Lost Judgment (24 September 2021) - update: Judgment and Lost Judgment now available for PC (Steam)

Brian

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Lost Judgment announcement trailer - Coming worldwide on September 24 for PS4/5, XSX/S and XBO, no PC release "at this time"
7 hours ago, best3444 said:

Looks really interesting with great visuals. I'll keep an eye out on this.

Do you like Yakuza though? I thought you didn’t. I’m playing the ps5 version of the first Judgement now and it’s pretty good so far. I like the main character a lot more than the yakuza dude that’s for sure.

14 hours ago, stepee said:

Do you like Yakuza though? I thought you didn’t. I’m playing the ps5 version of the first Judgement now and it’s pretty good so far. I like the main character a lot more than the yakuza dude that’s for sure.

I like it, yes. Last time I played Yakuza I was drinking and wasn't fully invested in it. I remember liking it though. It was Yakuza 0. This looks great imo. 

• 2 months later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Lost Judgment (24 September 2021, PlayStation/Xbox consoles) - "Gameplay Showcase" trailer
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Lost Judgment (24 September 2021, PlayStation/Xbox consoles) - update: new gameplay trailer
  • 1 month later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Lost Judgment (24 September 2021, PlayStation/Xbox consoles) - update: Official Extended Story trailer
  • 2 weeks later...

I got around to playing the demo today. The team really amped up everything about the previous game in this. The combat is better, the following/tailing mechanics are a lot better but sadly still had a few camera issues in a few parts for the demo. 

Bring on the full game later this month!!

Thanks to Deer Leader, Bring on the 24th!! I've got the digital preorder ready to go.

33 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

Are the judgement games more exciting/streamlined than the Yakuza series? I wanted to like Yakuza but it was too bloated and they talked way too much.

They are alike. If you didn't like that part of Yakuza you won't like Judgment then. Story, as silly as it can get at times, is a key pillar of the series. 

34 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

No. It is extremely similar in design. 

12 minutes ago, chakoo said:

Thanks to Deer Leader, Bring on the 24th!! I've got the digital preorder ready to go.

They are alike. If you didn't like that part of Yakuza you won't like Judgment then. Story, as silly as it can get at times, is a key pillar of the series. 

Ugh.. that sucks. I didn't hate the story in the Yakuza games, it was just all the other shit you had to do. I was hoping Judgement would be a good story and more action but without the fluff.

43 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

Ugh.. that sucks. I didn't hate the story in the Yakuza games, it was just all the other shit you had to do. I was hoping Judgement would be a good story and more action but without the fluff.

If you want to give it a try

Game Information

Game Title: Lost Judgment

Platforms:

• Xbox Series X/S (Sep 24, 2021)
  • PlayStation 5 (Sep 24, 2021)
  • Xbox One (Sep 24, 2021)
  • PlayStation 4 (Sep 24, 2021)

Developer: Sega

Publisher: Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio

Review Aggregator

OpenCritic - 83 average - 87% recommended

Critic Reviews

Digitally Downloaded - 5 / 5 stars

If you exclusively follow the main narrative then you’ll find that in Lost Judgment, Ryu Ga Gatoku Studio has delivered something every bit as compelling and interesting as anything Raymond Chandler ever wrote. The central crime story is a riveting and often uncomfortably poignant reflection on society (and also Japan’s legal system). If, on the other hand, you’re more interested in more Yakuza-style zany side-styles and a deep collection of highly playable mini-games, the Lost Judgment has you covered there, too. I can’t see how anyone could fail to love this game.

Hey Poor Player - 5 / 5

Building upon its predecessor in every conceivable way, Lost Judgment is a superb sequel that tells a story that will leave you asking yourself what justice means to you. It’s a gripping thrill ride full of twists and turns that will keep you guessing until the very end. And even after the credits roll, the city streets will call you back for more with their countless distractions.

Twinfinite - 5 / 5

In short, Lost Judgement takes everything that was great about the original and makes it that much better. It’s got a magnificent story, great characters, an enormous amount of side characters, and great combat all in one package. It’s just one of those games that you won’t want to put down for bed while also being the reason you get up early for work in order to play just a little bit more. Lost Judgment is simply a perfect sequel.

33bits - Spanish - 95 / 100

The Ryo Ga Gotoku Studio establishes itself as one of the most consistent and fittest development teams today. Lost Judgment is an authentic work of craftsmen in which not only have all the mechanics of its predecessor been polished and refined, but also have been expanded to provide the game with an endless amount of content wrapped in a story that, despite the slowness of some sections is unforgettable and will make us reflect on the true meaning of the word "justice". A round sequel.

NaviGames - Spanish - 9.5 / 10

Lost Judgment is a gigantic, immense work, full of unique content. A gift for fans of this type of games and the culmination of a subgenre created and cultivated by the Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio. A fantastic detective thriller, able to make us feel like real detectives as few games have achieved.

Digital Chumps - 9.3 / 10

Even if you do the minimum amount of side content and just stick with the main story as much as possible, you’re in for a long, interesting, and fun game. The story matter is heavy, though, and might tax some players into taking breaks more often than they might typically. To balance that, there is a lot of good humor and zaniness that you would expect from this studio, but also some endearing missions in the School Stories section where you do everything from lead a dance team, help engineer robots, box, join a motorcycle gang, and partake in a Virtua Fighter 5 tournament. Additionally, the changes that LJ has compared to the original are all positive, too — big new areas to explore, new gameplay elements in both the action and adventure portions of the experience, and yet the best parts of the original are carried over. Ultimately, this is an excellent game that I readily recommend.

GameSpew - 9 / 10

For those who have played and enjoyed Judgment, the decision to pick up Lost Judgment should be a no-brainer. With a brand new story that’s just as engaging (if not more so) than the first, as well as many gameplay improvements and a bucketload of new content, it’s a fine example of a sequel done right. It’s like a lucky dip where every time you load it up to play you’re never sure what you’re in for – but you’ll rarely, if ever, be disappointed. Variety is the spice of life, they say, and Lost Judgment might just be the spiciest game I’ve played this year.

Gameblog - French - 9 / 10

Judgment was already very good. Lost Judgment is much better. It's as simple as that. The Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio has built a titanic adventure on the already very solid pillars of the first episode. Basically, the game features a captivating main story that shows Japan like few games have done. In parallel to this, he unfolds a second plot at least as dense that really plunges into a Japanese high school. And on top of that, the title has the luxury of offering dozens of quests and side business. All helped by improvements to the gameplay and sprinkled with new mini-games. Rumors claim that Lost Judgment could be the last episode of the series because of disagreements between SEGA and Takuya Kimura's agency.

Generación Xbox - Spanish - 9 / 10

Lost Judgment is a phenomenal improvement over its prequel and becomes a must-have for all Yakuza series fans out there.

Hardcore Gamer - 4.5 / 5

Coming away from any title in the Yakuza universe, to remark glowingly about its story and all the many characters and spots of exposition that entails, has become somewhat of a given.

PlayStation Universe - 9 / 10

A fantastic action adventure that taps directly into the root DNA of the Yakuza franchise, Lost Judgment not only manages to simultaneously boast both the darkest and the goofiest storylines of any title in the series to date, but it also stuns the player with an absolute avalanche of hugely entertaining side quests and activities. More than that though, Lost Judgment also provides solace for those who found themselves turned off by the turn-based combat system that the mainline Yakuza series now seems to favour, while welcoming newcomers to one of the best new Japanese franchises of the last two decades.

Pure Xbox - 9 / 10

Yakuza games have been arriving thick and fast over the years, but Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio still hasn't lost its touch. It's hard to think of another series with such regular entries that manages to constantly evolve at this level. While most don't add too much to alter the formula, Lost Judgment throws just about everything it can into its world without feeling over-saturated. With the main story, side quests, school stories, mini-games, exploration and other distractions, it's hard not to be impressed with what's on display. There's still an element of hand holding in the detective sections we'd love to see worked on and the lip-syncing may not be the best, but the team's first attempt at delivering a simultaneous worldwide release for the series is a gamble that has paid off and perhaps offers the best entry in the franchise so far.

Siliconera - 9 / 10

Lost Judgment, a follow-up to 2018’s Judgment, returns to detective Takayuki Yagami and his investigations in the shadier sides of Japanese society. And as Judgment becomes something of a franchise of its own separate from Yakuza, it’s increasingly finding its footing and learning its specialties.

Wccftech - 9 / 10

With its excellent detective story, extremely likable characters, and welcome improvements to combat and investigation mechanics, Lost Judgment won't disappoint any fan of the original, of the Yakuza series, or anyone looking for a very mature story. The game doesn't try to shake up the original formula, which may definitely put some players off, but this is hardly a problem when quality is as high as it is in the latest game from Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio.

Hobby Consolas - Spanish - 89 / 100

Lost Judgment adds new mechanics and minigames to the Yakuza formula, although it is still a conservative approach. We loved the story, the characters and the realistic streets of Kamurocho in Tokyo and Ijincho in Yokohama.

IGN Italy - Italian - 8.9 / 10

A sequel overflowing with content, well-written and scripted, and with a varied, deep and satisfying combat system.

The Games Machine - Italian - 8.8 / 10

Lost Judgment is a high quality sequel. It's fun to play, despite the few gameplay changes compared to its predecessor, and has a very engaging and well-acted story. There is never a moment of boredom when playing in the role of Takayuka Yagami, moving between Kamarucho and Yokohama in search of the truth, with a thousand doubts in mind, a thousand enemies to defeat and a thousand extra activities to try.

COGconnected - 85 / 100

Lost Judgment is a brilliant detective story that explores controversial subject matters to express a clear message about societal issues. Whilst there is a possibility that this could evoke some painful childhood memories, the considerate telling and satisfying conclusions to stories make them easier to digest. Although the game’s structure closely follows the path paved by its predecessors, Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio has refined and developed its conventions to create one of their finest releases to date.

GamingTrend - 85 / 100

Lost Judgement is a small leap forward for the Yakuza spinoff series. While I would have expected a bit more from a sequel, what's here is still just as enjoyable as the first game, if not more so. The highschool additions are a novel look at the often used Japanese setting, while still focusing on the crime drama and investigation fans love.

Prima Games - 8.5 / 10

Even though the actual detective parts don’t always hold up, the city, combat, story, and soundtrack all work together beautifully. Lost Judgment is an excellent package filled with noir mystery and a stellar cast. It’s worth making time for if you’re a fan of the first one, and if you’ve never played the series before, it’s a great place to hop in.

Worth Playing - 8.5 / 10

Lost Judgment can best be described as The Yakuza Game With The High School. It's familiar and comfortable, and it's likely to please fans of the franchise who weren't thrilled with the JRPG style of the last game. The storyline is sometimes too grim even for a Yakuza title, and it plays things a bit safe, but it's still a darn fun experience. If this really is the Judgment spin-off's last entry, then it's a fitting send-off to the sub-franchise.

GamesRadar+ - 4.1 / 5 stars

Lost Judgment is more of the same, with better detective work, great side cases, and fast-flowing combat.

Spaziogames - Italian - 8.2 / 10

Lost Judgment is too easy and doesn't reach the high levels of storytelling RGG Studio is famous for, but it's nonetheless a great crime action drama you may want to play.

Easy Allies - 8 / 10

Though it may tread familiar ground, Lost Judgment makes smart improvements over its predecessor and tells an enthralling narrative.

GuiltyBit - Spanish - 8 / 10

Lost Judgment is a very successful sequel for the position it is in. Its potential lies in its secondary activity, and with that we are left with a large number of hours of fun ahead.

Press Start - 8 / 10

Lost Judgment rectifies a lot of the shortcomings of its predecessor while repeating a few of them. A compelling murder mystery coupled with intoxicating side content and sumptuous visuals make this another solid Ryu ga Gotoku title even if franchise fatigue threatens to take off some of that shine. It succeeds by expanding on what made Judgment great while offering the best real-time combat experience yet. Plus, you can skateboard and solve crimes with a Shiba Inu – I don't think I need to say much more than that.

Saudi Gamer - Arabic - 8 / 10

It might not offer much over the previous entry, but it's still a polished experience, melding a lively world with a great battle system and an intriguing story. A relaxing experience more than a thrilling one.

VGC - 4 / 5 stars

Lively combat and engrossing social clubs keep you busy, but it’s the much-improved detective story that elevates Lost Judgment above the original.

Windows Central - 4 / 5 stars

Lost Judgment is a great mystery game with the signature Yakuza flair. If you're a fan, or even if you're not, you'll have a fun time with this game despite its dark subject matter.

Xbox Achievements - 80 / 100

If you need additional proof that developer Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio is a master of its craft, then look no further. Though slightly flawed in places, Lost Judgment is, nonetheless, yet another deeply compelling detective story, brimming with murder, mystery, intrigue, and more twists than a bag of pretzels.

Paste Magazine - 7.5 / 10

Tying Judgment to a combat system that even the original franchise has left behind feels like a decision to hobble the imagination this studio has demonstrated time and time again. We've spent over a decade and seven games learning what a Yakuza game feels like, and 2019's first step into the spinoff series Judgment impressed the hell out of me, but now it's time for the franchise to figure out what it wants to be. And I hope it can do that by standing on its own.

Game Informer - 7.3 / 10

I found a lot to love in the game, but its sloppy handling of sexual assault left a bad taste in my mouth. After a run of great games from developer RGG, Lost Judgment isn't quite up to snuff

GameSkinny - 7 / 10 stars

Lost Judgment is a good follow-up to 2019's excellent Judgment. It's more of the same, but that doesn't matter too much when the core is already great.

GameSpot - 7 / 10

Detective Yagami returns for another scintillating mystery that suffers from the same problems as before.

IGN - 7 / 10

Lost Judgment disappoints with its main story and simplistic detective work, but excels with its substantial school-based side quests.

Shacknews - 7 / 10

When I take a step back from Lost Judgment and look at all the individual parts, it feels more like a self-serve buffet rather than a specific meal that a chef made for me. There is a time and place for tossing everything you have at the wall and seeing what sticks, and there are also times when using restraint would be a better option. I am sure that my lack of experience in Japanese culture works against how I perceive many of the sequences in Lost Judgment and I’m sure series fanatics will eat it up. Sega is clearly capable of making a compelling mystery game that could stand in league with the work we see out of studios like Naughty Dog, but that will require a more focused, better-paced approach that Lost Judgement seems eager to avoid.

Digital Trends - 3 / 5 stars

Lost Judgment is a mechanically sound Yakuza spin-off, but its convoluted story makes it feel like a TV show that's gone on a few seasons too long.

ACG - Buy

Video Review - Quote not available

Chicas Gamers - Spanish - Unscored

The best game of Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio till the date. A masterpiece that every gamer shall play without no doubt.

Polygon - Unscored

There is just so much to do in Lost Judgment, both to its benefit and detriment. The story felt so bloated by the time it hit its climax that I was relieved to see it end. Ultimately, this is another case of one step forward, two steps back for Ryu ga Gotoku Studio, just like Yakuza: Like a Dragon and its presentation of topical issues in Japan. Even though Lost Judgment tries to open a conversation about bullying and sexual harassment, those themes end up taking a back seat in favor of bombastic drama. Lost Judgment succeeds in its emulation of a Japanese legal drama, but it's a mediocre one that would have benefited from a smaller scope, or at least, a better grasp on what it's trying to comment on.

Skill Up - Unscored

Video Review - Quote not available

SomosXbox - Spanish - Unscored

‎It was time to follow the good streak and is that‎‎ Lost Judgment is, without a doubt, one of the most colorful games and with better graphics that I have played on my Xbox Series X.‎‎ And that I have used the mode that prioritizes performance, but already in that mode the modeling, lighting and textures are wonderful. Yes, we still find some element in the scenario that squeaks, but the real-time modeling is a real madness.‎

TheSixthAxis - Unscored

So far, Lost Judgment has been punching, kicking, and backflipping its way into GOTY contention. If it can maintain or even improve its hits as the story continues, then it’s sure to be an incredible game.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Lost Judgment (24 September 2021, PlayStation/Xbox consoles) - update: reviews from OpenCritic posted
  • 11 months later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Lost Judgment (24 September 2021) - update: Judgment and Lost Judgment for the PC rated by ESRB
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Lost Judgment (24 September 2021) - update: Judgment and Lost Judgment now available for PC (Steam)