John Wick: Chapter 4 (24 March 2023) - Official Trailer

1 hour ago, stepee said:

I’ve never seen these so I decided to watch all three back to back yesterday and it was a fun evening! With the cliff hanger at the end of chapter 3, I’m glad I only have to wait 4 or so months!

They are a lot of fun and the perfect vehicle for Mr. Keanu Reeves.

• True 1

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

The first John Wick film was a lean, supremely well-executed 101 minutes.

The second film was 122 minutes.

The third film was 131 minutes.

There's been a distinctly inverse relationship between the overall quality of each subsequent installment and its run time.

Exactly... there is ZERO reason why this movie should be so long. The best action films are lean and to the point. See The Raid. The Raid 2 was long and bloated as well. A lean action flick should be around 100 minutes, two hours TOPS. This isn't the fucking Godfather.

38 minutes ago, silentbob said:

yeah, I might be there in theatres for this. If not, it’s for sure gonna come home with me via 4K disc

Oh I'm definitely gonna see this in theaters despite the length AND buy the 4K disc. I have the other three already and will be marathoning before seeing this. I DO love the universe they're building.

• Halal 1

23 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Exactly... there is ZERO reason why this movie should be so long. The best action films are lean and to the point. See The Raid. The Raid 2 was long and bloated as well. A lean action flick should be around 100 minutes, two hours TOPS. This isn't the fucking Godfather.

In your professional experience, would you say that effective editing for "genre films" is becoming a lost art?

15 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

In your professional experience, would you say that effective editing for "genre films" is becoming a lost art?

Effective editing for MOST films is a lost art. I remember my editing teacher warning about this back when I was in film school and he's been proven to be right in my opinion. A LOT of films today are too long for no reason and would probably be better served at being limited series on TV than trying to squeeze a 5 hour story into three hours.  I'm VERY sensitive to pacing and run times... Shit, I see it in gaming. I'm enjoying God of War Ragnorok's gameplay and exploration, but I couldn't care less about the story at this point because it's starting to feel like they had four hours of story for the main quest that they stretched out in order to pad the length. I could be wrong, but I don't really feel compelled to move the main story because I'm enjoying the gameplay so much and I just don't care. But to answer your question, yes editing is an art that doesn't get the respect it deserves... in my humble opinion.

• Halal 1

10 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Shit, I see it in gaming. I'm enjoying God of War Ragnorok's gameplay and exploration, but I couldn't care less about the story at this point because it's starting to feel like they had four hours of story for the main quest that they stretched out in order to pad the length. I could be wrong, but I don't really feel compelled to move the main story because I'm enjoying the gameplay so much and I just don't care.

This mirrors my identical feelings about God of War: Ragnarok as well.  The game is FAR too bloated for its own good and I'm finding my motivation to keep playing beyond the 35+ hours that I've put into it so far to be waning.

The second and third John Wick films were already pushing my tolerance level and the notion that SOMEHOW the fourth film is worthy of a nearly three hours-long run time is absolutely ludicrous to me.

• Halal 1

16 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

A LOT of films today are too long for no reason and would probably be better served at being limited series on TV than trying to squeeze a 5 hour story into three hours. 

Yeah if you want thorough storytelling just do it like these Korean shows. 20 episodes, 90 minutes each, if some guy tears off a piece of toilet paper in the first episode the show will make sure you know he wiped his ass with it by the final frame of the last episode :p

• Halal 1

21 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Yeah if you want thorough storytelling just do it like these Korean shows. 20 episodes, 90 minutes each, if some guy tears off a piece of toilet paper in the first episode the show will make sure you know he wiped his ass with it by the final frame of the last episode :p

You see it less in American TV than films. I think we're coming out of a golden age of American television where TV has long surpassed films in telling effective entertaining stories. I can't remember the last movie that blew me away. I've seen plenty of films that I've enjoyed in the last ten or so years, but very few that have knocked my socks off. Shit I've probably seen five TV shows in the last six months that are some of the best shows I've ever seen. Television has caught up to and in a low of ways surpassed cinema and one of the reasons is Directors not being disciplined enough to reign in their worst, most self indulgent impulses. Blame Cameron, Tarantino and to a lesser extent Nolan for this. I love all three but a lot of directors aren't as talented as them but still make films just as long if not longer.

• True 1

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Unfortunately, the description that comes to my mind when I think of "The Raid 2: Redemption" is "unnecessarily bloated".

This all-but-confirms that I'll watch this one at home.

I’m with you on the bloat. Great fights but few and far in between too much drama. First work because it was lean almost pure action movie. I’ll see this maybe in theatres as the last hour of film is said to be the best thing to see in theatres in a very long time. This coming from several reviews I had read

• Halal 1

I like the epic and ensemble nature of The Raid 2 whilst still loving the lean action of the first Raid. They are different kinds of movies, both work when done well. Runtimes don't matter, whether the movie is well-paced and well-edited are what matter. I've watched three hour movies that felt like they flew by and I've watched 90 minute movies that felt interminable.

• Halal 1
  • Hugs 1

Saw it in IMAX last night and it really does pump up the John Wick formula to 11. It is a very impressive feat of Gun-Fu choreography with plenty of moments that had my audience cheering out loud. If you've enjoyed John Wick movies in the past, this is a very worthy culmination of that series. They don't waste too much time on the increasingly arcane world building with the bulk of that runtime devoted to John Wick wasting guys.

Also, maybe it's just because I've been doing an increasing amount of color work on my own photos, but I'm pretty sure that this is the most heavily graded film since Fury Road.  Every frame is more saturated and pushed further towards that famous movie poster look than nearly any film I can think of.

• Thanks 1