The Whole Goddamned Planet is getting ready for a fucking monster fire/flood/hurricane/typhoon/drought season

21 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

I think he means a general range, not that they are identical. Really, measurement scales are something that you get used to. If Celsius was standard and then you switched to Fahrenheit, you'd likely say the same thing (that F makes no sense, is arbitrary, etc). Really that applies to all human experience—you like what you are used to, and other things are strange and scary.

They're not even the same ballpark though. 68 can be cool or warm-ish depending on the wind and whatnot. 77 is warm but still pleasant. 86 is hot.

3 minutes ago, Nokra said:

Google is saying 107 here in my neighborhood of Portland. I'm so glad my building is new enough that I have AC in my apartment. It's struggling to keep up, but 75 is a hell of a lot better than 107. 

It was 77 in my room when I left my house today and I live in the basement lol. I can't imagine what the rest of the house has been like. I know a few others have window units but if everyone used one we'd trip the power.

5 hours ago, Jason said:

They're not even the same ballpark though. 68 can be cool or warm-ish depending on the wind and whatnot. 77 is warm but still pleasant. 86 is hot.

When you live somewhere long enough under the local scale you adjust and get use to it. To some canadians that are use to the cold 5c is pretty damn warm for them where I still find it cold till it's above 12c. Again i'm from southern california so 86 is quite warm but I wouldn't really consider it a hot day till it's 90+ since that is what I grew up with. Actually atm it's currently 27c (81f) and i'm doing pretty good with the AC off (haven't had it on today). 

I’m the idiot Canadian who will/did wear shorts in the winter time, even during a snow storm. Always brought emergency pants in the car if I got stuck, but I was either home or working. I’m a bigger guy and I liked the feeling of the cold for a few minutes from car to store, compare to being hot wearing pants working in store. 

I cut down all the trees that shade my house so I could put solar panels all the way down that section of roof that is tilted south and runs 70 feet east/west.

2 hours ago, johnny said:

landlord got rid of the big ass tree that was in front of my place like two years ago. it provided so much shade. 

The place I used to live had a tree right next to it. But the park owner had a glorious idea he wanted to move whatever next unit he wanted to install next on the opposite side of the lot, so they cut the tree down. It was a unique tree too, I'm not sure what it was called but yeah, it's gone now!

The thing about trees that provide shade to a house is that if they are too close to the house, they can do massive damage to the foundation/basement walls of the house.  At our last house in Oregon, we had to cut down an elm tree that was ~8 feet from the side of the house, because the roots were forcing the basement wall to heave in.  If we continued to let it grow, it would have cause further structural damage.  

So you may think your landlord was being a dick for cutting down a tree, but in reality they were probably just protecting their house from structural damage. 

1 hour ago, SaysWho? said:

Seattle and Portland broke all-time records yesterday:

Seattle: 104

Portland: 112

The kicker? They're set to BREAK THOSE ALL-TIME RECORDS TODAY. Looking at just a couple models for today:

Seattle: 111

Portland: 115

Apparently it's that hot in the Arctic too. :s

7 minutes ago, SilentWorld said:

Could this be the beginning of the end of humanity? 

From what I understand, the only way climate change could really wipe out humanity is if we managed to enter a cycle that ended in a greenhouse planet, like Venus. My understanding is that this is not possible based on Earth's orbit.

Climate change can't wipe out humanity, but it can create situations that cause political unrest, and that could potentially cause collapse of the global, interconnected civilization (and all the supply lines that go with it).

6 minutes ago, Dodger said:

How the fuck is Phoenix not number 1? All these places crying they will see 100 degree heat, fuck I get happy when it’s only 105 here in the summer.

Right?  Here in Vegas it was like 107 and I was enjoying the relative coolness of it while working in my garage on my car yesterday.