Update: SCOTUS to hear challenges to Texas abortion law on November 1

1 minute ago, SuperSpreader said:
210831111807-01-abortion-bill-protest-te
WWW.CNN.COM

A San Antonio doctor who wrote a Washington Post op-ed claiming that he had violated Texas' six-week abortion ban now faces a lawsuit brought against him under the ban.

I suggest that everyone read the article because it's not what you think.

It sounds like the only way we'll be able to get this through the courts is for an abortion to be conducted, a lawsuit to happen, and then a countersuit to the... judge? for handing out the penalty. Like there's a grey area the law specifically targets wherein state officials are not held responsible and therefore can't be sued... but then if a judge hands out a civil punishment, you could argue that the judge is acting as an agent of the state in that capacity, so... maybe?

Just now, Fizzzzle said:

It sounds like the only way we'll be able to get this through the courts is for an abortion to be conducted, a lawsuit to happen, and then a countersuit to the... judge? for handing out the penalty. Like there's a grey area the law specifically targets wherein state officials are not held responsible and therefore can't be sued... but then if a judge hands out a civil punishment, you could argue that the judge is acting as an agent of the state in that capacity, so... maybe?

The countersuit isn't necessary to challenge the law.

1 minute ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

In this case, wouldn't it be? The 5th circuit and supreme courts have already refused to file an emergency injunction, and the law states that state officials are not held responsible for enforcement of the law. The only way it could be challenged that I can see is someone has to get sued for performing/abetting an abortion, then force it to the court of appeals. I guess you're right, it wouldn't be a countersuit necessarily, just an appeal.

Though I'm not hopeful in the least that the appeal would be upheld at this point.

8 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Wait, if I understand this correctly, it WOULD take a different lawsuit. You would have to do something like sue the judge who handed out the punishment. That's the only way you could actually challenge the law itself, not just the individual case. Unless there's something I'm missing.

11 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

Wait, if I understand this correctly, it WOULD take a different lawsuit. You would have to do something like sue the judge who handed out the punishment. That's the only way you could actually challenge the law itself, not just the individual case. Unless there's something I'm missing.

The defendant in the lawsuit can argue that the law is unconstitutional as part of their defense.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

The defendant in the lawsuit can argue that the law is unconstitutional as part of their defense.

Doesn't the law day that the constitutionality of the law cannot be challenged as part of the defense?

Notwithstanding any other law, the following are not a defense to an action brought under this section:

(1)

ignorance or mistake of law;

(2)

a defendant's belief that the requirements of this subchapter are unconstitutional or were unconstitutional;

(3)

a defendant's reliance on any court decision that has been overruled on appeal or by a subsequent court, even if that court decision had not been overruled when the defendant engaged in conduct that violates this subchapter; ...

4 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Doesn't the law day that the constitutionality of the law cannot be challenged as part of the defense?

I don't see how that prevents the defense from arguing against the constitutionality of the law as part of their defense.  The objective would be to get a ruling on the constitutionality of the law regardless of what the law actually says.

21 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

This is probably the Dems’ best chance to not get totally stomped in the midterms.  As of right now they’ve done very little to inspire the base.

1 hour ago, Signifyin(g)Monkey said:

This is probably the Dems’ best chance to not get totally stomped in the midterms.  As of right now they’ve done very little to inspire the base.

Judges should be extremely exciting unless they only matter when Republicans do it. Relief bill was a good bill that actually brought positive change to many people.

Lots of good in infrastructure and if both that and reconciliation pass, I don’t want to hear excuses about how motivated someone is.

I honestly have no idea what it means for the future of this law that the first suit is being brought by someone from outside Texas who doesn't seem to really care about abortion.

On the one hand it highlights the insanity of the law, on the other it feels like this particular suit may get thrown out on other grounds and leave the law intact.

So, idea time. Can there just be a rotating fund used for those sued under Texas law? And then every doctor and person involved in abortion can tell one guy in Texas and that one guy can then go ahead of sue while everyone involved just choose to represent themselves. Doctors can then pull from the fund to pay the $10k to the one guy and then the one guy can go ahead and put it back in the fund.

Someone explain to me why this wouldn't work under the law as it's written.

On 9/21/2021 at 2:59 PM, Ghost_MH said:

So, idea time. Can there just be a rotating fund used for those sued under Texas law? And then every doctor and person involved in abortion can tell one guy in Texas and that one guy can then go ahead of sue while everyone involved just choose to represent themselves. Doctors can then pull from the fund to pay the $10k to the one guy and then the one guy can go ahead and put it back in the fund.

Someone explain to me why this wouldn't work under the law as it's written.

The suit will probably get tossed as being "frivolous" or some other legal provision that deprives it of standing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Update: Texas abortion law temporarily blocked by Federal judge
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Update: SCOTUS to hear challenges to Texas abortion law on November 1