~* Tripe/Counter-Tripe *~

Kind of related to that, but my gf got into an argument with friends the other day for making the statement "Hitler wasn't evil, and people shouldn't say that he was." Obviously without context that statement sounds bad, but her argument (which I agree with) was basically this: To say that someone is evil is to say that they are not normal. To call someone evil is to take away their humanity, and to take away their human motives. It also helps separate their actions from what we ourselves could possibly do. So say that he performed evil actions or ends, but don't say that he himself was evil. He was a human, and what he did could be done by anyone, including you, under the right circumstances. Saying he was evil makes it easier to excuse bad actions by ourselves and others.

19 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

Kind of related to that, but my gf got into an argument with friends the other day for making the statement "Hitler wasn't evil, and people shouldn't say that he was." Obviously without context that statement sounds bad, but her argument (which I agree with) was basically this: To say that someone is evil is to say that they are not normal. To call someone evil is to take away their humanity, and to take away their human motives. It also helps separate their actions from what we ourselves could possibly do. So say that he performed evil actions or ends, but don't say that he himself was evil. He was a human, and what he did could be done by anyone, including you, under the right circumstances. Saying he was evil makes it easier to excuse bad actions by ourselves and others.

Counter-point: good people sometimes need to do things that run contrary to what they believe makes them good people, in order to defend from not-good people; the rhetoric of evil may risk dehumanization but a little bit may be necessary for good people to act.

I swear the Koch brother/s gathered all the right wing politicians and media personalities in a room a few years ago and offered up a prize of 1 billion dollars to whoever can show themselves to the the dumbest fucking person alive. Today, Laura is in the lead.