The Whole Goddamned Planet is getting ready for a fucking monster fire/flood/hurricane/typhoon/drought season

1 hour ago, Dodger said:

How the fuck is Phoenix not number 1? All these places crying they will see 100 degree heat, fuck I get happy when it’s only 105 here in the summer.

Difference is the vast majority of homes and small buildings in general in the northwest don't have air conditioning. In Portland only something like 30% of homes have AC, so when it goes over 100, there is no escape.

1 hour ago, Fizzzzle said:

Difference is the vast majority of homes and small buildings in general in the northwest don't have air conditioning. In Portland only something like 30% of homes have AC, so when it goes over 100, there is no escape.

I think he was asking how is Phoenix not the number 1 most air conditioned city because it’s always hotter than the surface of the sun there

8 hours ago, mclumber1 said:

The thing about trees that provide shade to a house is that if they are too close to the house, they can do massive damage to the foundation/basement walls of the house.  At our last house in Oregon, we had to cut down an elm tree that was ~8 feet from the side of the house, because the roots were forcing the basement wall to heave in.  If we continued to let it grow, it would have cause further structural damage.  

So you may think your landlord was being a dick for cutting down a tree, but in reality they were probably just protecting their house from structural damage. 

i understood why it just sucked because it helped with the temperature a lot 

1 hour ago, osxmatt said:

I am more shocked at the range from low to high than the high itself. I think the largest spread this week for our temps is like 15 degrees!

30 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I am more shocked at the range from low to high than the high itself. I think the largest spread this week for our temps is like 15 degrees!

Overnight temps will only remain higher if the ground absorbs the heat during hot days - so if you have a number of very hot days in a row, the overnight low temp will likely be higher as the ground radiates the heat it captured during the day.  The PNW would have to have many, many hot days in a row to drive up the overnight lows to uncomfortable levels. 

Our overnight lows in the Vegas area are usually in the high 70s to low 80s during the heat of the summer, with the highs being 105 to 110. 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

Overnight temps will only remain higher if the ground absorbs the heat during hot days - so if you have a number of very hot days in a row, the overnight low temp will likely be higher as the ground radiates the heat it captured during the day.  The PNW would have to have many, many hot days in a row to drive up the overnight lows to uncomfortable levels. 

Our overnight lows in the Vegas area are usually in the high 70s to low 80s during the heat of the summer, with the highs being 105 to 110. 

File this under “you learn something new everyday” I did not know the grounds heat absorption influenced over night temps to such a degree 

51 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

Yup I believe its called

We would regularly experience brutal temperatures on the aircraft carrier while on deployment.  On top of the fact that we'd be doing circles in the Persian Gulf in the summer, the engine room had no air conditioning.  Instead, it had ventilation ducts that would draw in outside air.  If the outside air happened to be 110 degrees, then that's the minimum temperature in the engine room.  Add in all of the steam power equipment, it was usually much hotter.  At our feed pumps (steam driven), I regularly saw temps in excess of 130 degrees.  You could drink a few gallons of water while on a 4 hour watch and not have to go to the bathroom once. 

• Shocked 1