Impressions for FFXV

best3444

I played it and beat it. 

I think the game is a big, empty map with a shit story and no redeeming exploration whatsoever. The most interesting thing the game has going for it are the Monster Hunts, and they ultimately don't even lead to any relevant rewards. The summons seem to only kick in when you're in trouble in combat, which will rarely happen because the game is so pathetically easy. I played through the entire game and the only summon I ever saw were the ones that were scripted.

The biggest crime of the game is that it's actually pretty fun, but there's no incentive or reward to anything you do.

It's a shame too. The game had the template to be something awesome. And Cindy's cleavage.

EDIT: Matter of fact, the best thing to come out of that game were all the Cindy cosplayers. Google them. They're wonderful.

Oh yeah I own the digital version of this I forgot @best3444   Lol. Sorry. But yeah what @XxEvil AshxX said is pretty accurate.  I remember starting out the game was cool as fuck but the farther I went it felt empty. It could have been epic if done correctly. But I played it for about 25 hours before moving on. Got my money’s worth but probably never revisit it. 

I actually liked XV.  To date it's the only PS4 game that I've platinum'd.  The story isn't terrific, but it gets the job done; you know why you're doing what you're doing.  There's a ton of side-quest and optional stuff to do.  Good challenge bosses.  Combat is fluid once you get used to it.  The dungeons are all pretty fun (except Costlemark which might be in the running for worst dungeon in the entire series).  I enjoyed it.  Not a masterpiece by any stretch, but at $20 I wouldn't hesitate to grab it.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

I played it and beat it. 

I think the game is a big, empty map with a shit story and no redeeming exploration whatsoever. The most interesting thing the game has going for it are the Monster Hunts, and they ultimately don't even lead to any relevant rewards. The summons seem to only kick in when you're in trouble in combat, which will rarely happen because the game is so pathetically easy. I played through the entire game and the only summon I ever saw were the ones that were scripted.

The biggest crime of the game is that it's actually pretty fun, but there's no incentive or reward to anything you do.

It's a shame too. The game had the template to be something awesome. And Cindy's cleavage.

EDIT: Matter of fact, the best thing to come out of that game were all the Cindy cosplayers. Google them. They're wonderful.

This pretty much nails it, but I really liked the game overall. The bro roadtrip feels and camping is also awesome, it all feels like this weird nostalgic gap year between high school and college with four best buds. There's a cup noodle side quest. Your car can fucking fly, but it's awful. The combat is easy but fun. Spent like 100 hours on the game, could not recap the story for you to save my life, except that the main guy has to marry a girl who he only knows through sending journals via carrier pigeon puppy. It's weird. 

"That's it! I've come up with a new recipeeeeehhhhh...." is burned into my brain. 

8 minutes ago, mo1518 said:

"That's it! I've come up with a new recipeeeeehhhhh...." is burned into my brain. 

:lol: That friggin' guy!  And it was always common shit and he'd act like he invented it.

*Ignis orders a peanut butter and jelly sandwich from a restaurant*

"Ah-ha!  I've come up with a new recipe!"

Cracked me up every time.

15 minutes ago, Slug said:

:lol: That friggin' guy!  And it was always common shit and he'd act like he invented it.

I say it every time I cook. Microwave a burrito? That's it! Grill a steak? That's it! 

The way he pronounces recipe is incredible. 

7 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I dunno if XI and XIV were any good, but they should have been spinoffs, given they were paid MMOs.

That's a really weird and arbitrary line to draw. They were fully-fledged Final Fantasy games with Final Fantasy stories and characters. I mean, I could get on board with this if we also agreed that if they're not turn-based they also have to be spinoffs.

I played the PS4 version briefly (wasn't my copy) my impressions were combat seemed really easy.

I watched my friend play the PC version and it looks really good. (visually)

I'll get to it one day I suppose but I stopped playing Final Fantasy after FFX (which I enjoyed) I happened to get the other ones (XII and XIII, 2, 3 etc) but never started them.

I don't hate the game.  Maybe it's the fact that FF13 was just a shitshow, but I found the game enjoyable to a certain degree, minus the last few chapters being rushed or poorly designed, and some of the sidequests being tedious (looking at you Sania).

Despite what other say, I actually liked the cast when you include the majority of the DLC and the side stuff from the OVAs/movie.  Particularly,

Spoiler

I have to pity Ardyn for what exactly happened to him, which caused the whole scurge.  Had noble intentions, but getting backstabbed in the end by his own family was tragic in it of itself.

8 hours ago, mo1518 said:

8 hours ago, Slug said:

8 hours ago, mo1518 said:

I say it every time I cook. Microwave a burrito? That's it! Grill a steak? That's it! 

The way he pronounces recipe is incredible.  

• Haha 1

I beat this game just a couple weeks ago, absolute garbage plot that clearly had huge chunks cut out of it. Gameplay is super basic, I just warp striked everyone and one won most battles in the 5 seconds. Characters are decent and it is a pretty game but it is so disappointing how far the FF games have fallen.

I got about two hours into the game and stopped. :( 

I'm with the OP, though; I loved X and have beaten it multiple times. I never beat XII and thought the soundtrack was a step down, but I did enjoy my (long) time with it. X-2 was fun and different but not on the same level.

Never played 13.

The combat is so dissapointing. You litterally hold in a button and run around aimlessly killing the enemies. There's no strategy at all but more importantly, it's not fun. I'd actually preferred if they went turn based with this game. The world is beautiful and I enjoy the characters. I'm just sad about the combat.

I guess I'll take a break from gaming until Spidey starts the rush for the holiday season.

2 hours ago, best3444 said:

The combat is so dissapointing. You litterally hold in a button and run around aimlessly killing the enemies. There's no strategy at all but more importantly, it's not fun. I'd actually preferred if they went turn based with this game. The world is beautiful and I enjoy the characters. I'm just sad about the combat.

I guess I'll take a break from gaming until Spidey starts the rush for the holiday season.

Should try Nier Automata if you haven't already.  If the combat from that game was in FF15, it would've been epic.  FF15 to me was just a chill game to play that had enough nostalgia from early FF games that I enjoyed.  Yeah the combat isn't best but it's simple enough for a little kid to play.  Making magic and using it makes combat a bit more fun.  There are things that open up more in combat later that make it a bit more "fun" but it doesn't force you to use it.

14 minutes ago, eggydoo said:

Should try Nier Automata if you haven't already.  If the combat from that game was in FF15, it would've been epic.  FF15 to me was just a chill game to play that had enough nostalgia from early FF games that I enjoyed.  Yeah the combat isn't best but it's simple enough for a little kid to play.  Making magic and using it makes combat a bit more fun.  There are things that open up more in combat later that make it a bit more "fun" but it doesn't force you to use it.

I own Nier but stopped at some point. I have trouble with sticking to games these days. I'm all over the place. :(

5 hours ago, best3444 said:

Not to downplay your criticisms, but I do wish the game explained a bit of the combat system more, since there was a lot of the small but useful niches in it (sidestepping, backsteps, etc.).

Although it does suck that the Royal Arms outside of Armiger and other weapons weren't used commonly.