The Whole Goddamned Planet is getting ready for a fucking monster fire/flood/hurricane/typhoon/drought season

Yeah. I mean, I hate bugs as much as the next person, but when I see a field that is normally filled with crickets in the spring, or when I go on a road trip and no bugs hit the windshield, I just think" this is probably really bad." Bugs are close to the bottom of the pyramid, and they're... gone.

Bees, dragonflies, mosquito hawks/crane flies... now that I think about it, I haven't seen a mosquito hawk in YEARS. I literally cannot fathom the last time I saw a mosquito hawk. I feel like all I see now are daddy long legs, butterflies, and the occasional bee. And centipedes. And fruit flies, you can never escape those fuckers once they're in your house. My house is 130 years old, you bet we have fruit flies.

15 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

Yeah. I mean, I hate bugs as much as the next person, but when I see a field that is normally filled with crickets in the spring, or when I go on a road trip and no bugs hit the windshield, I just think" this is probably really bad." Bugs are close to the bottom of the pyramid, and they're... gone.

Bees, dragonflies, mosquito hawks/crane flies... now that I think about it, I haven't seen a mosquito hawk in YEARS. I literally cannot fathom the last time I saw a mosquito hawk. I feel like all I see now are daddy long legs, butterflies, and the occasional bee. And centipedes. And fruit flies, you can never escape those fuckers once they're in your house. My house is 130 years old, you bet we have fruit flies.

And pantry moths. Wouldn't wish them on my worst enemy. 

I fucking hate bugs myself, and they have been real bad in Southern Ontario this summer. My area is just southwest of Toronto is just full of flies and mosquitoes. I will admit the mosquitoes didn’t really start until about 5 weeks ago (real bad past 10 days or so) which was a little later then usual this summer cause they eat me alive.  What has been real bad though have been grasshoppers, with the many holes in all our leaves in the garden. Japanese Beetles are horrendous and have been for past 3-5 years and have a bucket to flick them into to drown in soapy water. Usually over 100+ every week from mostly our Raspberry plants and my moms grape leaves. This summer though was the summer of the earwigs because of the lack of heat that the past summers have brought. Find them on the ground, in the dogs pool, our standup pool and everywhere in our plants. Finding them nestled in the new growth on my marijuana plants or the flowers of the veggie garden. 

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to The Whole Goddamned Planet is getting ready for a fucking monster fire season
47 minutes ago, Zaku3 said:
3147.jpg?width=1200&height=630&quality=8
WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

IPCC’s landmark report will be most comprehensive assessment yet as governments prepare for pivotal UN talks in November

The world's response to said warning from climate scientists will be something like....

Spoiler

the-simpsons-homer-simpson.gif

The IPCC report all but confirms that we're now past climate change "tipping points" and that many effects are now inevitable and irreversible:

4928.jpg?width=1200&height=630&quality=8
WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Report warns temperatures likely to rise by more than 1.5C bringing widespread extreme weather

Human activity is changing the Earth’s climate in ways “unprecedented” in thousands or hundreds of thousands of years, with some of the changes now inevitable and “irreversible”, climate scientists have warned.

Within the next two decades, temperatures are likely to rise by more than 1.5C above pre-industrial levels, breaching the ambition of the 2015 Paris climate agreement, and bringing widespread devastation and extreme weather.

Only rapid and drastic reductions in greenhouse gases in this decade can prevent such climate breakdown, with every fraction of a degree of further heating likely to compound the accelerating effects, according to the International Panel on Climate Change, the world’s leading authority on climate science.

20 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

The IPCC report all but confirms that we're now past climate change "tipping points" and that many effects are now inevitable and irreversible:

WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Report warns temperatures likely to rise by more than 1.5C bringing widespread extreme weather

So if the UN meeting doesn't embrace Karl Marx and/or start the Earth Federation it's GG?

35 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

brb gonna roll some coal in my f150

3 hours ago, Zaku3 said:

So if the UN meeting doesn't embrace Karl Marx and/or start the Earth Federation it's GG?

I have no idea what the UN should embrace, but I'm fairly certain that "liberal democracy" with its emphasis on individual liberties/rights/freedoms is fundamentally and structurally ill-equipped -- and possibly outright harmful -- to addressing what effectively amounts to an existential crisis.

11 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I have no idea what the UN should embrace, but I'm fairly certain that "liberal democracy" with its emphasis on individual liberties/rights/freedoms is fundamentally and structurally ill-equipped -- and possibly outright harmful -- to addressing what effectively amounts to an existential crisis.

Liberal democracy the great filter conformed.