Guardians of the Galaxy - Information Thread, update: March release for GamePass announced

Keyser_Soze

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Guardians of the Galaxy (26 October 2021) - Square Enix Attempts Mass Effect Instead of Destiny, update - even more gameplay videos
On 8/9/2021 at 12:05 PM, Rodimus said:

Why does this game seem to feel so sterial and cranked out?

I keep going back to this, something about it does seem so sterile, like I can’t explain what it is about this game. It’s like there is a “pep” missing, it feels like watching a play or something instead of a movie, idk, I can describe it ya.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Guardians of the Galaxy (26 October 2021) - Square Enix Attempts Mass Effect Instead of Destiny, update - YOU WANTED MORE GAMEPLAY VIDEOS, RIGHT?

Game Information

Game Title: Guardians of the Galaxy

Platforms:

• PC (Oct 26, 2021)
  • Nintendo Switch (Oct 26, 2021)
  • Xbox Series X/S (Oct 26, 2021)
  • PlayStation 5 (Oct 26, 2021)
  • Xbox One (Oct 26, 2021)

Developer: Eidos-Montréal

Publisher: Square Enix

Review Aggregator

OpenCritic - 82 average - 80% recommended

Critic Reviews

Gamerheadquarters - 10 / 10

Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy is a perfect joyride featuring action packed moments that are balanced with more emotive segments.

Saving Content - 5 / 5 stars

Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy is up there as one of the best experiences I’ve had all year. I compare this to the excellent Marvel’s Spider-Man, and he’s my all-time favorite character! A title I hold in high regard. Don’t hold out for these heroes; you’ll want this one in your collection.

Digital Chumps - 9.5 / 10

Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy subverts expectations. An expertly written and wonderfully acted script results in humor, drama, and heart, elevating the source material beyond its MCU trappings.

Gamers Heroes - 95 / 100

Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy is a Flarkin Fantastic game. It's easily the best game of the year so far. My only disappointment? We need more Lipless.

Life is Xbox - 95 / 100

Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy is overwhelmingly good. Eidos Montreal managed to create an authentic and incredible Marvel game that everyone will love. An epic original story, beautiful visuals, fantastic dialogue and an even better soundtrack. I used it in the introduction, but I’m using Star-Lords quote again: ”You Said It Yourself, B****. We’re The Guardians Of The Galaxy”

A must-play adventure. I take a deep bow for the developers as this is truly something special.

Multiplayer First - 9.5 / 10

The expectations that I had for this game were unsurprisingly low, and in fact, I had zero interest in even playing it. That would have been a major mistake on my part, and if you are someone who is jaded by the release of Marvel’s Avengers, rest assured Guardians of the Galaxy is everything you could want out of a Marvel Game. It’s fun, entertaining, and quite possibly one of the best games this year. I’ll say it, it might just be my personal Game of the Year.

PlayStation Universe - 9.5 / 10

Eidos Montreal has crafted one of the best superhero games to date. Their attention to world-building and characterization should be followed by many studios to come. The Exciting combat, which blends action RPG elements with strategic player commands, and breathtaking visuals and animations, is something to behold. But what truly sets this title apart is the fantastic writing, not just for the Guardians themselves, but for every character you come across. If you weren't a fan of the franchise before, Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy might just change your mind.

Stevivor - 9.5 / 10

While I went into Guardians with a good feeling I’d enjoy it, I was surprised by just how much fun I ended up having.

TechRaptor - 9.5 / 10

Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy is wildly entertaining, hilarious, full of heart, and an absolute blast from beginning to end.

Areajugones - Spanish - 9.2 / 10

Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy is the purest essence of chaos; a story that could perfectly take place in the wildest Las Vegas... if Las Vegas could wipe out the entire galaxy, they'd have shots and explosions all in and your friends would be rolling it to the minimum you turn to the other side. In essence: a fast-paced journey that will not disappoint absolutely anyone looking for a story to vibrate with, whether they are a Marvel fan or not.‎

XGN.nl - Dutch - 9.2 / 10

Despite a few technical hiccups, Guardians of the Galaxy is one of 2021's best games thanks to a fantastic story with amazing gameplay to boot. These Guardians really stand out from the movies even though they might similar. In many ways, Eidos has created Uncharted in space but with deeply satisfying combat mechanics that keep you entertained throughout.

Atomix - Spanish - 91 / 100

Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy is such a redemption after the disaster with Marvel's Avengers. Amazing gameplay, great story and stunning graphics, are some elements that makes the new Eidos game a must have.

SomosXbox - Spanish - 9.1 / 10

‎Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy offers a great single-player linear experience. With sublime artistic design, fun combat system, and outstanding script, Eidos Montreal's new title will delight any lover of narrative-based games. Yes, some aspects of the technical section are not as polished as they could be, but those problems are far from tarnishing the final result. We have had a huge smile throughout the journey of this fun game, enjoying its dialogues, its combat and soaking up its wonderful setting. And in the end, that's the most important thing for us.‎

AusGamers - 9 / 10

Oh, and your 13-year-old 80s mullet is the thing dreams are made of.

But Why Tho? - 9 / 10

Even with its faults that can easily be patched up, Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy is an absolute love letter to the property and one that any fan should be excited to play. Yes, the gameplay is excellent, but for this game, it's all about the characters. It's about small moments, big moments, and everything in between.

GRYOnline.pl - Polish - 9 / 10

Guardians of the Galaxy vs. Avengers? The latter doesn’t stand a chance. On the one hand, I should encourage you to buy GotG and send a clear message to the overlords that gamers still love single-player stories. On the other hand, I wish Eidos had spent this time making a third Deus Ex. Still, I had tons of fun with the Guardians, and I’d like to see a sequel.

GameByte - 9 / 10

Guardians of the Galaxy is one of the most enjoyable games you’ll play all year.

GameMAG - Russian - 9 / 10

Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy is an excellent story-driven game with compelling characters, nice humor, great narrative and amazing visuals.

GamingTrend - 90 / 100

Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy is the biggest surprise of the year, and joins Marvel's Spider-Man as one of the best Marvel video games in the last decade. The Guardians themselves steal the show, depicted perfectly, with a movie/comic-worthy story that will leave you laughing and crying. The combat is a lot of fun with plenty of strategies to use, even if it can get a little repetitive, and the setting and locations blow you away in scale and how incredibly detailed and beautiful they are. This Guardians team absolutely stands on its own, and just like the movie I'm hooked on a feeling.

Geeks & Com - French - 9 / 10

The interpretation done by Eidos Montreal of Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy came as a really nice surprise to me. I devoured every moment thanks to its endearing characters, the depth of the script and a good level of humour that put a constant smile on my face. Eidos proves once again that there is room for high budget linear games that are played solo. I had my fears like everyone else, but I came out very satisfied and can't wait to go back and redo some of my choices.

GotGame - 9 / 10

In the end, Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy is a serviceable action game elevated by its story and writing. While the gameplay isn't wholly original, it mixes the ideas in a way that keeps things entertaining and engaging. Yes, there's a few bugs here and there, but even the most frustrating moments were outweighed by the sheer fun. With a rock solid soundtrack, great threads and fantastic vocal performances, this is one adventure you won't want to miss. If you're a fan of the MCU films, this is a fresh new take that you'll settle into easily. For the comic book fans, it's even better.

Hardcore Gamer - 4.5 / 5

Looking back at E3 2021, many wrote off Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy. What Eidos Montreal and Square Enix showed seemed to miss the mark at every level.

IGN Spain - Spanish - 9 / 10

Eidos Montréal gives us one of the most interesting narrative games of recent times, always taking advantage of the medium's own tools to narrate. Knowledge and affection for the characters, entertaining combat, incessant surprises... one of the best of the year.

Jogazera - Portuguese - 9 / 10

Guardiões da Galáxia is one of the greatest experiences of 2021. Everything is awesome due to its well-tied story, memorable characters and a fun gameplay. The cherry on top of this awesome game is the Brazilian Portuguese localization.

MonsterVine - 4.5 / 5

Guardians of the Galaxy is a love letter to fans of the movies, comics, and just the cosmic side of Marvel as a whole. As a long time fan of all of these I had a big nerdy smile on my face the entire time.

PPE.pl - Polish - 9 / 10

Marvel: Guardians of the Galaxy is a piece of interesting story that ends maybe a little too quickly, but it provides a lot of fun. Good, linear and in the positive sense of the word "talked" production. For fans of Guardians of the Galaxy – a must-see production.

PSX Brasil - Portuguese - 90 / 100

Guardians of the Galaxy is the closest we've had so far to translating the uncompromised fun feel of a Marvel movie into video games. It's an incredibly fun title, with great storytelling and solid gameplay that, if it doesn't revolutionize, makes every hour invested in it worth it.

The Outerhaven Productions - 4.5 / 5 stars

Just amazing. Marvel's Guardians Of The Galaxy is a triumph in both the gameplay department and the story department. There are a few flaws here and there, mainly bug issues likely to be fixed in the day one patch, but they're not enough to dampen the experience in the slightest. A must-play, a wonderful game.

Twinfinite - 4.5 / 5

I cannot recommend playing Marvel’s Guardians enough for the experience it provides. Its decision to focus on story, characters, and ambiance instead of trying to throw in a bunch of content that pads the adventure results in an amazing game. It is right up there with the Arkham Trilogy and Marvel’s Spider-Man as one of the best superhero video games of all time.

We Got This Covered - 4.5 / 5 stars

Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy takes the action RPG and draws from both the films and comics to create a stunning gaming experience. With plenty of humor, an amazing soundtrack, and stellar gameplay, this is one of the best team-based comic book games ever.

Windows Central - 4.5 / 5 stars

Guardians of the Galaxy looks good, sounds great, plays well, and above all else, is an authentic experience based on Marvel's misfits.

Worth Playing - 9 / 10

Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy is an extremely fun little romp that is genuinely funny and heartfelt. It's fun to play, and combat maintains the feel of a team working together despite being technically only a single-player game. The only real downside is that it is a linear game, so the replay value depends on how much you enjoy seeing alternate outcomes to various cut scenes. If you're a fan of the franchise and don't mind that this doesn't matching the MCU version, then there's a whole lot to like in MGotG.

COGconnected - 89 / 100

Although over the decades comics have become ever more reflective of the complexities and concerns of contemporary life, in the end, they are still often the literary or cinematic equivalent of fast food: momentarily delicious, exactly what you need to fill the void, but not necessarily memorable or nutritious. Guardians of the Galaxy isn’t afraid of touching on some weighty themes, but they’re always secondary to an absorbing story, entertaining characters, and engaging action. Guardians of the Galaxy isn’t perfect, but overall, it’s a very effective translation of Marvel’s iconic band of misfits from page or screen into interactive entertainment.

Impulsegamer - 4.4 / 5

Marvel Guardians of the Galaxy aims high and hits the target perfectly by delivering a thoroughly enjoyable single-player action RPG as you control Star Lord and his his motley alien crew while kicking a** along the way.

The Games Machine - Italian - 8.8 / 10

Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy gets back to the classic singleplayer formula, steering away from the hybrid attempt of Marvel's Avengers and piecing together gameplay elements from Tomb Raider, Mass Effect and even Knights of the Old Republic to make a quite unique choral adventure.

Hobby Consolas - Spanish - 87 / 100

Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy is a solid action adventure that fans of this group of heroes will love. Although it is not surprising in its approach, it does many things well and manages to redeem itself in the eyes of lovers of the Marvel universe.

RPG Fan - 87 / 100

Marvel has a new champion in the video game realm, so make mine Guardians of the Galaxy.

Cultured Vultures - 8.5 / 10

Guardians of the Galaxy is a spectacular, albeit lengthy adventure with enjoyable mechanics and a surprisingly deeper story than what is on the surface.

DualShockers - 8.5 / 10

Guardians of the Galaxy is everything that Marvel’s Avengers should have been, offering players a single-player focused adventure with some of your favorite comic book characters. Mixed in with solid gameplay and continuous witty banter between your teammates, Guardians of the Galaxy will leave you already excited for what you would expect to be the inevitable sequel.

Game Informer - 8.5 / 10

A rarity in gaming that is at its best when the characters are rambling on

Gaming Nexus - 8.5 / 10

Guardians of the Galaxy sets a new high bar for interactive storytelling and jaw-dropping visuals. With an unparalleled attention to detail, Guardians tells a rollicking sci-fi story rooted in true human emotion. But the gameplay sections of this narrative masterpiece sometimes bog down the proceedings with merely okay combat and exploration. Definitely play this game, but with the understanding that Peter Quill just isn't that exciting in a firefight.

Infinite Start - 8.5 / 10

Despite having some bumps, the core story, character interactions, and setting more than make Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy worth playing. I found myself amused by Star-Lord’s antics, gripped by his past and curious about the future. Throw in some delightful songs, weird situations, and a fascinating setting that requires a team of at least some level of teamwork to accomplish and you have a game worth exploring.

PC Invasion - 8.5 / 10

The plot meanders and the game is somewhat too long, but it's still a great time and  well worth experiencing for Guardians fans.

Press Start - 8.5 / 10

Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy is pure blockbuster entertainment in much the same way as the MCU films. It might not push any boundaries in the genre, but it's a damned good Guardians game with a ton of heart and a clear passion for the property that shows. Eidos Montreal has clearly understood the strengths of its team and how they fit in with what fans love about the franchise to make the right calls. The result is an enjoyable ride and the most Marvel Marvel game around.

Sirus Gaming - 8.5 / 10

What Guardians of the Galaxy brings to the table is an entertaining combat system centered around combining team elements for optimal results, coupled with an excellent and meaningful upgrade system that all creates a fun gameplay loop. Throw in a remarkably clever and well-written story, and Guardians of the Galaxy becomes what I consider to be an exceedingly enjoyable and palatable game.

Xbox Achievements - 85 / 100

While it has one or two irksome flaws, Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy is, nonetheless, a fine solo experience, with characters that you'll enjoy spending time with, fast-paced combat, and an engaging original story.

ZTGD - 8.5 / 10

Guardians of the Galaxy is probably one of the biggest surprises for me this year.

Geek Culture - 8.4 / 10

The legendary band of misfits embarks on an adventure that is largely successful on all fronts, marking a new chapter for the Guardians of the Galaxy.

GamePro - German - 81 / 100

Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy provides fans with a fun action-adventure with small playful weaknesses.

Daily Mirror - 4 / 5 stars

Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy is a visually pleasing action-adventure that really captures what fans love about the series and the characters. The gameplay is very linear but the game makes up for that with its great script, cast and accessible gameplay. This will definitely be a fan pleaser no matter what medium you are a fan of.

Daily Star - 4 / 5 stars

Overall, this is a brilliantly fun, wild and upbeat action ride.

Digital Spy - 4 / 5 stars

It's also a shame that this game isn't a co-op experience to give you a chance to play along with a buddy or two and role-play as your favourite heroes, but we understand why the game is a solo experience. You have this chaotic mix of guns and banter as you feverishly button-mash to kill your opponents – this is exactly what we expected from a Guardians of the Galaxy game when we heard about it, and we love it.

EGM - 8 / 10

Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy may not be able to quite match the humor of James Gunn's MCU films, but it's packed with plenty of personality and decently fun (if not groundbreaking) combat. To its great credit, Eidos-Montréal's story-driven approach always keeps the focus on its ragtag team of heroes, making for a worthwhile and memorable trip to the Cosmic Marvel universe.

Easy Allies - 8 / 10

Guardians of the Galaxy offers a fresh take on the familiar team, filled with heart and humor.

Everyeye.it - Italian - 8 / 10

Whether or not you're a die-hard fan of the Multiverse's most ramshackle supergroup, let yourself be enchanted by the extravagant style and personality of the Guardians of the Galaxy, and set off with them for the stars.

Forbes - 8 / 10

I suppose we can now venture into the old “is Guardians worth $60?” debate. If you miss hyper linear story games with no live service BS, and are a big Marvel fan, then this might be the game for you. If you are hoping for Devil May Cry level combat and God of War type puzzles and exploration within a linear story, you will be disappointed. But I can safely say this is probably a better end product than most people were expecting, and that alone is a pretty big win for a game that felt like a bit of a risk and like it’s been lacking in buzz leading up to launch here. It has issues, but it gets a lot right, and pushes storytelling in ways I haven’t seen in this genre before.

Game Rant - 4 / 5 stars

Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy features an emotional yet hilarious story, immersive if insane decisions, and exciting if bloated combat.

GameSkinny - 8 / 10 stars

Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy is a surprisingly compelling single-player adventure that packs in some real emotion, despite a few shortcomings.

GameSpew - 8 / 10

It’s hard not to love Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy.

GamesRadar+ - 4 / 5 stars

Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy tells an utterly memorable story, with brilliant takes on the Guardians themselves, even if the gameplay could be more adventurous at times.

GamingBolt - 8 / 10

Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy might be by-the-numbers, but it's a consistently enjoyable experience with great characters and an engaging story, thanks to an excellent understanding of what makes this property tick.

God is a Geek - 8 / 10

Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy is a bit rough around the edges, but it's so fun to play, with a well-written and exciting story.

Hey Poor Player - 4 / 5

Despite some issues with bugs and shooting that could use a little more weight behind it, Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy tells a fantastic story that kept me glued to my seat until the very end. An excellent voice cast, killer 80s soundtrack, and strategic combat sweetened the deal. Anyone looking for a fun action game should consider checking it out, and for fans of the Guardians, this is an absolute must-play.

IGN - 8 / 10

Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy is yet another convincing example of how much fun a linear, no-frills, single-player campaign can be.

Kakuchopurei - 80 / 100

If you like space adventures as well as the bicker and banter of Star-Lord and the gang, Marvel's Guardians Of The Galaxy is definitely for you.

Metro GameCentral - 8 / 10

A surprisingly ambitious cosmic space adventure that excels the more it diverges from the movies, offering robust action, impressive visuals, and unexpectedly sophisticated storytelling.

PlayStation LifeStyle - 8 / 10

Despite some initial skepticism that they could pull it off, Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy is everything I want a Guardians of the Galaxy game to be.

Prima Games - 8 / 10

Ultimately, that’s what I enjoyed the most from the game, the vibes, and if you’re a fan of the Guardians franchise, the game does enough to distinguish itself from other iterations of these characters.

Push Square - 8 / 10

For as much uncertainty there has been surrounding Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy, the final game has delivered. Fun and frantic combat provide the basis for a long, extremely enjoyable campaign featuring the characters you love and the tracks your kids usually screw their noses up at. A great title that deserves to be expanded upon in the future.

RPG Site - 8 / 10

Eidos Montral has actually flarkin' done it - Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy may not be much of an RPG, but it delivers a heart-warming Marvel adventure that has an identity all its own.

Shacknews - 8 / 10

Square Enix and Eidos Montreal don't exactly pull this job off flawlessly. In fact, it gets ugly at points. Yet, oddly enough, that feels very appropriate for Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy.

The Loadout - 8 / 10

Guardians of the Galaxy shines when it focuses on the characters and the world around them. It might not be the most innovative game this year, but it excellently executes the tried-and-true linear action-adventure formula to deliver a great single-player experience.

TheGamer - 4 / 5 stars

Eidos-Montreal’s Guardians of the Galaxy is brilliant, but the one thing holding me back from giving it a higher score is how dated many of its conventions seem. The power cooldown has no plan B, QTEs are everywhere, and again… Eagle Vision. It’s a few years behind the times, even without George Michael's dulcet tones. It’s fun, but it certainly isn’t fresh, and for a lot of people, that will be enough. In some ways, it's an experience not to be missed. In others, it's an experience you've had before.

TrustedReviews - 4 / 5 stars

After stumbling out the gate with last year’s Avengers, Square Enix has managed to steady the ship with Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy. For the story alone, the game is well-worth playing, but it’s the abundance of lore, well-written dialogue and gorgeous locales that elevate it as one of the best Marvel games to date.

VG247 - 4 / 5 stars

You'll enjoy Guardians of the Galaxy if you go into it with the right expectations.

Wccftech - 8 / 10

Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy is a highly enjoyable action/adventure romp that never strays from the beaten path. You won't find any major experiments or innovations here, but you will experience a great adaptation of the beloved dysfunctional team of galactic superheroes. The story and characters are well written, the combat is fun (if perhaps a bit too easy), and the audio is excellent.

WellPlayed - 8 / 10

An experience that will satisfy gamers and Marvel fans alike, Guardians of the Galaxy is a fun action romp that tells an amazing story filled with loveable goofball characters.

3DNews - Russian - 7.5 / 10

Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy are good enough to entertain you for a few evenings. But I doubt you will ever want to revisit this journey.

Attack of the Fanboy - 3.5 / 5 stars

Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy absolutely nails the vibe and look, even if the middling story, technical issues, and repetition hold it back from being truly great.

CGMagazine - 7 / 10

Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy was a surprising experience. Though the game still has some bugs, and a few undesirable features, it comes packed with in-depth characters and an extensive storyline. If you have time to go for a very long virtual walk, this might be the game for you.

Digital Trends - 3.5 / 5 stars

Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy has some rough edges, but its solo team play mechanics are a perfect match for the dysfunctional superhero family.

Game Revolution - 7 / 10

Guardians of the Galaxy is a solid original story from Eidos Montreal that deviates from both the MCU and the comics, providing something for Marvel fans across mediums to enjoy. However, while it’s certainly a step up from publisher Square Enix’s Avengers, it suffers with its own notable bugs and glitches that detract from the on-screen action. The day one patch will hopefully tackle these problems, and if so this is a highly recommendable superhero game that doesn’t quite step it up like Insomniac’s Spider-Man series, though still does right by its unlikely group of misfit anti-heroes.

GameSpot - 7 / 10

Eidos-Montréal's Guardians of the Galaxy digs into the weird side of Marvel comics to deliver a fulfilling story about the titular heroes.

Gameblog - French - 7 / 10

Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy is a fun trip accross the galaxy alongside comics' most famous motley crew. Eidos Montreal totally nailed the tone of this one and it's a pleasure to watch and hear the team evolve over time. The game's dialogue is very well written with some genuinely funny lines (and great voice acting). All the while telling a touching story. We just wish the game's combat would have been a bit more inspired and polished.

Gamepur - 7 / 10

Despite its mechanical flaws, in depicting a story of flawed characters, it’s hard to pass up on Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy. This title feels free of franchise-building and shady business practices. While it tries to ape on your familiarity with the property, it somehow all stands on its own. The visuals, lovable characters, and the promise of hijinx in space are inviting, but within this off-beat exterior is a solid emotional core.

IGN Korea - Korean - 7 / 10

This is the second game to be published as a Marvel I.P. under SquareEnix. Unlike the previous game based on the Avengers, this is more focused towards action and adventure. Players control Starlord and command his teammates to accomplish various puzzles and defend against waves of enemies. Although some parts may sound repetitive, constant trash talk among the guardians turn chores into more pleasurable strategies during combat. There are multiple branching outcomes based on some decision making phases but after around 15 to 20 hours of completing the main story, there isn’t much to do after which makes multiple playthroughs obsolete.

Niche Gamer - 7 / 10

Eidos-Montréal proved in their Deus Ex games that they are masters of environmental story telling, and in Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy, the developers go all out.

PC Gamer - 70 / 100

A surprisingly good time when you're not forced to reload your checkpoint after a game-breaking bug.

PCGamesN - 7 / 10

Guardians of the Galaxy mostly nails the quirky tone and characters that Marvel fans will be hoping for. Otherwise strong presentation is marred by a few too many visual glitches, but if you can tolerate these and some repetitive combat, it's worth a look.

Paste Magazine - 7 / 10

I kept chugging along through its story and its battles without either ever feeling like much of a chore. Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy doesn't have the ingenuity or spark of James Gunn's movies, but it should do just enough to keep you interested on a lazy afternoon when you don't have anything else to do. That's a perfectly fine role for a game to fill, and this game is perfectly fine with filling it.

Screen Rant - 3.5 / 5 stars

Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy delivers fun.

Seasoned Gaming - 7 / 10

Fans of super heroes have an enjoyable title here, and die hard Guardians fans will be enamored.

Siliconera - 7 / 10

Can the Gardeners of the Galaxy save the flarking universe? Magic 8 Ball says "I am Groot."

Spaziogames - Italian - 7 / 10

Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy is like a tie-in of 15 year ago with corridors, forced paths to follow and little arenas in which you must fight enemies in the same way. Marvel's fan will adore references, easter eggs and cameos, but it's not enough to make this project shine like a new star in the galaxy.

Washington Post - 70 / 100

Even if Quill sounds like a surfer bro, surfer bros can sometimes be among the most earnest people you’ve ever met once you actually get to know them. The same goes for Quill and co. Their personalities may seem like the stereotypes you’ve always heard, but spend a bit more time with them, and you’ll be glad you did.

Destructoid - 6.5 / 10

When it gets going and it’s firing on all cylinders, it’s fun. But it’s also exceedingly linear and many of the choices it offers are surface-level at best. Treat it like an arcadey weekend romp and you’ll be fine: bonus points if you already adore these lovable little bandits.

Guardian - 3 / 5 stars

Simplistic, repetitive interactions drag on an otherwise engaging story based on the Marvel franchise

TheSixthAxis - 6 / 10

Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy is a great portrayal of the space-faring heroes and a good game. We encountered some annoying bugs that are hopefully alleviated with patches, and it's pretty linear, but this is an interstellar romp that you can enjoy across a few evenings.

ACG - Buy

Video Review - Quote not available

Console Creatures - Recommended

Everything about Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy could have gone terribly wrong, instead, it delivers one of the most surprising and entertaining games this year.

Eurogamer - No Recommendation / Blank

Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy is enjoyable enough at times, but weighed down by a deluge of unnecessary systems and bullet-sponge combat.

One More Game - Buy

Eidos Montreal has managed to take the appeal of the MCU's Guardians and crafted an alternate universe that is just as interesting, and easily worth expanding on for future installments. For their latest adventure, this dysfunctional team of superheroes has definitely made a splash and we're definitely all in for more adventures with Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy.

Polygon - Polygon Recommends

Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy is the biggest surprise of the year

Rock, Paper, Shotgun - Unscored

A heroic action adventure that's simple, but full of surprises and little details. Unmissable for Marvel fans, but also a solid buy if you're just after a good time.

Skill Up - Unscored

The A.V. Club - Unscored

Really, Guardians Of The Galaxy is just like the ragtag space heroes it revolves around. It has a lot of messy bits that overcomplicate things, it lets interpersonal conflicts get in the way of its action and its story, and you may get a good laugh from its characters one second and then wish they would leave you alone the next. But, again, like the Guardians, it works because of those messy bits, not despite them.

The Escapist - Unscored

The Game Fanatics - Unscored

Guardians of the Galaxy was a great experience that I cannot wait to play through the story again. The characters were portrayed perfectly in my opinion and the voice acting was stellar. Coming off of an Avengers game that some were a little hesitant about, Square Enix had a lot to prove with this title. This shows that future Marvel games are in really good hands. I look forward to more content for Guardians of the Galaxy and potentially a sequel in the future. If you haven’t spent much time learning about the Guardians of the Galaxy, this is a great jumping-off point. There is a lot of lore to be discovered in this game and it makes me want to go back and read some of the comics. There are so many potential characters that could be explored now. An Antman game by Square Enix could be pretty good.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Guardians of the Galaxy (26 October 2021) - Square Enix Attempts Mass Effect Instead of Destiny, update - reviews from OpenCritic posted
3 minutes ago, Dre801 said:

Nice to see it doesn't suck; I'm still unlikely to bother with it, but good to know that Square didn't publish a second Marvel-licensed turd.

I wonder if this had dlc originally and they reversed coarse after the poor Avengers reception largely being tied all the service elements. 

Though, I do actually agree with @skillzdadirecta that if you just go in to Avengers and ignore all the bs micro whatever’s there is a super fun game there. I ignored any sub system bs as much as I could and played it similarly actually to how this seems paced, and it was just a fun time. Also was a gorgeous game with great asset variety.

11 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Game Information

Game Title: Guardians of the Galaxy

Platforms:

• PC (Oct 26, 2021)
  • Nintendo Switch (Oct 26, 2021)
  • Xbox Series X/S (Oct 26, 2021)
  • PlayStation 5 (Oct 26, 2021)
  • Xbox One (Oct 26, 2021)

Developer: Eidos-Montréal
Publisher: Square Enix

Review Aggregator

OpenCritic - 82 average - 83% recommended

Critic Reviews

Gamerheadquarters - 10 / 10

Saving Content - 5 / 5 stars

Gamers Heroes - 95 / 100

PlayStation Universe - 9.5 / 10

Stevivor - 9.5 / 10

TechRaptor - 9.5 / 10

Areajugones - Spanish - 9.2 / 10

XGN.nl - Dutch - 9.2 / 10

Atomix - Spanish - 91 / 100

SomosXbox - Spanish - 9.1 / 10

AusGamers - 9 / 10

But Why Tho? - 9 / 10

GRYOnline.pl - Polish - 9 / 10

GameByte - 9 / 10

GameMAG - Russian - 9 / 10

GamingTrend - 90 / 100

Geeks & Com - French - 9 / 10

GotGame - 9 / 10

Hardcore Gamer - 4.5 / 5

IGN Spain - Spanish - 9 / 10

Jogazera - Portuguese - 9 / 10

MonsterVine - 4.5 / 5

PSX Brasil - Portuguese - 90 / 100

The Outerhaven Productions - 4.5 / 5 stars

Twinfinite - 4.5 / 5

We Got This Covered - 4.5 / 5 stars

Windows Central - 4.5 / 5 stars

Worth Playing - 9 / 10

COGconnected - 89 / 100

Impulsegamer - 4.4 / 5

The Games Machine - Italian - 8.8 / 10

Hobby Consolas - Spanish - 87 / 100

RPG Fan - 87 / 100

Cultured Vultures - 8.5 / 10

DualShockers - 8.5 / 10

Game Informer - 8.5 / 10

Gaming Nexus - 8.5 / 10

Infinite Start - 8.5 / 10

Press Start - 8.5 / 10

Sirus Gaming - 8.5 / 10

Xbox Achievements - 85 / 100

ZTGD - 8.5 / 10

Geek Culture - 8.4 / 10

GamePro - German - 81 / 100

Daily Star - 4 / 5 stars

EGM - 8 / 10

Easy Allies - 8 / 10

Everyeye.it - Italian - 8 / 10

Forbes - 8 / 10

Game Rant - 4 / 5 stars

GameSkinny - 8 / 10 stars

GameSpew - 8 / 10

GamesRadar+ - 4 / 5 stars

GamingBolt - 8 / 10

God is a Geek - 8 / 10

Hey Poor Player - 4 / 5

IGN - 8 / 10

Kakuchopurei - 80 / 100

Metro GameCentral - 8 / 10

PlayStation LifeStyle - 8 / 10

Prima Games - 8 / 10

Push Square - 8 / 10

RPG Site - 8 / 10

Shacknews - 8 / 10

The Loadout - 8 / 10

TheGamer - 4 / 5 stars

TrustedReviews - 4 / 5 stars

VG247 - 4 / 5 stars

Wccftech - 8 / 10

3DNews - Russian - 7.5 / 10

Attack of the Fanboy - 3.5 / 5 stars

CGMagazine - 7 / 10

Digital Trends - 3.5 / 5 stars

Game Revolution - 7 / 10

GameSpot - 7 / 10

Gameblog - French - 7 / 10

Gamepur - 7 / 10

IGN Korea - Korean - 7 / 10

Niche Gamer - 7 / 10

PC Gamer - 70 / 100

PCGamesN - 7 / 10

Paste Magazine - 7 / 10

Screen Rant - 3.5 / 5 stars

Seasoned Gaming - 7 / 10

Spaziogames - Italian - 7 / 10

Destructoid - 6.5 / 10

TheSixthAxis - 6 / 10

ACG - Buy

Console Creatures - Recommended

Eurogamer - No Recommendation / Blank

One More Game - Buy

Polygon - Polygon Recommends

Rock, Paper, Shotgun - Unscored

Skill Up - Unscored

The Escapist - Unscored

Jesus, how long did it take you to format this entire post?!?

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Chris- said:

Jesus, how long did it take you to format this entire post?!?

3 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

First time you've seen him post metacritic scores in a thread?

1 minute ago, Chris- said:

That one seems especially long though!

I don't have to format a thing :p

OpenCritic allows for the export of bulletin board code that all I have to do is copy n' paste :p

13 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Anybody else playing this? I'm having a ball. Great graphics and a great take on the Guardians and Marvel lore. Some genuinely funny dialouge in here too. I'm just starting chapter 5 and I'm really digging the gameplay and and story. Playing on the next to hardest difficulty.

Me! Me! I started yesterday but had to do some leg stuff and then just wanted to lay in bed because of pain. The first chapter was pretty good so far. I’m REALLY liking the writing so far, it’s a step beyond most games.

The first area that I’ve seen is just a garbage dump so not too exciting but yeah graphically at least on pc it’s definitely bumping something off of the top 10, getting some rachet quality vibes here. The space fights look CRAZY.

Combat is smooth and fun so far but again I’m only in the first chapter so I just haven’t seen or gotten much. The first chapter was mostly kinda chill, no greater stakes or anything have been brought on yet and I only saw a garbage dump, but I think I made the right call jumping on the GMG preorder price.

Im feeling the VIBE, and think I’m going to really get into this, can’t wait to play more after home health leaves. 

10 minutes ago, stepee said:

Me! Me! I started yesterday but had to do some leg stuff and then just wanted to lay in bed because of pain. The first chapter was pretty good so far. I’m REALLY liking the writing so far, it’s a step beyond most games.

The first area that I’ve seen is just a garbage dump so not too exciting but yeah graphically at least on pc it’s definitely bumping something off of the top 10, getting some rachet quality vibes here. The space fights look CRAZY.

Combat is smooth and fun so far but again I’m only in the first chapter so I just haven’t seen or gotten much. The first chapter was mostly kinda chill, no greater stakes or anything have been brought on yet and I only saw a garbage dump, but I think I made the right call jumping on the GMG preorder price.

You did. I'm on Chapter 7 and @ARZ is right behind me and the game just gets better. Apparently the choices you make DO affect the gameplay in some ways as @ARZ and I are discovering.

• Like 1

Having played both, it's pretty similar to the Avengers single player campaign except much more lighthearted and funnier. While Avengers has better overall combat than this, this game is better at utilizing the team mechanic. Probably because this game didn't have the extra burden of multiple player characters and co-op. As I've said repeatedly, ignore all of the looter post game stuff in Avengers if you want and just play the single player campaign and story DLC's. That stuff is really good. Avengers stumbles in its post game stuff mostly due to repetition and poor implementation of the loot mechanic. 

• Thanks 1

It’s picking up now and yeah what a pleasant surprise this is. I kind of like this cast better then the movie one. Seems like stuff is just about to start really happening and I’m finally at a real city (hope I get to explore it) and I have some unlocks that make the combat more fun and efficient (mostly perfect dodge helped a lot).  It really does do a great job making you feel part of a team while at the same time giving you full character action game control. 

Im torn if I want this game do well or not, on one hand I have a feeling I’m going to want to hang out with this group again, on the other hand imagine a new Deus Ex with these graphics. :o

The weird vibe I got from the trailers ended up translating to a mostly positive thing so far when playing the game. It’s certainly nothing at all like a Mass Effect, I think early comparisons there created a dissonance for me when watching clips. It reminds me more of a team based Uncharted in space or something. Which actually really rules and delivers a constantly flowing narrative that is a nice change of pace right now.