Tiny Tina's Wonderlands - Information Thread, update: Steam release announced for Thursday

It was the best DLC for BL2. I just wonder what this is being designed to be. Is it just a big campaign that they can expand on, like the Borderlands games, but it all takes place in this fantasy table top world, or is it being designed to be replayed over and over and over maybe with some of of random procedural generation.  

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Tiny Tina's Wonderlands (25 March 2022) - Gameplay Reveal Trailer

My first real play through of Borderlands 2 came from the Handsome Collection after getting it with PS+ a couple years ago. 

So all the DLC was just thrown at me in a lump from pretty much the beginning of the game.

Maybe that's why I found most of it forgettable except for the Assault on Dragon Keep. 

It wound up being definately my favorite DLC, and perhaps my favorite part of the entire game. So I am loving the look of Wonderlands. Seems like they are even expanding the weapons and abilities a bit to fit in with the Fantasy setting.

• 1 month later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Tiny Tina's Wonderlands (25 March 2022) - "Welcome to Wonderlands #1: Stabbomancer and Brr-Zerker" trailer
  • 1 month later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Tiny Tina's Wonderlands (25 March 2022) - Official Story Trailer
  • 1 month later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Tiny Tina's Wonderlands (25 March 2022) - "Welcome to Wonderlands #2 - Clawbringer & Spellshot" and "Welcome to Wonderlands #3 - Spore Warden & Graveborn" trailers
  • 1 month later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Tiny Tina's Wonderlands (25 March 2022) - "Official Gameplay Walkthrough" (20 minutes)
5 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Gotta be honest... the amount of constant talking in that video kinda turning me off to the game. The entire time I was watching it I really wanted the goblin to shut the fuck up. I get that it's Tiny Tina and that's kinda her thing but damn.

Hopefully it's just because they were cutting out most of the in-between gameplay and just showing us the key moments.

This looks pretty interesting to me damn it. I can wait for reviews but my game buying has really ramped up. I've been buying quite a few switch and 3ds games, along with many Steam games and 2 day one series x games. This after really keeping my wallet closed for the most part, especially the end of 2021 and early 2022. I guess you could say I've completely fallen off the wagon hard!

Sucks really. I have a 649.99 preorder on a Steam Deck and would buy a ps5 first chance I get! Luckily though I dont even really try to find a ps5 even though I want one. I'm good on consoles, I fall asleep every night telling myself that...lol

• 2 weeks later...

Game Information

Game Title: Tiny Tina's Wonderlands

Platforms:

• PC (Mar 25, 2022)
  • Xbox Series X/S (Mar 25, 2022)
  • PlayStation 5 (Mar 25, 2022)
  • Xbox One (Mar 25, 2022)
  • PlayStation 4 (Mar 25, 2022)

Developer: Gearbox Software

Publisher: 2K Games

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - 80 average - 83% recommended

Critic Reviews

Game Informer - 9.5 / 10

Wonderlands is upbeat and fun from start to finish, offering a rewarding adventure filled with goofy characters, imaginative bosses, and a great sense of ownership over your character through it all.

PowerUp! - 9.2 / 10

Tiny Tinas Wonderlands is a love letter to pen & paper RPGs...with guns and is an absolute winner

Gamersky - Chinese - 9.1 / 10

Tiny Tina's Wonderlands is Gearbox Software's new attempt at looting shooter game. It builds a vast and magnificent fantasy world and tells a light-hearted but not clichéd adventure story. It is a complete upgrade of the "Build" system under the framework of the Borderlands franchise and offers new possibilities for the future of the series with a highly replayable endgame mode.

COGconnected - 90 / 100

Although it uses the Borderlands 3 engine and reprises several characters from earlier games in the franchise, Tiny Tina’s Wonderlands does a great job of separating itself from its brethren. With a focus on high fantasy and cheeky humor that constantly pokes fun at RPG traditions, Tiny Tina’s Wonderlands also doesn’t stray far from them, at least mechanically. Great writing, pitch perfect acting and frenetic action dominate the game, but exploring the nooks and crannies of the colorful overworld and detailed dungeons is equally satisfying. I had a blast in the Wonderlands and can’t wait to see what else the irrepressible Tiny Tina has in store for us.

GamingTrend - 90 / 100

Tiny Tina's Wonderlands presents a fresh take on Borderlands, retaining the core of the series while adding some fun new twists both in its setting and gameplay.

God is a Geek - 9 / 10

Tiny Tina's Wonderlands may not win over many new fans, but it refreshes the existing formula and re-injects it with humour and heart.

Hardcore Gamer - 4.5 / 5

Tiny Tina's Wonderlands is the best way to change the Borderlands formula and quite possibly the best Borderlands game to date.

Hobby Consolas - Spanish - 88 / 100

Wonderlands injects a dose of RPG and madness into the "looter shooter" formula. The result is a game full of surprises and good ideas, and the most complete and fun Borderlands to date.

AusGamers - 8.5 / 10

In the end, Tiny Tina’s Wonderlands is a confident and very welcome step forward for the Borderlands series.

CGMagazine - 8.5 / 10

Tiny Tina’s Wonderlands brings a mystical world to life with a great dialogue and a stellar cast. Pairing all that with action-packed gameplay, Gearbox Software and 2K Games have made a must-play game.

Checkpoint Gaming - 8.5 / 10

Tiny Tina’s Wonderlands surprises and delights with its evolved gameplay and stunning world. There’s a confidence and charisma here that goes beyond what came before it, with spells and class abilities weaving themselves effortlessly between the cathartic gunplay. A cast of likable main characters and a storytelling technique that’s unique and smart both go a long way in creating a world that’s just fun to be a part of. Minor glitches and a rather unfortunate online matchmaking system do hurt the title, but the successes here far outweigh any inconveniences. Tiny Tina’s Wonderlands stands out as a great title, even amongst the many we’ve seen already this year.

MMORPG.com - 8.5 / 10

Tiny Tina’s Wonderlands isn’t a masterclass in game design or storytelling, but it is a notable improvement over Gearbox Studio’s previous entries. Multiple quality of life additions, like holding down the melee button to just keep swinging as well as changing the Mayhem Mode difficulties to the new and less confusing Chaos Levels, are a great step forward. The weapons feel more inventive than before, and the addition of spells make combat more fun and engaging. It’s unfortunate that the story fails to live up to the events in Assault on Dragon’s Keep but it’s still more memorable than what Gearbox has recently done. The fact that Chaos Runs are randomized and offer a rogue-like mix already makes it one of the strongest launches for endgame play.

Wccftech - 8.5 / 10

Tiny Tina's Wonderlands offers some new aspects of the series, with more of the classic, almost unbeatable gunplay and wild combat encounters. It is a vibrant, slightly disjointed world ripe for exploration and trouble. Although it misses a few marks, it's a spinoff series fans will enjoy and high fantasy fans will inevitably laugh or roll their eyes at.

Attack of the Fanboy - 4 / 5

Wonderlands is a funnier and more focused version of its predecessors.

Destructoid - 8 / 10

Tiny Tina’s Wonderlands is more Borderlands, and the lighter fantasy fare might actually get people to dive in for the first time. With that in mind, it’s still more Borderlands, so the same basic formula isn’t going to magically change your stance if you’re a lapsed fan.

Digital Trends - 4 / 5

Tiny Tina's Wonderlands is the freshest that Borderlands has felt in years.

GamesHub - 4 / 5

Tiny Tina's Wonderlands boasts impressive sights, sounds and characters, with gorgeous worlds illuminated by the polish and performances backing the game.

GamesRadar+ - 4 / 5

An entertaining and silly mix of fantasy and shooting, with a great cast making up for a slight lack of variety.

IGN - 8 / 10

Tiny Tina's Wonderlands is a fantasy-themed Borderlands spin-off that's hilarious, action-packed, and ridiculous, even if it plays it a bit safe.

INVEN - Korean - 8 / 10

"Tiny Tina's Wonderland" is a game that you can enjoy even if you have never played the "Borderland" series. Various guns, which are characteristics of the existing series, remain the same, and the magic spells added this time, melee weapons, and multi-classes have been combined to make the game much interesting. The humorous story and attractive characters are still there, and the charm has been upgraded with the voiceover dubbing. First of all, it's so fun that I don't know if time is going.

Kakuchopurei - 80 / 100

Long story short: immerse yourself into the Wonderlands if you fancy a long-term first-person shooter loot-driven RPG experience. You won't regret it.

PCGamesN - 8 / 10

Still recognisably Borderlands, but the sense of place and improvisation elevates Tiny Tina's Wonderlands beyond expectations. The overworld map feels tacked-on, but Gearbox commits to the bit in every other aspect.

Press Start - 8 / 10

While Tiny Tina's Wonderlands doesn't offer a vastly different experience from what came before, it does venture outside of its comfort zone enough to establish its own identity. It's an excellent extension of the already great Assault On Dragon Keep, and is a worthwhile adventure for any fan of the series, with extensive build crafting, an entertaining cast of characters, and a world worth exploring.

Screen Rant - 4 / 5

Tiny Tina’s Wonderlands is an excellent example of how the looter shooter genre can innovate.

Shacknews - 8 / 10

Tiny Tina’s Wonderlands does enough to solidify its place among the better entries in the Borderlands franchise.

Twinfinite - 4 / 5

While the gameplay felt familiar, Tiny Tina and the rest of the main cast carry this one on their backs through witty, fun dialogue that stayed consistently entertaining throughout the campaign.

Windows Central - 4 / 5

Tiny Tina's Wonderlands takes the classic Borderlands formula and puts its own spin on it in a mostly successful attempt to blend fantasy and sci-fi. Though the ending didn't land as well as it could have, the entire journey is well worth playing.

Worth Playing - 8 / 10

In the end, Tiny Tina's Wonderlands is a solid spin-off to the main Borderlands series. The core game remains the same as before, but new additions, like the melee system and class combinations, make things feel fresh. The campaign runs at a good length, while the side-quests and post-game dungeon randomizer are enough to keep you going before the need for DLC kicks in. It really is the shooter that you already know with a medieval RPG skin on it. Since the moment-to-moment gameplay is still enjoyable, fans won't mind the offbeat detour.

XGN.nl - Dutch - 8 / 10

Tiny Tina’s Wonderlands looks a lot like Borderlands 3 and plays a bit like it as well. Luckily, the Wonderlands offers up a fantastic setting full of great enemies and humor that hits a lot better. It's a shame the Overworld feels so unnecessary, although there is plenty of fun to have thanks to the bigger focus on customization.

Spaziogames - Italian - 7.8 / 10

Those of you looking for an impressive looter shooter fantasy should highly consider purchasing Tiny Tina's Wonderlands. Just don't expect a revolutionary experience or maybe an actual Borderlands 4.

GameByte - 7.5 / 10

I’m going to be honest here and say that Tiny Tina’s Wonderlands doesn’t make the best impression. Despite a fantasy-themed facelift and a bigger emphasis on character freedom, the issues that plagued previous entries in the series are still too numerous for it to feel like a substantial change. However, I’m still finding things to enjoy in it which, even as a Borderlands skeptic, at least makes it worth the price of admission for anyone playing this with friends.

TechRaptor - 7.5 / 10

A perfectly fine addition to the Borderlands series with some great new mechanics and a delightful theme, but it is practically the same as its predecessors for better or worse

GameSpot - 7 / 10

Tiny Tina's Wonderlands retreads the same mechanical and narrative ground as Borderlands 3, ultimately creating a chapter in the franchise that's fun but forgettable.

Gameblog - French - 7 / 10

Tiny Tina's Wonderlands is a nice spinoff from the main Borderlands series. While the class system is pretty enjoyable, most of the game is still based off classic Borderlands title, and as such, there isn't much new stuff to feat on. The overall game is still pretty decent with lots to do, and that lovely sense of humor.

IGN Spain - Spanish - 7 / 10

Tiny Tina's Wonderlands is a parody of the role-playing board game Borderlands that, as a spin-off, fulfils both in terms of gameplay and the new progression systems, delivering a fun and addictive proposal that is halfway through the interpretation of its overworld. A remarkable game that I enjoyed, beyond the heavy text, because in the shooting and aesthetics it shows its greatest virtues.

PC Gamer - 70 / 100

Better than Borderlands 3, but not quite reaching the heights of Borderlands 2 at its best.

Stevivor - 7 / 10

Wonderlands itself works on a couple levels.

EGM - 6 / 10

The best and worst thing about Tiny Tina's Wonderlands is that it feels like another Borderlands game. The shooter gameplay is as tight and responsive as ever, the weapons are fun to use, and the writing is a marked improvement over Borderlands 3. The characters are once again at the center of the game's comedy, and the performances are great (when the actors are actually committing to their roles). But, because this is more Borderlands, a lot of the same annoyances with the series persist, especially when it comes to inventory management and the sheer amount of meaningless loot. Really, Wonderlands' worst offense is that it can't get over the series' legacy of looting and shooting, and misses the opportunity to take real inspiration from the tabletop worlds that it parodies.

Game Revolution - 6 / 10

Wonderlands is the safest, most paint-by-numbers, product-of-the-time game I’ve played in a while, and a serving of the same thing Gearbox has been dishing up for 10 years minus the humor. It’s the absolute opposite of avant-garde and simply reuses the Borderlands formula without improving on it in any tangible manner. While it’s more tolerable as a multiplayer game given that you’ll more readily be able to overlook its story and writing, it’s still a disappointing spin-off that takes away more from the source material than it gives back.

ACG - Wait for Sale

Some fun to be had, but it is hard to shake the feeling that the premise doesn't get used as much and that a lot of it feels more like a mod than a full title.

Eurogamer - No Recommendation

Despite an endearing commitment to its relentlessly positive tone, Tiny Tina's Wonderlands almost feels designed by a dice roll.

One More Game - Buy

Tiny Tina's Wonderlands is certainly aimed at the looter-shooter crowd wanting a familiar formula wrapped in a crazy comedic package anchored by spectacular performances from the cast. However, players looking for something that's a lot more different, disappointment might set in because this is basically Borderlands in everything but name. There are a ton of guns to use and choose from, and while the feel isn't as solid as other shooters out there, Tiny Tina's Wonderlands delivers well enough in other areas to merit a playthrough.

Polygon - Polygon Recommends

Tiny Tina’s Wonderlands breathes weird, new life into the stale franchise

Skill Up - Unscored

Video Review - Quote not available

The Escapist - Unscored

Video Review - Quote not available

Washington Post - Unscored

When you’re playing “Wonderlands,” you’re playing a “Borderlands 3” spinoff with fantasy elements. But, crucially, you’re also experiencing what it’s like to be part of a D&D group — and the many twists and turns that come with it.

I've played through the main 3 games. I always tell myself I'll go back into NG+ and do the end game content but never do. I'll probably get this on sale at some point. I'm balls deep into Elden Ring still and know that's getting a second playthrough once the first is finished so I'm good on new games for awhile. 

Borderlands 2 is one of my favorite games, but Borderlands 3 was disappointing IMO feeling like a step backwards in almost every way. Tiny Tina’s Wonderlands looks better, but it’s not something that I need to play on day one so I’ll get it after it’s been out a while and has dropped in price. It looks like a good $40 or less game, but not $60.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Tiny Tina's Wonderlands (25 March 2022) - reviews from OpenCritic posted

Torn on this one, and am going to wait to see what my friends decide.  Loved BL1 and 2, but none of us really found 3 all that compelling as the loot just wasn't all that fun.  Still beat it, but never went back for the DLC despite having the season pass.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Tiny Tina's Wonderlands - Information Thread, update: "Coiled Captors" DLC launch trailer
  • 2 months later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Tiny Tina's Wonderlands - Information Thread, update: Steam release announced for Thursday