What’s the earliest age you think a child should get a part time job?

My dad was delivering newspapers at 12 and ended up being fairly successful coming from a poor family. So if they got the desire to get their hussle on let them have at it. 

• Upvote 1
13 minutes ago, Biggie said:

I don't know since I hate children and would never ever have any

Doesn’t mean you can’t answer the question 

24 minutes ago, Rachel said:

Doesn’t mean you can’t answer the question 

Well since I hate them........ 6 months and get your ass a job I'm not running a B&B

6 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Well since I hate them........ 6 months and get your ass a job I'm not running a B&B

This applies to cats and dogs also. Plenty of online jobs for animals these days to pay for their own food.

• Upvote 1

It very much depends on the individual child and their respective developmental environments. A good example is that children raised on a farm are using heavy and dangerous equipment by 12, and generally can be counted on to be responsible workers. Conversely I’ve met 20 somethings from the burbs that have no business working. Example, on one of my projects I had a guy taking a cigarette break, just feet from a clamped off, pressurized gas line. Yikes. For the average kid of my generation, where I’m from, it was 12-14 when they got their first real job, some started earlier though, but largely under the table work for family or friends of the family.

• Upvote 2

In Oregon, the legal minimum for non-agricultural work is 14, but most businesses generally will not hire someone until 16/17 because until then they can only work a max of like 3 hours a day up to 15 hours/week, plus the employer has to file a special permit. I did a series of under the table jobs before that, like helping at my friend's parents' restaurant and doing menial tasks at a body shop, but they were both casual like 6 hours/week gigs.

I started to help and earn money on my parents farm from about 7-8 years old and at 10-11 would work in our family business.

I loved helping on the farm but hated the more ‘real’ job so I’d slide towards either 16 or 18 (just as school in the UK can be very pressured and I’d want that to be the focus).

5 hours ago, gamer.tv said:

I started to help and earn money on my parents farm from about 7-8 years old and at 10-11 would work in our family business.

I loved helping on the farm but hated the more ‘real’ job so I’d slide towards either 16 or 18 (just as school in the UK can be very pressured and I’d want that to be the focus).

wow you were a child slave

• Haha 1
6 hours ago, gamer.tv said:

1 hour ago, Rachel said:

It’s why they are forced to live on an island cut off from modern society. 

• Haha 1

I think somewhere in the 12-15 range, most kids could handle some part time “work”. When I was that age, I was regularly walking the dogs of some elderly people in my apartment complex. Then when we moved into a house and I had to start mowing the yard, I did it for a few neighbors as well. You know, the kind of stuff that counts as a chore in your household, why not do it for others and get paid? 

2 hours ago, Rachel said:

Compared with my friends I was rolling in the cash. At least one new N64 game a month!

1 hour ago, gamer.tv said:

Compared with my friends I was rolling in the cash. At least one new N64 game a month!

You did legitimate farm work and only could afford one n64 game a month? Child. Slave. 

• Haha 1
8 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I said 16 because they can drive themselves to work. 

I took the bus to work when I was 13

18 minutes ago, Rachel said:

I took the bus to work when I was 13

Well aren't you special! I'm kidding but that sounds incredibly dangerous. IMO of course. 

21 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Well aren't you special! I'm kidding but that sounds incredibly dangerous. IMO of course. 

Huh? What’s dangerous about it. 

I would say 16. There are enough creeps and assholes in the world that kids don't need to be exposed to. I'm talking more jobs dealing with people. Working on a farm or landscaping work could be younger. 

I usually won’t hire younger than 16, but I’ve actually had a couple of really standout 15 year olds work for me.

The age I hate currently is around 22-26. They are the softest people I have working for me on average. No idea what it is about that current cohort in that age range but jeeeeez.

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

I usually won’t hire younger than 16, but I’ve actually had a couple of really standout 15 year olds work for me.

The age I hate currently is around 22-26. They are the softest people I have working for me on average. No idea what it is about that current cohort in that age range but jeeeeez.

College grads? I've worked with a few recent college grads that have never had to hustle a day in their life