Marvel's Spider-Man (Be Greater) and Miles Morales (Be Yourself) OT - update: Miles Morales PC release on 18 November 2022

Pikachu

14 minutes ago, stepee said:

I did, but still wouldn’t consistently hold at least like 90fps so it didn’t seem worth it to me. It’s like you mentioned, the fps kind of tanks when you get low to the ground, and even with vrr I don’t like the fps to be too inconsistent, and that causes it to still be in this 60-100 range that isn’t worth the tone down to me so I just locked at 60. Also my display flashes at the bottom with lower fps with vrr, so if it can’t consistently hold 90+ it’s especially noticeable. 

Parks And Recreation Nbc GIF by HULU

7 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

What TV/Monitor is it that's doing this?

Its a Visio PQH1  - It’s actually gotten better recently with a new patch, and I did know it had problems with 4k/120/vrr on pc when I got it. But some games as long as its 90+ or even like 85+ are fine and it looks great still. But as it creeps to 60’s it becomes super distracting. If i lock games to 60hz it works fine for the drops below that.

The problem is mostly that by having some 120fps vrr ability I realized it was something that I do care about now, I was too focused on 60hz still when i bought it. Vrr works better on the consoles on this so it’ll be a fine bedroom tv.

marvels-spider-man-remastered-pc-screens
WWW.EUROGAMER.NET

Want to go deep on the porting process for Marvel's Spider-Man Remastered on PC? Digital Foundry talks to developer Nixxes about the conversion.

One of the biggest releases of the summer, Sony continues to release PC ports of its enviable back-catalogue of first-party PlayStation titles. After shaky beginnings with Horizon Zero Dawn, these PC conversions have gone from strength to strength - and we were very impressed with the conversions of Days Gone and God of War. Just over a year ago, Sony acquired Dutch developer Nixxes - a studio that has previously delivered excellent PC ports of console titles - and with the team having already helped in improving the Horizon port, it has now delivered its first full project for PlayStation: Marvel's Spider-Man Remastered.

We've already covered the quality of the conversion elsewhere on Digital Foundry and we've also assessed how the same code runs on both Valve's Steam Deck and the cute AyaNeo Air - and crucial to our work was the assistance of Nixxes itself, who made four key staff members available to us during the review period for this discussion - as well as continuing dialogue and taking on our feedback the more time we spent with the game.

This interview is quite lengthy and took considerable time to transcribe but it offers a unique insight into the developmental process of this port from beginning to end, the choice of rendering API, the implementation of key PC enhancements including ultrawide support, plus how and why Nixxes boosted the fidelity of the game's already impressive hardware-accelerated ray tracing.

Answering all of our questions here is Nixxes studio head Jurjen Katzman, software engineer Michiel Rosa, graphics programmer Rebecca Fernandez and lead software engineer Coen Frauenfelder.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Marvel's Spider-Man (Be Greater) and Miles Morales (Be Yourself) OT - update: "Inside Marvel's Spider-Man Remastered on PC - the Nixxes tech interview" (Digital Foundry)
  • 3 weeks later...

I’m a bit happier with this port on desktop after playing some Miles again on ps5 and going back to this on pc. It looks quite significantly better on pc actually so I’m not as let down by the performance not being so stellar. The IQ looks a lot better than the fidelity mode on Miles even in DLSS performance.

While some of this is the higher res reflections, better draw distance, and dlss removing the taa blur, I think a lot of that is just the 16xAF. Consoles should really always start defaulting to 16xaf and then cut fron there, it’s crazy that 2-4x is still standard. Cut the res 3% or whatever if you have to in exchange.

I really think console games wouldn’t look much different besides having a cleaner sharper iq if they just considered 16x standard as it has been on pc for like 15 years now.

Anyway I also noticed that DLSS ultra performance ran worse than performance when I tried it seeing if that could get 120, which surprised me. So then I tried balanced, and noticed that actually ran better than performance. So then I tried quality and noticed that ran the best of all of them. So dlss must use some cpu resources that increases the more it has to scale I’m assuming and that it’s just enough to let me cpu bottleneck a few frames? 

Wish it were more optimized since my cpu is the bottleneck yet only being used 50% but now that’s its basically locked 60 with the RT on very high (i did turn objects down to 2 though) at 4k dlss quality, it’s pretty sweet lol. I’m ready to finally play the dlc on this.

2 hours ago, stepee said:

I’m a bit happier with this port on desktop after playing some Miles again on ps5 and going back to this on pc. It looks quite significantly better on pc actually so I’m not as let down by the performance not being so stellar. The IQ looks a lot better than the fidelity mode on Miles even in DLSS performance.

While some of this is the higher res reflections, better draw distance, and dlss removing the taa blur, I think a lot of that is just the 16xAF. Consoles should really always start defaulting to 16xaf and then cut fron there, it’s crazy that 2-4x is still standard. Cut the res 3% or whatever if you have to in exchange.

I really think console games wouldn’t look much different besides having a cleaner sharper iq if they just considered 16x standard as it has been on pc for like 15 years now.

Anyway I also noticed that DLSS ultra performance ran worse than performance when I tried it seeing if that could get 120, which surprised me. So then I tried balanced, and noticed that actually ran better than performance. So then I tried quality and noticed that ran the best of all of them. So dlss must use some cpu resources that increases the more it has to scale I’m assuming and that it’s just enough to let me cpu bottleneck a few frames? 

Wish it were more optimized since my cpu is the bottleneck yet only being used 50% but now that’s its basically locked 60 with the RT on very high (i did turn objects down to 2 though) at 4k dlss quality, it’s pretty sweet lol. I’m ready to finally play the dlc on this.

I also noticed that on PC maxed out, Spider-Man’s eyes have ray traced reflections - maybe it’s on PS5 too but I def didn’t notice it like I do on PC.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Marvel's Spider-Man (Be Greater) and Miles Morales (Be Yourself) OT - update: Miles Morales (PC) teaser trailer

The latest patch seems to have tightened up the ray tracing performance a little so I was able to put objects back to 4 and keeps everything maxed out with dlss quality at 60fps. Good stuff. 

Im curious since dlss3 does this at 8k/60 on a 4090 we know now, if it could do 4k/120 (in any dlss quality mode) since dlss3 helps with cpu also? You’d think that’s the metric they would show for that specific game if it could but maybe 8k gets people hotter. Technically 8k/60 and 4k/120fps should both require twice the processing power of 4k/60 but Spidey is cpu limited with RT.

• Shocked 1

• 2 weeks later...

Another patch made it even more stable for RT performance. Super happy with this port now that it holds 60fps even in times square with max RT and keeping objects at 4. I can’t wait to see what this will look like with dlss3 oh man. 

At the part with Miles now and it reminds me that while I like this peter better than the movie ones, Miles is the best SM.

Playing this again it’s gotta be in my top 10 of all time though, such a fantastic game. 

1 hour ago, stepee said:

Another patch made it even more stable for RT performance. Super happy with this port now that it holds 60fps even in times square with max RT and keeping objects at 4. I can’t wait to see what this will look like with dlss3 oh man. 

At the part with Miles now and it reminds me that while I like this peter better than the movie ones, Miles is the best SM.

Playing this again it’s gotta be in my top 10 of all time though, such a fantastic game. 

Miles voice got irritating to me after an hour in. Great game though, but not in my top 10.

1 hour ago, stepee said:

Share some good pics, you fool! 

:kiss:

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Marvel's Spider-Man (Be Greater) and Miles Morales (Be Yourself) OT - update: Miles Morales PC release on 18 November 2022
On 10/9/2022 at 12:11 PM, Brick said:

Share some good pics, you fool! 

:kiss:

I forgot about this, I lovvvve taking pics in Spider-man/Miles so I did some pics while playing on my deck (but running the game on my pc via moonlight) but I guess when you are streaming it just takes a blank pic. I got carried away and did like 30 and they were all  blank lol.

Generally when I play on pc there isn’t a good picture/upload method with the gamepad so I don’t take pics, I do on consoles sometimes because they let me just upload to twitter with a gamepad. Wish windows had a universal controller way of doing that…without needing game bar.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Spork3245 said:

@stepeeMiles Morales came out on Friday, did you get it? It’s weird, but the game looks worse to me than SM:R. Maybe it’s from my time with GOW:R, though. :p 
I dunno, the graphics just feel “off” somehow compared to the PS5 version. Maybe the frame generation implementation is weird right now or something, though

PS5 > 4090 confirmed 👍 

3 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

@stepeeMiles Morales came out on Friday, did you get it? It’s weird, but the game looks worse to me than SM:R. Maybe it’s from my time with GOW:R, though. :p 
I dunno, the graphics just feel “off” somehow compared to the PS5 version. Maybe the frame generation implementation is weird right now or something, though

I didn’t get it but comparing SM:R to ps5 Miles, the former definitely looks better, so I’m not sure why this would be the case here. FG in SM:R is amazing now with the latest nvidia drivers. My best guess would be hdr settings? I forget what it was but I remember thinking SM:R didn’t look quite right at launch and fixing it with hdr settings.

11 minutes ago, stepee said:

I didn’t get it but comparing SM:R to ps5 Miles, the former definitely looks better, so I’m not sure why this would be the case here. FG in SM:R is amazing now with the latest nvidia drivers. My best guess would be hdr settings? I forget what it was but I remember thinking SM:R didn’t look quite right at launch and fixing it with hdr settings.

I thought SM:MM looked better than SM:R on PS5. SM:MM also is more demanding on PC than SM:R

1 minute ago, Spork3245 said:

I thought SM:MM looked better than SM:R on PS5. SM:MM also is more demanding on PC than SM:R

Oh SM:MM definitely looks better than SM:R on ps5, there are improvements to Miles not in RM still. But even still on pc SM:R looks more impressive and I don’t see why Miles would be a step down. Probably just some setting, I would just swap back and forth to see what the difference is and adjust.

1 minute ago, stepee said:

Oh SM:MM definitely looks better than SM:R on ps5, there are improvements to Miles not in RM still. But even still on pc SM:R looks more impressive and I don’t see why Miles would be a step down. Probably just some setting, I would just swap back and forth to see what the difference is and adjust.

Oh, when you said that the former looked better that would mean SM:R so you confused the hell out of me :p 

I think it may be the frame gen, there's like a weird blur when it's on that's not there otherwise. It may be because I forced VSYNC in nvidia control panel, though, as I wanted to try it because of the latest driver update. 

Okay yeah couldn’t stop thinking about it and $33 so I got this today too - and yeah it looks amazing with dlss3 all maxed out and some of the improvements over SM:R which already looked fantastic. These games are just so good I don’t mind rebuying them. I’m sure I’ll get SM2 on ps5 and pc as well too.

Edit: I remember just two years ago wishing I could do the quality mode at 60fps and now here we are only it’s at fucking 120fps at much higher detail than that quality mode - yay technology!

• Sicko 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...