Marvel's Spider-Man (Be Greater) and Miles Morales (Be Yourself) OT - update: Miles Morales PC release on 18 November 2022

Pikachu

Well I platinum'd it last night. New Game+ goes really quick if you just stick with the main missions, even on Ultimate difficulty.  I collected everything you possibly could on my normal, first playthrough.  Might do the same for my New Game+ save file, but man some of those Challenges were tough.  And getting all of the bonus objectives on a few bases were also tough.  A bit too tough, IMO, as a lot of times I felt like it was just a matter of luck (cough, SCREWBALL challenges).

I hope they tweak the combat for the sequel though.  It was almost perfect, but there were a few issues I had with it on the higher difficulty levels. I think my biggest gripe is the camera never focused on what I needed it to if I left it alone, which was a bigger issue if I was next to a wall or large object that obscured my screen.   Now I've played all the Arkham games so I was familiar with how the combat should go, and aside from un-training myself from the couple of differences between the Arkham and Spider-man combat mechanics (dodge/counter and racking up combos), I could never get used to the camera in Spider-man.  This is probably because of the nature of dual analog controls, as I played the Batman games with a mouse and keyboard.  Not only do you have full control of the camera with a mouse and keyboard, you can use every single one of your combat moves while simultaneously controlling the camera, and that simply isn't possible with a dualshock 4 setup.

I also felt like I had to dodge way too often (but perhaps this was because of Spectacular/Ultimate difficulty levels as opposed to lower settings).  I didn't have a problem with dodging most of the time - although sometimes the cues did not happen or it was hard to see because of the camera angles.  My biggest complaint is dodging would change my positioning, so if I had worked really hard to set up enemies to a specific location to combo some gadgets or stick them to walls, I would the majority of the time have to dodge some other attack which ruined EVERYTHING!  Now as I started to master the combat I just learned to live with what the game was giving me, but with all of these powers and gadgets at my disposable I felt like I should have had more control in manipulating the enemy.

I wish moves that required dual webs (web yank, web throwing objects, air yank) happened just a little bit quicker.  I mean the game played fine and felt really good if I just stuck to air combat moves, but the stuff on the ground felt too slow so I felt annoyed a lot when bonus objects required me to do those kinds of moves.  It was always difficult to do those moves and rack up a high combo, because I would have to dodge in the middle of a web throw.

The swinging felt amazing.  The one thing I would tweak is the targeted ledge/point for web zipping was questionable too often, and was frustrating because sometimes it wouldn't target the ledge in the center of my screen even though it was within range and I was manually moving the camera to that ledge.

And in the next game I'd like to see more mechanics revolving around crawling on the ceiling or wall.  This was not even used outside of some directed action.  I would have liked to see a stealth area where I can do things from the ceiling and not just a vantage point or cross beam.  I want to do the things Spider-man was doing in the MJ train station sequence, except, you know, have full control. 

On 1/14/2019 at 12:08 AM, Brick said:

Beat it. Dat ending! 

Also, Dat post credits tease! 

Can't wait to see what Insomniac does with the sequel. I wonder if they'll put it in another part of New York, or add to Manhattan. It'll probably be on PS5. 

You still have the DLC!  

Exciting, except for the Hammerhead one.  It was pretty blah.  Hammerhead as a character is extremely weak, but at least Black Cat and Sable make up for it.

34 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

You still have the DLC!  

Exciting, except for the Hammerhead one.  It was pretty blah.  Hammerhead as a character is extremely weak, but at least Black Cat and Sable make up for it.

Oh yeah, I definitely want to get the DLC now. 

I'll also do a New Game+ at some point so I can earn more Challenge tokens so I can get all the suits. I can't seem to get Gold in a lot of them, so I'll just have to settle with Silver by doing NG+. 

3 hours ago, Brick said:

Oh yeah, I definitely want to get the DLC now. 

I'll also do a New Game+ at some point so I can earn more Challenge tokens so I can get all the suits. I can't seem to get Gold in a lot of them, so I'll just have to settle with Silver by doing NG+. 

You get more challenges to earn tokens with the DLC.  You also get more bases if you're short on them.  And more crimes pop up for token earning.

Gold is very hard in a lot of them.  There were some I replayed for over an hour trying to get gold.  I might have spent two hours on one of them.  The swinging ones were the hardest for me.  Stealth ones were easiest to get gold.  Combat was a bit challenging early on, but was definitely easier once all skills and gadgets were unlocked.  Bomb challenges were tense - and this is where my frustration with trying to aim my web zip + point launch came into play.  Often it would target weird shit.  I definitely spent the most time on the drone challenges, until about halfway through I realized that you didn't have to exactly follow the blue path to get those bonus points.  All that matters with those is not missing one and doing it fast, so you can take shorter routes when you know where the next one is going to be.  But even after that I still struggled getting gold.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
2 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Be nice if they’d release it as a stand-alone instead of making me buy the game again on PS5. 

I'm confused now after reading up on this.  Is it a PS5 patch of original and can buy expansion or going full japanese style where we will have to rebuy it like Persona games?

11 minutes ago, eggydoo said:

I'm confused now after reading up on this.  Is it a PS5 patch of original and can buy expansion or going full japanese style where we will have to rebuy it like Persona games?

Its essentially a remaster for PS5 hardware with a large Miles expansion. You gonna buy the whole game again.

41 minutes ago, eggydoo said:

28 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

Its essentially a remaster for PS5 hardware with a large Miles expansion. You gonna buy the whole game again.

It's the identical situation to The Last of Us Remastered where that was a completely new purchase which included the Left Behind DLC.

3 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

3 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Be nice if they’d release it as a stand-alone instead of making me buy the game again on PS5. 

1 hour ago, eggydoo said:

1 hour ago, SimpleG said:

55 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

Lol no thanks

34 minutes ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

It's the identical situation to The Last of Us Remastered where that was a completely new purchase which included the Left Behind DLC.

I forget if it was @Greatoneshere or @skillzdadirecta who said this might be more a Lost Legacy deal. Or maybe it was neither, I don't even know. But that's what it is; it's NOT a remaster. It's more like inFamous: First Light by the sound of it.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-06-12/new-spider-man-game-for-ps5-will-be-separate-from-original?srnd=technology-vp

In truth, Spider-Man: Miles Morales is not an expansion or enhancement but a new video game, the person said, comparing it to Uncharted Lost Legacy, a game from Naughty Dog Inc. that was smaller in size and scope than a mainline Uncharted title. Uncharted Lost Legacy sold for $40 rather than the standard $60, and Spider-Man: Miles Morales is expected to follow a similar path.

Spider-Man took around 40 hours to complete play of the game, while Spider-Man: Miles Morales is expected to be significantly smaller.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Wasn't me either but it makes sense that it's just an expansion. Still great to get two Insomniac games though.

It's not an expansion either as "expansion" implies that you'd need the base game to play it which doesn't appear to be the case.

Now I get it - it's like Uncharted: Lost Legacy or inFAMOUS: First Light.

• Thanks 1

Lost Legacy was ~8hrs compared to Spider-Man's ~24. I was shocked when they said this year, so I guess that's what they had to cut it down to in order to get it out fast enough.

I'd have preferred a full sequel, but I really loved Spider-man, so I'll take what I can get. At least we can expect this one to be rid of the annoying load times we had in the PS4 game.

I also assume that they're saving gameplay footage for some other event. It seems odd that we got so little gameplay of a game coming out so soon.

11 minutes ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

It's not an expansion either as "expansion" implies that you'd need the base game to play it which doesn't appear to be the case.

I mean, yeah, that's what I meant, I should have been more clear. 

31 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Wasn’t me but I’ll take it

28 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Wasn't me either but it makes sense that it's just an expansion. Still great to get two Insomniac games though.

It was johnny and Brick.

11 hours ago, johnny said:

I think it’s going to be something like Uncharted The Lost Legacy

11 hours ago, Brick said:

If that's the case then I'm definitely on board (I mean I'm on board anyway, but if it's like TLL where it's bigger than an expansion that will be much preferred).

How I mistook them for you two, I don't know. Your names aren't anywhere close. :| 

• Haha 2

Haven't a lot of Sony's big 1st Party titles gone though route for expansinos.

Stand Alone Games that are like 5-15 hours?  

Infamous Last Light

Last of Us Left Behind

Uncharted Lost Legacy

So while it's technically a stand alone game, I can see why an exec would call it an expansion.  

4 hours ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

Being unfamiliar with those, I still don't get it.