

@Xbob42 Here's your frame rate fix :troll:

f3d6726557d9da860dc1c4aeafde2587.png
KOTAKU.COM

Only days after release, the latest entry in Nintendo's classic franchise is running in 4K using an emulator

Shame Ryujinx is so wonky. I got Yuzu working in like 5 minutes and was able to instantly play the game at what seemed like full speed, but it doesn't allow raising the resolution. Also couldn't figure out how to get "unlimited" FPS, even though it wouldn't work in cutscenes anyway without being specifically modded to do so.

Ryujinx on the other hand I just couldn't get working at all. Kept throwing up error after error bitching about the same keys that Yuzu accepted without complaint.

2 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Is anyone trying for 100% on this game. I've got at least 80% on every zone in the game. I'll probably skip the extra few upgrades I'm missing as they mostly seem to be really annoying speed booster puzzles. 

I have with every other Metroid, so probably. Do you have to jump your way around the whole game to fill out every map nugget?