"Berserk" manga creator Kentaro Miura passed away on May 6 at age 54

Looks like Young Animal had finally cancelled Duranki...

A22804-1252411192.1574447382.jpg
WWW.ANIMENEWSNETWORK.COM

Manga gets compiled book volume on December 24 // The October 1 issue of Hakusensha's Young Animal Zero magazine confirmed on Monday that Duranki (Duruanki),...

I'm actually surprised this one has been cancelled, but Berserk's cancellation has yet to be announced. Duranki was specifically set up for his assistants to have something they could turn into their own thing. I know Miura was storyboarding the manga, but I figured they'd be able to continue it without him. Studio Gaga isn't closing, so I'm guessing they're trying to figure out if there's anyway to complete the Berserk from his notes and such.

The last chapter of Berserk was released a few days ago and I think I'd be fine if it ended there. It's not a major cliffhanger and, while there are certainly a while ton of loose threads dangling about, it wouldn't be such a terrible place to leave them unfinished. I'm sure Studio Gaga ended it there because of that reason and they're now trying to figure out if there's any way to see Miura's vision through to its completion.

Either way, Berserk ends up being the longest running series I've followed. If it continues, cool. If it doesn't then Hajime no Ippo will catch up and take its place eventually.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Yeah I read this yesterday and find it puzzling. I hope they aren't building up to disbanding or something, but I'm still not sure how I feel even his assistants continuing his work. 

The last chapter was certainly setting things up for a final arc. My assumption coming out of it was that either they all get dragged into greater war when it reaches them or they head out to end the Hawk's war against non-humans. In the end, I don't see how they stay together. They each have their own dreams. Eventually they're going to part ways.

Either way, the last chapter wasn't actually done. A far as I can tell, his assistants finished it up for him after his death. Berserk not having been canceled while Duranki is clearly canceled leads me to believe they really do want to continue the series, but they aren't really sure how. The only thing we know about the end of Berserk is that it was always supposed to have a more hopeful, though maybe not exactly happy, ending.

Miura always seemed like he had a story he wanted to tell and he formed Studio Gaga to make that story happen. He doesn't seem like the type that would want his fans to not see the story finished. However, it's also really difficult to follow up and complete the work of a legend. I don't envy the position they're in.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

The last chapter was certainly setting things up for a final arc. My assumption coming out of it was that either they all get dragged into greater war when it reaches them or they head out to end the Hawk's war against non-humans. In the end, I don't see how they stay together. They each have their own dreams. Eventually they're going to part ways.

Either way, the last chapter wasn't actually done. A far as I can tell, his assistants finished it up for him after his death. Berserk not having been canceled while Duranki is clearly canceled leads me to believe they really do want to continue the series, but they aren't really sure how. The only thing we know about the end of Berserk is that it was always supposed to have a more hopeful, though maybe not exactly happy, ending.

Miura always seemed like he had a story he wanted to tell and he formed Studio Gaga to make that story happen. He doesn't seem like the type that would want his fans to not see the story finished. However, it's also really difficult to follow up and complete the work of a legend. I don't envy the position they're in.

All of this is my take as well. I agree, they seem to want to continue Berserk but aren't sure how. I'm not sure how they can do it either. I am glad we got one more chapter at least if nothing else.