Update: SCOTUS to hear challenges to Texas abortion law on November 1

A real, albeit incomplete, solution for this is that the federal government could pick up the tab or represent anyone sued under this Or any similar statute in any state. And because it directly impacts the federal budget it should have zero problem getting through recon

federal power and money should actually be used for an affirmative good

10 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

A real, albeit incomplete, solution for this is that the federal government could pick up the tab or represent anyone sued under this Or any similar statute in any state. And because it directly impacts the federal budget it should have zero problem getting through recon

federal power and money should actually be used for an affirmative good

Yes but as a bisexual woman our girl queen Kyrsten obviously supports the Texas law. 

1 minute ago, Air_Delivery said:

These tip lines are gonna be overwhelmed by bogus tips. I don't see how this system isn't gonna be rendered completely ineffective. 

If they can get the IP address of the submission and do some keyword filtering, they’ll get rid of a lot of chaff. They don’t need anything remotely close to a solid batting average here for it to “work.”

3 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

FB_IMG_1630616498815.jpg

Here's the kicker:  Islam is theologically more "liberal" when it comes to abortion than Texas.

"Islam and abortion - Wikipedia"

EN.M.WIKIPEDIA.ORG

I hate reading jokes calling this the American Taliban or Texas shariah or whatever. Muslims have nothing to do with this. The blame for this lies squarely with American Christians. American evangelicals are an evil and rotten group. Blame those fuckers.

17 minutes ago, thewhyteboar said:

I hate reading jokes calling this the American Taliban or Texas shariah or whatever. Muslims have nothing to do with this. The blame for this lies squarely with American Christians. American evangelicals are an evil and rotten group. Blame those fuckers.

analogies how do they work 

10 minutes ago, thewhyteboar said:

It's a lazy analogy.

It is odd that you are joining Islam and the Taliban at the hip here, when the point of the analogy isn’t that Islamic or Christian religious beliefs are bad (though I’m sure many think that too), but that both groups use their religious affiliation as a way to exert political/governmental/social dominance over everybody else.

2 hours ago, thewhyteboar said:

To me, it plays into the whole trope of "how can this happen here?" or "this is not who we are!!!!" When all of our history screams, yes this is exactly who we are. 

I just find it to me a lazy comparison when there are so many other analogues in American history.

As I said in another thread here, Americans are incapable of self-reflection. 99% of the right is too wrapped up in American exceptionalism, as is like 90% of the left and it's only that low because there are a bunch of African Americans mixed in there. James Loewen died like a week ago and nobody noticed because nobody remembered Lies My Teacher Told Me because nobody actually cares about the white-tinted glasses this nation wears outside of limp wristed complaints on social media. Remember that thread about schools banning books about America's racist history because CRT? Yeah, I didn't until now because you know, abortion and Afghanistan and COVID and what were we even talking about? Anyone know if any of those banned books were pulled out of the fire after social media "outrage"? Anyone even remember which books schools were banning?

getty-texas-capitol-760x380.jpg
ARSTECHNICA.COM

GoDaddy gave website "24 hours to move to a different provider."

The Texas site is going to have to find a new host. Apparently, the entire purpose of the site violates GoDaddy's terms of service.

GoDaddy took action after Gizmodo reported that Texas Right to Life's new website, prolifewhistleblower.com, seems to violate a GoDaddy rule that says website operators may not "collect or harvest (or permit anyone else to collect or harvest) any User Content or any non-public or personally identifiable information about another user or any other person or entity without their express prior written consent." GoDaddy's terms of service also say that customers cannot use the web hosting platform in a way that "[v]iolates the privacy or publicity rights of another User or any other person or entity, or breaches any duty of confidentiality that you owe to another User or any other person or entity."

I actually hadn't considered this and it may be a problem for them looking to host this elsewhere. I guess they could always go to Epik and join the likes of Gab and 8chan.

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Air_Delivery said:

I just wanna put down the whole "My body my choice" is a shitty argument. The anti aboritionists claim is that the fetus is a separate human.

A much better and more sensical argument is that a fetus isn't a person. 

The fetus is simply a parasite until approximately six months in. 

They're like a dog that actually caught the car. The truth is that the vast majority of Americans are in favor of legal abortions. It's a very vocal minority that is opposed. This isn't actually a win most of them want, because it actually hurts them. No one who was in favor of abortions being made illegal is going to change their voting habits based on this. Those people are already 100% engaged. It's a win with zero political upside for them.

People on the other side though? This is a major motivator. This will push people to vote and become politically active. Something like 75% of Americans are pro-choice.

Most republicans don't give a crap about this anyway. They just use it to keep the religious right happy. The truth is that the religious right and fiscal republicans are barely aligned politically. They are very strange bedfellows if you stop and think about it.

3 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

Jonathan Turley is an American attorney, conservative legal scholar, writer, commentator, and legal analyst in broadcast and print journalism.[1] A professor at George Washington University Law School, he has testified in United States Congressional proceedings about constitutional and statutory issues. He participated in impeachment hearings and removal trials in Congress, including the impeachment of President Bill Clinton and both the first and second impeachments of President Donald Trump.[2][3]

• Guillotine 1

20 hours ago, ort said:

They're like a dog that actually caught the car. The truth is that the vast majority of Americans are in favor of legal abortions. It's a very vocal minority that is opposed. This isn't actually a win most of them want, because it actually hurts them. No one who was in favor of abortions being made illegal is going to change their voting habits based on this. Those people are already 100% engaged. It's a win with zero political upside for them.

People on the other side though? This is a major motivator. This will push people to vote and become politically active. Something like 75% of Americans are pro-choice.

Most republicans don't give a crap about this anyway. They just use it to keep the religious right happy. The truth is that the religious right and fiscal republicans are barely aligned politically. They are very strange bedfellows if you stop and think about it.

Is this true? Obviously I only have personal anecdotes, but I know a lot of liberals who wish the party would go the other way on abortion. Over 40, I'd say its 50-50. 

1 minute ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Polls have consistently placed about 60% of the population in favor of keeping abortion legal. 

Good to know.

Im definitely pro choice, but I know a lot of Christian liberals who are against abortion. Including my grandmother and mother-in-law.  Like I  said, it was just anecdotal. I figured it was most Republicans and some liberals, getting to about 50% of the voting population against.