The Whole Goddamned Planet is getting ready for a fucking monster fire/flood/hurricane/typhoon/drought season

Woke up this morning to our first ash of the wildfire season. This I believe is from the Tamarack fire as the wind has slowly shifted direction and we should be getting more as the wind shift is completed. Reading up this fire it was a lightning strike that hit a tree they thought would burn out but a freak wind storm now has it up around 40,000 acres. One of our neighbors has been directed by the county to take one of our engines to help. Pretty much if you draw a straight line from our town West it is just over the mountains.

ash2021.jpg

Also one a side note all the idiots that didn't want to mask up for COVID are happily wearing masks about town due to the ash in the air. 

12 minutes ago, Littleronin said:

Woke up this morning to our first ash of the wildfire season. This I believe is from the Tamarack fire as the wind has slowly shifted direction and we should be getting more as the wind shift is completed. Reading up this fire it was a lightning strike that hit a tree they thought would burn out but a freak wind storm now has it up around 40,000 acres. One of our neighbors has been directed by the county to take one of our engines to help. Pretty much if you draw a straight line from our town West it is just over the mountains.

ash2021.jpg

Also one a side note all the idiots that didn't want to mask up for COVID are happily wearing masks about town due to the ash in the air. 

The fires will kill COVID-19

3 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

The fires will kill COVID-19

Our local meteorological crew did a great writeup on the impact of the ash and haze we're experiencing in Nashville today:

smoke_lvl5_f18.png
NASHVILLESEVEREWEATHER.COM

We have reached the end of the rain! We’re staying dry for today and tomorrow. Any blips of storms on the models stay south of us. There is not much of a […]

I stepped outside for like 5 minutes earlier and now my sinuses are congested and I'm coughing. 

11 minutes ago, CayceG said:

Our local meteorological crew did a great writeup on the impact of the ash and haze we're experiencing in Nashville today:

smoke_lvl5_f18.png
NASHVILLESEVEREWEATHER.COM

We have reached the end of the rain! We’re staying dry for today and tomorrow. Any blips of storms on the models stay south of us. There is not much of a […]

I stepped outside for like 5 minutes earlier and now my sinuses are congested and I'm coughing. 

Post apocalyptic stuff makes me go uhhhhh nana nanaaaaa

9 minutes ago, Joe said:

In a Jersey suburb, the haze was intense. Our AQI was at 160 and I played tennis in it. Probably wasn’t the smartest decision I’ve ever made.

I spent a fair amount of  the day watching our AQI rise continuously - I think we peaked at about 135 before some intense thunderstorms rolled through.

Tamarack fire is now crossed into Nevada. They are looking at it being a long term burn at this point that will get much bigger. Yesterday's report had it about 3-5 miles from the California-Nevada border. Newest map shows it in Nevada. Not too far off of farmlands at this point. I believe they are saying it will push North East with the winds today. 

39 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Air Quality is VASTLY improved today - the rainstorms did the trick.

did the same for us a couple days ago in Ontario, but could see it return along with the hot and humid weather on Sunday or Monday. Gotta keep even the doggos inside more often because of it and they run to the floor vents for relief

Let's have fun with updates. The county next to ours issued a "prepare for evacuation" order and currently as a bird flies the newest fire line is about 20-25 miles from our town. The National Park that is in our county is now closed. As much as it sucks to sound less empathetic the winds for today should move the fire East to North East. Tomorrow they are expecting a wind shift.  

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

Let's all bet—which one of us on D1P will lose their home to an extreme climate event first? Loser owes everyone else $10.

Seeing as this has already happened to a poster here and may happen again for all we know, I don't think this is a fun bet. :(

6 minutes ago, marioandsonic said:

Shit, when was that?

It was Hardact like a year or two ago. He lived in CA and his house burned down. Then he moved to Oregon and seemed happy that he was escaping the fire madness and now it seems like Oregon is worse than CA. I think of him a lot.

• Sad 2

Visibility today here is down to 1/4-1/2 mile. But checking out our emergency management briefing in the county it looks like last night was a favorable night on the North side and somewhat on the Southeast lines. Looks like they have saved a small group of home on that line last night for now. Today they are worried because winds will be strong and pushing Southeast. Air quality his has bounced around this morning between the hazardous and very unhealthy range and it is expected to get worse as the day goes on. 

When I was a kid, we had a vacation home in central Oregon in a place called Sunriver (yes, my family had it like that for a while). We would spend weekends there maybe once a month or so. It's like a 4 hour drive from Portland that takes you through the mountains, then the canyon, then the desert, then the mountains again.

I remember that we had to bring special wash for the windshield for all of the bug guts that would be strewn across the windshield. Like we had to stop the drive halfway through to clean the windshield.

I never really thought about that before, but in 2019 me and my ex made that same drive, and I noticed that not one bug was on our windshield. It didn't occur to me right away, but like a month later someone mentioned something about bugs on windshields and it hit me like a ton of bricks. I was like we used to have to stop to clean bug guts off the damn windshield. Now there's none.