What’s the earliest age you think a child should get a part time job?

8 hours ago, Rachel said:

Huh? What’s dangerous about it. 

A 13 year old little girl getting on a bus to go to work by herself doesn't sound dangerous to you!? :/ 

Kidnap, rape, murder, etc etc etc etc etc.......

Etc......

4 hours ago, best3444 said:

A 13 year old little girl getting on a bus to go to work by herself doesn't sound dangerous to you!? :/ 

Kidnap, rape, murder, etc etc etc etc etc.......

Etc......

Doesn’t sound dangerous at all? I haven’t heard of a bus being a popular place for kids (or anyone) to get kidnapped, raped, or murdered. Well maybe in India but definitely not in Canada. In Canada riding the bus is safe. Most kids at 13 or younger ride the bus to and from school anyway where I’m from. Taking it to work isn’t that different. 

2 hours ago, Rachel said:

Doesn’t sound dangerous at all? I haven’t heard of a bus being a popular place for kids (or anyone) to get kidnapped, raped, or murdered. Well maybe in India but definitely not in Canada. In Canada riding the bus is safe. Most kids at 13 or younger ride the bus to and from school anyway where I’m from. Taking it to work isn’t that different. 

Ok, that's interesting. Canada must be safer but I never ever road a bus only a school bus. I just thought it would be dangerous with getting on a bus on the days you worked at that age with creepy guys and dangerous people in general. You made it out safe and apparently didn't run into any issues. 😎 

11 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Ok, that's interesting. Canada must be safer but I never ever road a bus only a school bus. I just thought it would be dangerous with getting on a bus on the days you worked at that age with creepy guys and dangerous people in general. You made it out safe and apparently didn't run into any issues. 😎 

Where I live they don't use school buses (well not many of them). Back in the day when I got off work tons of kids would be coming home on the public transpiration bus.

There aren't many rapist murders on the bus generally, either it's homeless folks or people going to work / school.

Personally when I went to school I'd just walk home which was like 3ish miles

23 minutes ago, best3444 said:

7 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Where I live they don't use school buses (well not many of them). Back in the day when I got off work tons of kids would be coming home on the public transpiration bus.

There aren't many rapist murders on the bus generally, either it's homeless folks or people going to work / school.

yeah where I’m from transit just has commuters including kids in junior high going to school and adults going to work. Same crowd as what you’d see on the average street and I’m from a nice city with a good crowd. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
4 hours ago, Rachel said:

yeah where I’m from transit just has commuters including kids in junior high going to school and adults going to work. Same crowd as what you’d see on the average street and I’m from a nice city with a good crowd. 

Ok. I live in a shitty city full of shitty people so my perspective is skewed.

19 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

That's interesting about kids using public transportation for school. You're in California, correct? So you mean there wasn't any school buses for kids at all?

21 minutes ago, best3444 said:

That's interesting about kids using public transportation for school. You're in California, correct? So you mean there wasn't any school buses for kids at all?

From my very little understanding of the situation, I guess it's a funding situation. Some schools got buses, some didn't from what I remember. I certainly don't remember any buses going to my school even though they had a big parking lot with buses in it.

This article was written fairly recently, looks like they are cutting back on buses even more

?url=https%3A%2F%2Fcalifornia-times-brig
WWW.ENCINITASADVOCATE.COM

The San Dieguito Union High School District board adopted its 2020-21 budget on June 18, agreeing to cut seven middle school bus routes.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, best3444 said:

where I’m from most schools don’t have their own buses. You take city transit. The occasional school had their own buses but usually in a situation where the zoning worked out that the area the students lived in had to be far removed from the school itself. Otherwise it’s city transit, walk, bike, or parents drive you. 

The only time I ever rode on school buses was for field trips. 

1 hour ago, Rachel said:

where I’m from most schools don’t have their own buses. You take city transit. The occasional school had their own buses but usually in a situation where the zoning worked out that the area the students lived in had to be far removed from the school itself. Otherwise it’s city transit, walk, bike, or parents drive you. 

The only time I ever rode on school buses was for field trips. 

That's a foreign concept to me. I rode a school bus everyday from kindergarten all the way up to about 10th grade. Interesting. 

7 hours ago, best3444 said:

That's a foreign concept to me. I rode a school bus everyday from kindergarten all the way up to about 10th grade. Interesting. 

I think it just depends on urban density. When I lived in the suburbs, we had busses for school all the way through high school. Portland itself does not. You have to find your own way. I think they only use school buses for field trips.

I think the idea is that schools are much more spread out in the burbs. In the city, the idea is that school is within walking distance.

12 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

I think it just depends on urban density. When I lived in the suburbs, we had busses for school all the way through high school. Portland itself does not. You have to find your own way. I think they only use school buses for field trips.

I think the idea is that schools are much more spread out in the burbs. In the city, the idea is that school is within walking distance.

I gotcha. Yea, I grew up in the burbs.