~* Tripe/Counter-Tripe *~

9 hours ago, thewhyteboar said:

It should be no surprise to anyone, but Republicans are terrible fathers. No wonder the entire party lacks any semblance of empathy.

The absolute biggest asshole I ever worked with loudly and proudly proclaimed that he had never changed a diaper for his three kids, that was his wife's job, he has his job where he worked and brought home the money

8 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

The absolute biggest asshole I ever worked with loudly and proudly proclaimed that he had never changed a diaper for his three kids, that was his wife's job, he has his job where he worked and brought home the money

I remember my parents had some family friends and the dad said he never changed diapers cause they were too gross.

They're now divorced.

54 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

I know. That's what's silly about the whole thing. In Spanish people are starting to say Latines because there's no plural without an O or A 

Are you aware of any objections within the Latin community if a non-Latin uses the term "Latin" rather than Latino/Latina in order to be gender neutral?

@Joe - same question for you, please.

17 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Are you aware of any objections within the Latin community if a non-Latin uses the term "Latin" rather than Latino/Latina in order to be gender neutral?

You can't use Latin in Spanish to describe people, it doesn't make sense. "Somos Latin" is like saying "Me gusta Appliances."

You can say "Somos Latin-Americanos" but you moved the O, are people gonna add an X to every O?

Latines solves this. Using "Latin" is Spanglish not Spanish.

What about "Soy un Mexicano." Do we have to say I'm Mexicanx? Mexicane? Just Mexican? I'm just speaking English now. It's all dumb honestly.

Brasilex lol

13 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

You can't use Latin in Spanish to describe people, it doesn't make sense. "Somos Latin" is like saying "Me gusta Appliances."

You can say "Somos Latin-Americanos" but you moved the O, are people gonna add an X to every O?

Latines solves this. Using "Latin" is Spanglish not Spanish.

What about "Soy un Mexicano." Do we have to say I'm Mexicanx? Mexicane? Just Mexican? I'm just speaking English now. It's all dumb honestly.

Brasilex lol

I understand the issue for Latins, but I'm speaking for non-Latins myself who want to use a non-gendered descriptive in English.

For example, saying "He is Latin" instead of "He is Latino".

Just now, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I understand the issue for Latins, but I'm speaking for non-Latins myself who want to use a non-gendered descriptive in English.

For example, saying "He is Latin" instead of "He is Latino".

Ah, yes that's fine I guess. I don't think anyone identities as "Latin" but people would be like "oh ok the white boy doesn't know don't worry about correcting him it's too long of a conversation"

3 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

It honestly might be jarring to some at first, but I was just at a BBQ this weekend when an Ecuadorian-American said in response to someone “you know I’m Latin, right?” So it’s definitely a phrase some Latinos use.

30 minutes ago, Joe said:

It honestly might be jarring to some at first, but I was just at a BBQ this weekend when an Ecuadorian-American said in response to someone “you know I’m Latin, right?” So it’s definitely a phrase some Latinos use.

That depends on the phrasing. Like asking "Are you Latin" v "Are you a Latin" 

Like you can't say "what does the Latins community think" v "what does the Latino community think"

28 minutes ago, Joe said:

I can guarantee some right-wing douche made this pic and I hate it.

Also good to get @Ghost_MH’s take on this. I know he says he uses Latinx.

There are two pools of my family. My grandmother pool that like "Que diablo es Latinx. That's not Spanish." Neither is clóset, but that's never stopped anyone in our family. The other is "Yeah, I guess LGBTQ people like it better. Whatever." I've never met anyone that actually had a real opinion on the matter other than right-wing douches. Those right-wing douches could totally be Latinx as well. There are plenty of them. Also, me referring to them as Latinx just triggered the whole lot of them.

• Thanks 1