Monark - NIS Takes a Stab at a Persona-Like? (Available now!)

Keyser_Soze

Follow your ego and control the madness in MONARK! Your school has been engulfed in a mysterious and deadly Mist, and only you can save everyone inside. Develop your Ego and lead your forces into battle to break the pacts set by the nefarious Pactbearers, but take care not to delve too far, lest you risk losing yourself.

• 1 month later...

Gotta say, I've been over the "character introduced with their name on screen as a 2D portrait slides in over gameplay that looks barely anything like the 2D art" for well over a decade, and the fact that it's still the norm in Japan is quite disappointing. It just makes every game I see like this seem like a cheap throwaway piece of trash, because most times I try games like this, that's exactly what they are: low budget garbage for people with nothing better to play.

1 hour ago, Xbob42 said:

Gotta say, I've been over the "character introduced with their name on screen as a 2D portrait slides in over gameplay that looks barely anything like the 2D art" for well over a decade, and the fact that it's still the norm in Japan is quite disappointing. It just makes every game I see like this seem like a cheap throwaway piece of trash, because most times I try games like this, that's exactly what they are: low budget garbage for people with nothing better to play.

So...you’re in for this?

And I dunno, Vanitas looks pretty spot-on.

24 minutes ago, GameDadGrant said:

So...you’re in for this?

And I dunno, Vanitas looks pretty spot-on.

Usually for me to buy a game that looks bad it has to have at least one thing that strikes me as unique or interesting or... good. This just looks like any other games of its type, of which I buy pretty much none. The fact that it looks like a Dollar Store Persona actually makes me less interested instead of more. That and the word "ego" 50 times in the reveal trailer. I notice some Japanese devs really like to show off that they read a single book or like a single author. Sometimes it works in a weird way, like Marx and Engels in Nier. Sometimes, like here, it's like "okay we get it, Freud. Next? Oh, ego again? And again?" This one tickles them twice over because they also love Latin, so you get a literature reference AND Latin! Wowee!

See, even though I'll probably never play this game, I can still give at least one paragraph about why I think it's pedestrian, cliche bullshit!

• Haha 1

• 6 months later...
  • Keyser_Soze changed the title to Monark - NIS Takes a Stab at a Persona-Like? (Available now!)
35 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Getting solid mid 6s. I forgot what I was going to type because I'm watching the video you just posted and holy shit "hopeless and irredeemable" at 1:50 sums it up! At least for the voice acting.

Strangely I thought of you when I heard the voice acting too, at least form the dude. I know you love your English voice acting. Hope you enjoy every minute!